Symmetrical Set Up

Iristone

Louie Bellson (the first double bass drum player, I think also the first "beer can" bass drum)
28A266BD-C225-404C-A3B2-6F21638F69D0.jpeg
Keith Moon (alledgedly using the left floor tom as trays for various things)
4CF70645-8425-41BF-B79D-BC01E8F7FDFD.jpeg
Seemed like neither had a hi-hat at the point (EDIT: there's actually one in Louie's kit, just in the back) - they both moved to a more conventional (but still large) arrangement when they added the hi-hat to their kits.

Last edited:

cbphoto

Gold Member
Anyone have experience playing a Bill Bruford type set up? I'd have to buy a remote Hi Hat, I only have a closed remote Hi Hat stand currently.
The set up is interesting, and with me getting older, I think maybe this would be a good thing for minimal reach.
Just wondering if people have tried it and gave it up for being too weird to get used to. I guess I could always incorporate the remote Hi Hat into the current set up if it didn't work out.
Yes, I use a center-hat setup. I did it to force myself to improve my left hand and help myself learn new ideas for fills. As long as I keep practicing, It’s working. All four paradiddle rudiments come in very handy for this type of setup

The Tama remote high hat comes with a long cable, which is useful if you want the hats on the opposite side from the pedal. There’s a short cable for use when the hats are centered, but it’s a separate purchase.

8FF58998-CC10-4822-B3CE-02C19083188E.jpeg

Otto

Platinum Member
I use a setup like that...I really love it.

It made me question cliche' playing and even the validity of artificially distinguishing a part of my playing as a 'fill'.

Also led me to become symmetric in my approach to the set...I did not like the effect on my playing once my left and right sides were much more equal...so I consciously went back to allowing a dominate hand lead approach which was far better to my ear. - all while making my left hand far more facile.

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I would be interested in an opinion on hi hat in the center using remote vs learning to use the left hand to play the high hat and avoid crossover.

If someone became reasonably skilled in left hand HH playing, what are the remaining benefits in having a centered remote HH?
Being able to use either hand on it equally.

Darth Vater

Just wow! I could never get used to those setups. Not saying they're bad, I guess I'm just so used to traditional setups after 53 years of drumming. :oops:

Otto

Platinum Member
I think we are underestimating the effect of instrument placement on our mental approach to making art.

Knowing you can get to HH and Snare equally ultimately defeats a static approach to the use of those voices..another avenue to creative writing.

iCe

For a while i was really tempted to do something like Danny Carey's setup. Although not symmetrical, i like(d) the idea of having a hi-hat in the center so i could 1) bring the rocket toms in more closely and 2) don't have to haul an x-hat and secondary hi-hat around anymore. But i always keep reverting to what i like, so i thought i'd keep the money in my pocket and not having to completely invent a new setup for myself.

1600323303711.png

The other setup i've liked for years is the "small" setup Mike Mangini used before joining Dream Theater. Nice symmetrical kit and also had the idea for quite some time to do something like this, but again... i always revert back to what i'm used to, so dropped this idea eventually haha.
Doesn't have centered hi-hat, but toms and cymbals are (mostly) symmetrical and really like(d) that idea.

1600323710899.png

Setup above i really liked because you can do doubles with your hands (starting center) and then work your way down the toms without having to cross your hands or moving to one side. So start with RR on the snare/tom in the center, LL on the 10", RR on the 12", LL on the 14" and then RR on the 16". Could try this someday with putting my 8" tom in the center but mmm... nah, stick to what i use now ;)

harryconway

Platinum Member
The other setup i've liked for years is the "small" setup Mike Mangini used before joining Dream Theater.
Walk thru of Mike's new D.T. kit ..... no center hat ..... but he's centered his bass drum. Mentions his drum tech "Eric" took two Demon Drive pedals and configured a center pedal system out of them. (about 1:23 into the vid.)

roncadillac

I really want to try a remote set up with centered hi hats. I've played around with a fixed pair infront of my snare (I usually only use a 2 or 3pc kit) and really liked the placement but missed being able to open/close the hats. All of the cable remote stands I've seen are stupid expensive. I mean... It's not some wizardry or advanced technology. A basic hi hat stand is like $75 and a bike hand brake cable is like $10, why the hell are all these stands like $300+?

I was looking at the griffin remote stand as it's average price is under $200 but even that seems really expensive for what it is. Has anyone found an 'affordable' remote hi hat solution that actually functions?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I really want to try a remote set up with centered hi hats. I've played around with a fixed pair infront of my snare (I usually only use a 2 or 3pc kit) and really liked the placement but missed being able to open/close the hats. All of the cable remote stands I've seen are stupid expensive. I mean... It's not some wizardry or advanced technology. A basic hi hat stand is like $75 and a bike hand brake cable is like $10, why the hell are all these stands like $300+?

I was looking at the griffin remote stand as it's average price is under $200 but even that seems really expensive for what it is. Has anyone found an 'affordable' remote hi hat solution that actually functions?
I'm in that boat right now, no hi hat pedal. Its fine, but I miss it. And I'm not about to shell out the cash for a cable hat. Not the Griffin either.

I'm going to try to build a "cable" hat, but in a different sense. Using pulleys, I can snake a cable wherever I want. All I would have to do (in theory) is split a normal hi hat stand. Run a cable from the pedal/bottom to a modified rod/top. It can be clamped anywhere, as can the pulleys. I might have to move the spring to the top half, but whatever.