Swiv-o-matic

LM201

Over the years I've been gathering vintage mounting hardware and such. My Rogers Swiv-O-Matic tom mounts are kind of rusty and the chrome is pealing off. I was wondering if I got them rechromed would anything happen to the engraved logo?

Also, I've had the mounts for about a year now and I still don't see how they work. I know you twist the little nozzle thing but it doesn't look like it tightens. I ordered the tom arm yesterday, so I haven't tried it out with the actual tom arm. So any input would be nice.

Thanks

rmandelbaum

Platinum Member
The top of the threaded male has a tapper. The top of the female colett does as well. When you tighten it it will squeeze the hexagon shaft of the mount.

criz p. critter

Silver Member
Also, I've had the mounts for about a year now and I still don't see how they work. I know you twist the little nozzle thing but it doesn't look like it tightens. I ordered the tom arm yesterday, so I haven't tried it out with the actual tom arm. So any input would be nice.
Yeah, that's how it should work. But on my old Rogers kits I used to have occasional problems with the Swivomatic mounts, where the threads got stripped and wouldn't tighten, or more often, the top (outer) rim of the hole on the wingnut part (the little nozzle thing) where it narrows down, splits and breaks out. Which makes the hole larger, and without that narrowing down of the hole, you can tighten the hell out of it but it doesn't compress the collet part enough to actually clamp it.

Hard to explain that last bit exactly, but what it translates to is: you may have to buy a replacement for the wingnut part.

harryconway

Platinum Member
The logo question should go to the chrome plater guy. He'll know what detail will be lost/not lost in his rig. Not all chrome platers are equal. I love vintage drums, but I hate (to use) vintage hardware. There was a time when Ludwig guys were replacing their stock rail consolettes with the Rogers Swivo units (John Bonham and Tommy Aldridge being two of the more famous), then Memriloc came out, and was even better. But short lived. Tama Titan hardware kicked everyones butts.