Switching to 1 ply

gish

So, I've been playing 2 ply heads on my toms for... well, pretty much forever. However, it seems that my ear is changing, and I'm now finding 2 ply heads to be pretty dull on my toms. I played a gig last week where I was completely uninspired by the sound of my Saturn kit. So, I'm looking to shake things up and try some single ply heads on this kit. Just curious if there are others out there who went through a similar change, and what your experiences were going single ply, what you liked or didn't like about them (particularly in gigging situations), etc. Leaning towards trying some coated ambassadors, but also curious about Aquarian and Evans single plies as well (particularly the UV1s).

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
For my money, a 10 mil single ply head brings out the best mix of tones out of all the drums, snare and bass included.

M

Matt Bo Eder

As you know, I just put UV1's on my DW kit, which is weird because I hated them on my Pearl kit. Some drums just sound better with certain heads, I guess. Try the UV1, if anything you get great durability in this model

gish

My wife is out shopping, so I asked her to pick up 12" and 14" coated ambassadors for me. I'm playing a gig next week at a small bar where I usually take my Yamaha kit. I'm going to install the ambassadors on that kit and give it a go. Do you guys find that there's an adjustment period, in terms of tone from the throne? I'm worried they'll sound too thin from my perspective and that I won't like the near field sound. If I like what I hear, I'll start experimenting with the Saturns, including maybe trying the UV1s.

Bo, what are your thoughts on the UV1s vs the ambassadors on your DWs?

lsits

Gold Member
I'm still using 2-ply heads on my toms but I changed my bass drum batter to a sk-1. The sound is less of a thud and more of a boom, and I'm liking the sound. I guess my tastes are changing.

gish

I'm still using 2-ply heads on my toms but I changed my bass drum batter to a sk-1. The sound is less of a thud and more of a boom, and I'm liking the sound. I guess my tastes are changing.

I've been using 1 ply emads on my bass drums for a few years now. My Yamaha kit had an SK2 on when I bought it; hated that head. Dull, lifeless, no volume no matter how I tuned it. I put an EMAD on the drum, and it came back to life. Always heard good things about the SK1, but my good experiences with the emads coupled with the bad experience with the SK2 have kept me from trying one.

M

Matt Bo Eder

My wife is out shopping, so I asked her to pick up 12" and 14" coated ambassadors for me. I'm playing a gig next week at a small bar where I usually take my Yamaha kit. I'm going to install the ambassadors on that kit and give it a go. Do you guys find that there's an adjustment period, in terms of tone from the throne? I'm worried they'll sound too thin from my perspective and that I won't like the near field sound. If I like what I hear, I'll start experimenting with the Saturns, including maybe trying the UV1s.

Bo, what are your thoughts on the UV1s vs the ambassadors on your DWs?

My take is that UV's and Ambassadors are very close. But the UV's tout the durability, so if they last really long, I'll lean that way.

M

Matt Bo Eder

Also remember, if you're a fan of Andy Newmark, who played with Sly and The Family Stone, and was the drummer on John Lennon's Double Fantasy, he said he used plain frosty Ambassadors all the time, and he got great sounds with just those heads. Sometimes I think it's wonderful that today everyone has all these head choices to try, but then am amazed at how long it takes someone to find their sound. There's something to be said for getting the sound you want out of what's available too.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
They make drumheads with more than one ply?!?

mrmike

Silver Member
If you have been playing 2 ply heads it may take a while for you to get use to more overtones. The good thing is you can dial them in with gel or tape to get somewhere in between. A 12 mil head might also be to your liking.

gish

I've gotten fond of the Evans G12s on toms -- single ply, but the little bit of added thickness produces slightly more body and a slightly longer note. For more focus without sacrificing clarity, the coated version is nice.

I just watched Rob Brown's review of the G12's on YouTube. He claims they're the closest equivalent sound wise to the coated ambassador that Evans makes, even though they're thicker. If I like the ambassadors on my Yamaha kit (I'll know for sure after my gig next Saturday), I'm leaning towards trying the G12s on my Saturns.

newoldie

Silver Member
I just watched Rob Brown's review of the G12's on YouTube. He claims they're the closest equivalent sound wise to the coated ambassador that Evans makes, even though they're thicker. If I like the ambassadors on my Yamaha kit (I'll know for sure after my gig next Saturday), I'm leaning towards trying the G12s on my Saturns.

Is Rob Brown considered an expert on drum heads, if it's the same guy I'm thinking of, I've seen a few of his YT videos to date and wasn't super impressed although he seemed practical in suggestions.

Ron_M

Foe me, ambassadors all the way. I've tried G1 and G12, but they sound dull and plasticky on my drums. Bo raises a great point, though: Different heads sound good/bad on different drums. It's good to get advice, but experimentation is your best bet. Buy a few different 12"ers, for example, and try them out - see what works best.

M

Matt Bo Eder

Foe me, ambassadors all the way. I've tried G1 and G12, but they sound dull and plasticky on my drums. Bo raises a great point, though: Different heads sound good/bad on different drums. It's good to get advice, but experimentation is your best bet. Buy a few different 12"ers, for example, and try them out - see what works best.

Makes me miss the days when your only choices were Ambassadors, Emperors, Diplomats, and Black Dots. It was a lot cheaper to experiment, or you didn't have to since you could kind of figure what they would do. Nowadays you could spends hundreds just experimenting!

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
It's only as difficult as you make it.

I've had coated Ambassadors on for a while now.

Next time I think I'll try out some coated Ambassadors.

After that. I dunno what I wanna try, but I've heard those coated Ambassadors are nice, so I might give them a shot.

Also I've heard some people rave about coated Ambassadors. Anyone tried them?