Switching from Rock to Blues: Advice?

ZackP

I'm puzzled about that. It seems there are two approaches. One is to use a Moeller type motion, so the leading note is is an upstroke and the accent is a down stroke. The other is to play the leading note as a light down stroke, and then really snap the stick into the head during the upstroke. Which would you suggest, or should I learn both?
I practice shuffles by doing inverted doubles for one. You don’t need the Moeller stroke for all tempos. Even a push pull works. You should be able to do any method without accenting any strokes.

Listen to the first track of this album:
the drummer here is doing a double shuffle without any accents. It’s also pretty fast. I can do this with a Moeller stroke on a good day but fingers help big time. You should also practice getting that accent out thought.

ZackP

The Stone Killer exercise is also good for shuffles. It’s in Master Studies. The most basic form is doing four singles on your right then four on your left then going to sixes then eights. But instead of doing them straight shuffle them. Do them super quiet and low. It builds a lot of strength.