Switched from Vic Firth Metal/Rock to Vater Power 5B

Road Bull

Silver Member
Lets see how this goes. I have to say that they are just close enough to the diameters of the Rocks and the Metals to work.

I had recently picked up a bunch of different sticks to test drive. I have been using the Vic Firth Metals for a long time and have begun to think that they are slowing me down with the weight and length. The Rocks are a bit of a better balance, but still a bit cumbersome overall. I like the solid feel of those big sticks, but feel like they take their toll on my wrists, especially after shows.

It seemed like the next real step down was in the 5B range. And, Vater offered the greatest diameter 5B in the Power 5B. The length is nice and what I am used to with the Vic Firth sticks I have been using. It has enough heft to it when I throw it around, but seems quite a bit more responsive overall.

I will say the nylon tips seem a bit less refined than VFs. They seem to often, if not always have some extra bit of nylon where they were pressed together. Hrrrm... Not a big deal.

I would say over all, after playing for a few days, I like the change. I would love them so much more if they last longer than my Vic Firths, but we will see.

Bull

Gold Member
I have been playing VF metals for a few months. The seem pretty light for a stick that size. I really like the length. I wish Vater had a beefy 2Bish 17" model.

Winegums

Silver Member
Lets see how this goes. I have to say that they are just close enough to the diameters of the Rocks and the Metals to work.

I had recently picked up a bunch of different sticks to test drive. I have been using the Vic Firth Metals for a long time and have begun to think that they are slowing me down with the weight and length. The Rocks are a bit of a better balance, but still a bit cumbersome overall. I like the solid feel of those big sticks, but feel like they take their toll on my wrists, especially after shows.

It seemed like the next real step down was in the 5B range. And, Vater offered the greatest diameter 5B in the Power 5B. The length is nice and what I am used to with the Vic Firth sticks I have been using. It has enough heft to it when I throw it around, but seems quite a bit more responsive overall.

I will say the nylon tips seem a bit less refined than VFs. They seem to often, if not always have some extra bit of nylon where they were pressed together. Hrrrm... Not a big deal.

I would say over all, after playing for a few days, I like the change. I would love them so much more if they last longer than my Vic Firths, but we will see.
Why not use Vic Firth Extreme 5B nylon? They're the same extended length as the metal sticks but have a small diameter.

I made the switch a while ago for the same reasons as you. Those metal sticks are around the 2B size and heavy, switching to the 5b made a world of difference at higher speeds.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Since changing bands the Vic Virth Metal has been my go-to stick, but I've tried almost everything else in that general range, including the Vic Firth Rock, Vater Power 5B, Vater Mike Wengren, and Pro Mark 2S.

What surprises me the most is how sticks with almost identical specs feel totally different company to company.

I noticed the same thing a while back when trying out an array of maple sticks, and I found across the board that Vater tend to feel a little heavier, Pro Mark a little lighter, and Vic Firth sitting right in the middle when comparing essentially the same stick. Same goes for the hickory sticks too, oddly enough.

Road Bull

Silver Member
Part of me likes the Vic Firth Metals, but it has started to feel a bit less articulate in my hands.. Well... I have to laugh a bit at myself here as I am more of a loud caveman when it comes to my playing. I'm no Buddy Rich. I am just trying to think down the road as far as overall health of my wrists. Sure, a lot has to do with technique, but after the adrenaline of the show ebbs, I sometimes feel the effects left behind trying to rimshot and bell smash my way into oblivion.

I guess I just wanted to try something hefty enough, but that takes less overall effort to manipulate. I know Vic Firth makes some Extreme 5Bs, but they are a bit too 5B. The Vaters seem to be the largest 5Bs out there with the length I want. And they are Vic Firth. I have been chewing through a fair amount of Metals and Rocks try into draw down my current stock. I mostly shred the middles with rim shots, but I have played a few fresh sticks that lasted less than a minute on stage.

So this time around, I am giving another company a try.

Road Bull

Silver Member
Hey Bull, have you tried Vater Rock? They feel very much like VF Metal. I almost went that route, and would have if I'd felt like stickin with that weight stick.

Winegums

Silver Member
Just to get some more info on VF Metal sticks in the thread, they're 17" long! the extremes are only 16.5".

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
It's that 17" length that keeps me using either the Firth Metal or Pro Mark 2S. I find the overall balance a lot more pleasing with the longer sticks and it seems to offset the feeling of such a large diameter better.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Anybody ever use vater MV10 ? They are .625'/17" but listed as a marching stick.
No, but thanks for the heads up! That taper/tip combo looks a lot more "normal" than most marching sticks and seems like it could be just what I'm looking for.

:)

Bull

Gold Member
Hey Bull, have you tried Vater Rock? They feel very much like VF Metal. I almost went that route, and would have if I'd felt like stickin with that weight stick.
Yes but I wish the were longer. They are almost half an inch shorter.

It's that 17" length that keeps me using either the Firth Metal or Pro Mark 2S. I find the overall balance a lot more pleasing with the longer sticks and it seems to offset the feeling of such a large diameter better.

That's it for me too. I like being able to choke up on them a bit,as well..

Bull

Gold Member
No, but thanks for the heads up! That taper/tip combo looks a lot more "normal" than most marching sticks and seems like it could be just what I'm looking for.

:)
I haven't tried them yet. No one stocks them here. The biggest plus to the VFs over the 2S is that everyone stocks VF Metal.

Road Bull

Silver Member
Yes but I wish the were longer. They are almost half an inch shorter.

That's it for me too. I like being able to choke up on them a bit,as well..
Right on. Think that might be my problem. I end up holding just the ends of my sticks. This in turn makes it feel as though I am trying to swing a bat by holding the nub. I have been trying to work on my grip and be conscious of how I am holding my sticks, but old habits are harder to break than drumsticks. LOL.

Bull

Gold Member
Right on. Think that might be my problem. I end up holding just the ends of my sticks. This in turn makes it feel as though I am trying to swing a bat by holding the nub. I have been trying to work on my grip and be conscious of how I am holding my sticks, but old habits are harder to break than drumsticks. LOL.
My grip moves around.I like being able to slam the backbeats from a grip near the end but I choke up for some ride stuff. I only have that option with LONG sticks

Big sticks really open up the big drums too.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I played those for a year or 2.. the virgil donati, powerhouse and power 5b are all almost identical and they come in woodtip.

Vic's chip tips, vater are much more durable for me.

Road Bull

Silver Member
Yeah, I have been using nylon tipped sticks for so long I have forgotten about chipping tips. I don't miss em. Maybe if I played a different type of music I might be more interested, but not right now.

Winegums

Silver Member
I played those for a year or 2.. the virgil donati, powerhouse and power 5b are all almost identical and they come in woodtip.

Vic's chip tips, vater are much more durable for me.
Yeah, I have been using nylon tipped sticks for so long I have forgotten about chipping tips. I don't miss em. Maybe if I played a different type of music I might be more interested, but not right now.
Yeah, wood tips chipping drove me crazy as it often ment the stick was toast long before I would consider it too thin to play with. I switched to nylon tips and have never looked back.