Switch trigger for a bass drum.

jotadrums

Hi!!

I am planning to get an Alesis Turbo Mesh kit for home silent practicing. I must state this one became the final option due to budget and floor space issues, so no debate on this, plz. Decision has been already made.;)

Thing is it does not include a kick tower, but a switch bassdrum pedal instead.

So in order to make use of my existing bass drum pedal, I queried the seller on this, and he literally told me that "Unfortunately its not possible to use a piezo trigger with this drum module. Its only compatible with other switch triggers".

I read from a customer: "I do not use the pedals (and was not going to use them). Instead I use a real kick pedal with a custom IR electronic switch made by me, which is connected to the [drum module] KICK input - a fast and silent solution."

What is that all about? Anyone can help? What kind of switch is this? Where can I get them? How are they installed in order to use an existing bass pedal with the kit? Has anyone tested it?

BTW, I intend to use as a bass drum pad my existing Pearl Compact Traveler kit bass drum, which mounts a 18" Evans Soundoff Mesh head.

Thanks for any help on this. Regards!!!

Last edited:

electrodrummer

Seems you can't use an acoustic pedal with this kit. Just a switched pedal (so no velocity)

It's a very very very very entry level kit, with little or no expansion, evil cable snake and really, should be avoided. Better to get a 2nd user, say, Yamaha[1]. But you seem to have mind set on it, so I assume you're aware of its massive limitations. It's your money ;)

It's another badged up Medeli - DD401 prob, ie.

[1] In the UK the Alesis is £250. For that you can easily get a 2nd user (for example) DTX, with none of these limitations. And same "floor space"

Last edited:

jotadrums

[...] For that you can easily get a 2nd user (for example) DTX, with none of these limitations. And same "floor space"

---No mesh heads. Not an option in a block of apartments. Thanks anyway for your comments, really acknowledged!!!

Last edited:

electrodrummer

---No mesh heads. Not an option in a block of apartments. Thanks anyway for your pointings, really acknowledged!!!

Mesh isn't that quiet. It can sound like smacking Tupperware with harsh noises.

Compare that to the lower pitch and less obtrusive sounds of rubber (and the much quieter silicone)

(I also live in an apartment....)

electrodrummer

Any technical workaround to get this

View attachment 100249

....to trigger this?

View attachment 100250
Thanks for a hint on the subject....;);):)

Nope. Unless you can hack a switch under the foot plate. Maybe even a couple of bits of copper and some wires and stuff.

But, seriously, why go thru all the pain of doing this to create a hacked up bad kick with zero velocity response (ie, 0 or 100 and nothing else) and will probably fail when there's far better stuff out there for the same money? Blackmail or something? Be safe out there,

Doraemon

If you build a trigger yourself - let's ignore the details like knowing electronics well enough, having a design available - you will need to buy all the parts, wires, sensors, that can become a lot more expensive and riskier than just waiting a little and at least saving up for the Nitro. The difference is day and night. I had a Turbo for like 10 minutes before I ran back to the store to get rid of it... Sorry.
If you insist on it, you're best option imo is a new module (with more features, better sound), like a used Nitro - for a piezo pad - or an older DM6 (those even have a choice for piezo-switch kick type) that can often be found on ebay (in US). But I'd rather get a better kit, maybe even a used one.

Last edited:

jotadrums

Thanks to Doraemon for his really smart and sensitive comment, I truly appreciate it, as well as Electrodrummer and Sumdrumguy comments. But Nitro Mesh would not be an option to me, as I told earlier. Mainly because it takes more floor room AND the bass drum pad is rubber instead of mesh. As a result, I would then go for a mesh bassdrum pad, so I will be wasting money :(:mad::rolleyes:

Nitro in Europe is €80 more expensive, and you would have to add another €70 or so in a mesh bassdrum pad. I simply do not see it as an option. Mind you: Here I write my argument trying to be reasonable. Is not that I blind-faith go for a Turbo mesh without hearing anyone.

In ONE square meter (10,76 sq ft) with neighbours above and below....there are not many options. I know that I could save money or even make a loan against my credit card and go for a Roland TD-17 KVX (about 2k) ...but that doesn't fit in my room!!!
:cry::cry::ROFLMAO:

Still worrying about it...thanks everyone in this thread for the comments!!!

Last edited:

Doraemon

any chance to sell the pad and find another? Surge mesh would also work. Or you could add a piezo to your existing 18” one. Even an external kick trigger like ddrun. Maybe scavange the nitro pad.. There are more options as the module has more adjustments for sensitivity and other parameters.

jotadrums

any chance to sell the pad and find another? Surge mesh would also work. Or you could add a piezo to your existing 18” one. Even an external kick trigger like ddrun. Maybe scavange the nitro pad.. There are more options as the module has more adjustments for sensitivity and other parameters.

----Buying a kit to sell some parts....not very straight forward. Surge Mesh seems too big to fit, although is a very nice kit...Wish they made a Roland with the rack size of the Turbo Mesh.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

electrodrummer

All racks can be made as big or small as you like. From Yamaha, Roland etc. They're just tubes and clamps. All the tubes and clamps can be moved to suit you. And 99% are compatible with each other, so you can just get tubes and bits from wherever. It's like scaffolding. Or Meccano.

All my racks are Frankensteins.

Perceived size of the rack is not a criteria to buy over the feature and sounds of the module or the feel of the pads.

Last edited:

jotadrums

Seems you can't use an acoustic pedal with this kit. Just a switched pedal (so no velocity). It's a very very very very entry level kit, with little or no expansion, evil cable snake and really, should be avoided. (...)

----How about a Roland TD-1DMK kit? I cannot stretch the budget much more...:confused::ROFLMAO: This is quite a better set, in my opinion...

electrodrummer

----How about a Roland TD-1DMK kit? I cannot stretch the budget much more...:confused::ROFLMAO: This is quite a better set, in my opinion...

Evil cable snake. Dead end kit. (some might suggest it's "better" than the Alesis, though)

Back to basics.
1. Budget
2. What have you played.
3. Budget
4. Where are you (country)

Doraemon

Better quality, less features, more durable, but kick pad is not mesh and you need to buy the pedal.
Any chance to find a Turbo or just a similar rack/broken old kit on the used market (facebook marketplace or something) for cheap? That you could build on by adding a new module or parts? I mentioned the Surge because that and the Turbo are standard 1.5in racks, clamps etc. If you get a Nitro, it has a different, skinnier rack and parts. I doesn't make much sense to buy drums based on rack. If you can't have 4 legs, you just need those long feet for stability. But in this range I think the Roland is a nice beginner kit with a better resale value.