Swiss triplet leading with your main hand

Sjogras

Silver Member
I have played this rudiment for a long time, but only leading with the left hand which feels totally natural. But lately I've noticed that a flam between a tom and a snare sounds a lot more articulate when playing the tom first, since the snare has a lot more attack than a tom.

So I've been trying to play flams, and consequently the swiss triplet leading with the right hand but the feeling is very much like when trying to play lefty rather than righty. (in my case that is) It's rather baffeling that this is so hard for me, I am very much playing the exact same thing...

So, do you lead a swiss triplet with your main hand naturally? Or do you feel as off as I do? Any good exercises other than the swiss triplet? :)

Personally, I find all my rudiments more comfortable leading with my right hand than with my left, even the single stroke roll which theoretically is exactly the same motion whichever hand you lead with.

Just slow it down, try and get it feeling natural with both hands, it's the only way to properly learn a rudiment.

As far as voicings, one hand on the snare and one hand on the tom, it can sound pretty badass whichever hand you lead with.

Try doing flam paradiddles and pataflaflas around the kit. lRLRR rLRLL, lRLRrL lRLRrL .etc (lower case = grace notes, all in straight 16ths). Also, try leading a swiss army triplet with your main hand on the ride, other hand on the snare, and then moving the main hand between cymbal and tom. Sounds badass. Infact, all flams sound badass.

Personally, I find all my rudiments more comfortable leading with my right hand than with my left, even the single stroke roll which theoretically is exactly the same motion whichever hand you lead with.
+1

That's why I'm always practicing any rudiment with R and L hand/feet in as equal amounts as possible (which greatly helps evening out the limbs but even doing so, I feel the stronger limbs will always remain stronger but the difference should gett smaller). I hate even imagining how it would feel to only lead with one side and then having to struggle to learn it the other way.

I like working on my weaknesses. Doing it the way that's least comfortable I find improves the way that previously was most comfortable as well.

I tend to play mostly left hand flams(right hand hitting the head first), but like alternating when doing multiples on the snare. BUt then it depends on what other stuff I'm playing as well. I prefer to not think about technique when playing, but my left hand flams are a little more consistent in quality than my right hand flams when I'm just playing around.

Flam Accents, and Flam Taps work both sides equally. I like putting these together into one exercise, because you also get the added benefit of practicing going back and forth between triplet and straight time (Flams Accents are played as triplet 1/8s, Flam Taps as straight 1/8s).

Flam Taps (1/8s): lR R rL L lR R rL L
Flam Accents (triplet 1/8s): lR L R rL R L lR L R rL R L

I do two measures of each, back and forth. Also I do the actual "Flam" rudiment as part of my daily warmup (lR rL as 1/4 notes).

Back