Swing Charts

KalashnikoV

I've got a jazz band audition coming up, but my sight reading skills are... unimpressive. I was wondering if anyone knew of any place where I could download swing drum charts online for practicing my sight reading—I don't personally own enough literature for effective practice; I'd basically just end up learning the pieces in question.

Likewise, any tips on sight reading would be greatly appreciated.

Class A Drummer

Pioneer Member
Buy "The art of Bop drumming" by john riley. If you can play through a good portion of the easier left hand excersizes then you will be fine.

Edit- Also, if you go into my profile, watch my newest video, throughout the entire song im hitting almost every kick written on the chart (there are alot of them) and you can see how those left hand excersizes in Riley's book really helped me out.

KalashnikoV

The Art of Bop Drumming will definately help to get your coordination and phrasing together, but it does not address big band style playing. I assume that your jazz band is a big band and not a small combo. Three books that are great for jazz big band reading are:

Inside the Big Band Drum Chart by Steve Fidyk

Studio and Big Band Drumming by Steve Houghton

Jazz Drummer's Reading Workbook by Tom Morgan
You assume correctly. Thanks for your advice. By the way, I already own the John Riley book, and it is good, but as you said, is not really suited as much for big band, and because I already study out of it, it's not entirely beneficial for practicing sight reading. Thanks anyway Class A Drummer!

jeffwj

Platinum Member
You assume correctly. Thanks for your advice. By the way, I already own the John Riley book, and it is good, but as you said, is not really suited as much for big band, and because I already study out of it, it's not entirely beneficial for practicing sight reading. Thanks anyway Class A Drummer!
I think the Tom Morgan book would be a good one to use first to brush up on your reading. But I would suggest eventually buying all three to have a solid grasp on big band playing.

I would also suggest listening to recordings of the great big bands such as Basie, Ellington, Miller, Shaw, Dorsey, etc...

PS I'm not sure if you know, but the PAS Day of Percussion will be in Winchester, VA on April 4th. I don't know how far you are from there, but it should be good - Danny Gottlieb is the featured artist.

Jeff