I have a Yamaha Stage Custom birch set (10x8, 14x14, 20x17), and I love it. However, I noticed that when I mounted the rack tom to the bass drum using the standard tom holder, the tom sounded choked. When I took the drum off the bass drum and mounted it to a cymbal stand, I noticed an immediate improvement in sound. So, I thought I'd buy a Gibraltar suspension mount so that I could just put the tom on the bass drum for easier set-up. The mount seemed to fit perfectly, and I'd just put on a brand-new head, but something was wrong; the tom was choking up again. I took off the "suspension" mount, re-intsalled the factory shell-mounted bracket, and voilá, it sounded amazing. When I took a closer look at the Gibraltar unit, I noticed that the support tabs were welded on at funny angles; it obviously wasn't very high-quality. Now, I'm sending it back, and my drums sound as good as they ever did! I guess this goes to show that 1) I shouldn't fix things that aren't broken, and 2) sometimes new technology isn't as good as old-fashioned methods.