Survey for brush players...

gallonsloth

What model brush do you find yourself using most?
What kind of head do you have on your snare?
What heads do you use on your toms?
What kind of kick beater do you use most.

-Vic Firth wire retractable brushes.
-Remo Coated Ambassador snare head
-Tom heads vary, but usually coated Ambassador
-The felt side of the beater that came on my Yamaha DD pedal

-Vic Firth Heritage Brush
-Remo Coated Ambassador batter head
-Right now I've got Remo Fiberskyn Ambassador's on all my toms.
-The stock beater that came with my DW 6000

Vader wire Tap
Evans Hd Dry
Evans G12 Clear
Not sure why the bass drum beater is on a brush poll?

I only use the brushes on the snare:

Vic Firth Live Wires
Evans SuperTough (a coated 2-ply)

Because it's in a rock concert setting - and I don't have much in the way of brush chops - I wanted a more aggressive brush rather than something sweet that I need to finesse. I just 'stir the soup' like most rock drummers do.

Bermuda

Vic Firth Split Brush
Coated G1 or similar (whenever I do play jazz)
Vic Firth hard felt VicKick beater

I just 'stir the soup' like most rock drummers do.

Same here, I just do what feels natural. No Florian AZ am I, though I use his signature brush. The Split Brush is really nice though, it's not as loud & abrasive as the Live Wires but it's made of thicker gauge wire than typical brushes and is immediately, noticeably louder to me. It also has more rebound than many other brushes I've tried.

Vic Firth wire retractables.
Coated Ambassador or G1, whichever I find first.
Coated Emperor or G2, ditto.
The one that came on the pedal (Gibraltar Intruder), though I switch between felt and plastic sides depending on the gig.

- Vic Firth Retractable (purple)
- Remo Coated Ambassador or Remo Renaissance Ambassador
- Remo Coated Ambassador
- Vater Bomber or whatever felt affair is around

Regal brushes w/ black rubber handles.
Snare - Suede emperor
Toms - Suede emperors on one kit, clear G2's on the other
Beater - DW5000 felt side

Vic Firth Steve Gadd retractable brushes-have the bent tip. Snare- Remo Coated Ambassador, Toms- Remo coated Vintage Emperor. Any ole beater will do.

- Regal Tip Classic

- Evans G1 (Will be the new Calftone heads on at least one snare once they are released.

- Evans G1 on the rack tom, G2 on the floor tom.

- Just a regular felt beater. Gibraltar, I think. I've also used the fluffy Vater Bomber quite a bit.

1. The cheapest Pro-Mark rubber handled brushes.
2-3. Remo Coated Ambassador
4. I don't know. Some two-sided thing-- I use the felt side. I need to buy a Danmar felt beater sometime. Rarely I'll use a Gibraltar fluffy beater.

Not sure why the bass drum beater is on a brush poll?

Just curious to see what people like to blend with their brushes. I like to use a bomber beater, I find most other beaters hard to control volume-wise. Also I was wondering if anyone uses those wire-brush kick beaters, or any other unconventional beaters.

The Split Brush is really nice though, it's not as loud & abrasive as the Live Wires but it's made of thicker gauge wire than typical brushes and is immediately, noticeably louder to me. It also has more rebound than many other brushes I've tried.

They look really interesting, I've been meaning to try them out.
If our dollar gets a little stronger I'm gonna pick up a pair.

- (Will be the new Calftone heads on at least one snare once they are released).

I'm pretty eager to see what those will be like.

REGAL TIP BR-582R-JR - John Jr Robinson Brushes. Very nice brushes. The other ones that I play just as much are REGAL TIP BR-565U - Ultraflex Nylon Brushes
Most of the time Remo Ambassador coateds
For Jazz things Remo Ambassador coateds, for Rock and Funk mostly Emperor clear or Evans G2 clear.
The default felt beater of my Yamaha FP9500D pedals.

i was using zildjian retractable brushes. however, they bend really easy and are sticking out all over the place and it bugs me. i switched to vic firth Jazz brushes, they have a white handle. the difference is they use a very heavy wire. awesome brushes. for a snare head i use a remo vintage emperor. remo smooth white heads on all the toms and standard bass drum beater that came with my ludwig atlas classic pedal.

- Regal Tip Ed Thigpen model brushes
- Aquarian Modern Vintage medium heads on toms and snare
- Vic Kick fleece beater or jazz/lo-fi stuff and felt beater for anything louder

Brushes are for wimps.

However, I simply use what I generally use. Coated Ambs and PS3 on kick and the felt side of my DW5000.

I really only have a pair of Heritage brushes and a pair of regular retractable Zildjians for a bit more oomphf.

Like for other things, I will change the snare drum, though. I use any drum, but for anything but standard jazzy stuff I will usually go for the BB.

Back