Surprisingly good backline

Jasta 11

I was told the venue last night had a drum kit, even so that makes me worried. This is a Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute. I've never played a birch kit but i will say this thing was killer! Nice cymbals too Quick Beats and a killer ride, Ludwig Atlas hardware and a DW5000 pedal. I did bring my own throne and pedal but used their pedal ( same as mine). The only thing was i couldn't get a good snare sound. Both heads were cranked and the snares were cranked but it was a dead thud with no snare wound. I messed with it for a while but it never really sounded good. I regret not bringing my snare, next time!
20210908_175955.jpg20210908_181107.jpg

yammyfan

What a pleasant surprise!

I often miss my BCAN set. Fantastic drums. I might grab another set some day if built using regular Absolute lugs.

Last edited:

Jasta 11

The drums sounded so good, i always thought birch being a "brighter" sounding shell wouldn't have a warm tone like these did. I wanted this kit in a big way after playing it!!!!!! Anther plus for the venue, they found a good use for Zildjian ZBT's...there were 9 of these as wall lights.20210908_181837.jpg

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Very nice! I competed at a music festival about 4 years ago, and they had either Yamaha Oak Absolutes or Oak Customs. Either way, it was a perfectly fine kit.

NouveauCliche

I was told the venue last night had a drum kit, even so that makes me worried. This is a Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute. I've never played a birch kit but i will say this thing was killer! Nice cymbals too Quick Beats and a killer ride, Ludwig Atlas hardware and a DW5000 pedal. I did bring my own throne and pedal but used their pedal ( same as mine). The only thing was i couldn't get a good snare sound. Both heads were cranked and the snares were cranked but it was a dead thud with no snare wound. I messed with it for a while but it never really sounded good. I regret not bringing my snare, next time!
View attachment 108377View attachment 108378

Very brave of you to trust backline cymbals haha.

Killer kit

opentune

Platinum Member
Great looking kit and cymbals.
Only thing it needs is a white reso head....more contrast on that awesome black sparkle.:)

s1212z

I played a MIJ Birch Absolute today, cool kit. I liked the aluminum die-cast hoops, not too heavy at all and felt great. There was tape on mine too, I ripped it all off to make it sing again.

justadrummer

I'd be willing to bet the owner of that club is a drummer. That would explain the great backline kit and him knowing the ONLY proper way to use ZBT cymbals :)

That was exactly my thought as well.

The best backline kit provided by a venue that I'd ever come across was an older Ludwig Classic Maple. It was well maintained, and it turned out that the bar owner was a drummer. He stumbled upon the Ludwig kit for a good price and knew that it would be a hit. (Pun intended.)