Supraphonic size?

PacifRick

Can anyone tell with certainty the shell depth of this snare? To me, it looks like a 14 x 6.5, but I'm wondering if the picture is fooling me. I can get it for a steal if it's 6.5", don't have any use for another 5".

Attachments

• 5N95Ia5G43K73Mc3N7c8s3216a456ae7010ff.jpg
    5N95Ia5G43K73Mc3N7c8s3216a456ae7010ff.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 414
Thanks, I was pretty certain but didn't want to drive so far only to find out otherwise....$100 out the door, with stand and throne! The owners knows nothing about drums, so measuring was out of the question.

No doubt about it - it's a 6.5x14. You can tell by how much tension rod is showing between the lug and hoop (compare with the one shown in your avatar, which is clearly a 5x14).

That's a smokin' deal. Do not delay another minute. GO GET IT NOW!

Haha...great deal. Judging from the pointy badge, that looks to be from the mid 70's. It's in great shape too. Great score!

Oh, that sucks! Woulda been a total score, but like you said, if it seems to good to be true...

Bummer.

I was pretty aggravated yesterday evening when I got home so I didn't elaborate much. He confirmed that the snare in the photo in the op was in fact the snare he was selling. He tried to play it off as if he didn't know the difference, but he did. My 5 year old son could have told the difference. It was crap, it wasn't even a Ludwig Rocker series snare, never seen one like that. It did have the blue/olive badge, but.....

I asked him again when he handed it to me, if this was the same snare in the pic (I knew, I just wanted to see how he responded). He said yeah, I said it's not even close. He offered to show me pics from his phone, so he shielded his phone while he pulled up the pics. He then showed me a pic of the head? He said, " see it says Evans on it" then proved that the snare I was holding had an Evans head. I laughed and told him I could care less about the head, that it would have been changed as soon as I got home anyways. Long story short, he couldn't pull up the same picture posted above. I told him that snare wasn't worth $20, handed it back to him and walked away. He then started apologizing and telling me his cousin posted it for him, so he wasn't sure which picture was posted. I just kept walking, got in my truck and left.

To beat it all, I was pulled over on the way home, but only got a warning. Then I ended up smashing my finger in the door when I got home. I guess being a little aggravated helped with those incidents!

So anyways, I made it home, without my snare that I have wanted my whole life.

The pics are of a similar snare that he had. This may be an awesome snare, but the condition of the one he had rendered it useless. What kind of shell is that? From what I can tell, it is an old Rocker snare. Either way, not even close to a Supraphonic.

Attachments

• 2236351-p1150234.jpg
    2236351-p1150234.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 303
  • 2236351-p1150230.jpg
    2236351-p1150230.jpg
    646.1 KB · Views: 376
The pics are of a similar snare that he had. This may be an awesome snare, but the condition of the one he had rendered it useless. What kind of shell is that? From what I can tell, it is an old Rocker snare. Either way, not even close to a Supraphonic.

First,sorry to hear about the old bait and switch Rick.I hate dishonesty.

The drum he substituted if it was in good condition,is actually a really good sounding snare.The model is called the S/L.The drum is in the 84 or 85 catalog.The shell was 5 or 6 ply maple poplar and had that goofy granitone trunk paint,same stuff as early 70's classics,just a different color.It would absolutely be worth 20 bucks.

Glad you didn't punch the guy.The universe will pay him back times three.Really bad karma.

Steve B

First,sorry to hear about the old bait and switch Rick.I hate dishonesty.

The drum he substituted if it was in good condition,is actually a really good sounding snare.The model is called the S/L.The drum is in the 84 or 85 catalog.The shell was 5 or 6 ply maple poplar and had that goofy granitone trunk paint,same stuff as early 70's classics,just a different color.It would absolutely be worth 20 bucks.

Glad you didn't punch the guy.The universe will pay him back times three.Really bad karma.

Steve B

Nah, the one he had was beat to death. The bottom bearing edge looked like it had chunks smashed out of it and was swelled/split from moisture. The wrap was bubbled and peeling. All this I could tell with just a glance over. No telling what was wrong with a close inspection. Regardless, I didn't go there to purchase that snare.

I'm a good guy so I have to give him the benefit of doubt. He might not have honestly known anything about drums to be able to know he was ripping me off. At least with that thought I can still have some hope for humanity.

No doubt about it - it's a 6.5x14. You can tell by how much tension rod is showing between the lug and hoop (compare with the one shown in your avatar, which is clearly a 5x14).

Not only the tension rods, you can also look at the badge. If an example has no hoops/rods, the badge on a 6.5 will have more space top and bottom than a model 400

If there's no badge, look at the real estate between the lugs and the edges comparatively.

Back