Supra-Phonic Sweetspot

jimzo

Would there be a note (in A440) I should be tuning the batter & reso to? Where it would have a most pleasant & natural ring?

I used the old-school method of tuning opposed to a tuner as I get close enough when A/B'd. For reference I tune off of the Ocheltree vid, where he demonstrates having the snare off. (I do not know the note, either.) I have an LM402 like in the video with same heads. A '71 6.5x14 CoA.
He mentions the tensions of both (and all) heads, but when he uses a mallet from underneath, it sounds nearly; if not the same in pitch, and not as he aforementioned.
The snare to the kit sounded good and convincing when played on the demo part.

What pitch for the batter to compliment the reso? I assume if the heads were slightly out of tune, sharp or flat from one another, yet close in pitch, they would sound fuller/fatter; where a unison note would sound thinner...

WalterKohn

Would there be a note (in A440) I should be tuning the batter & reso to? Where it would have a most pleasant & natural ring?

I used the old-school method of tuning opposed to a tuner as I get close enough when A/B'd. For reference I tune off of the Ocheltree vid, where he demonstrates having the snare off. (I do not know the note, either.) I have an LM402 like in the video with same heads. A '71 6.5x14 CoA.
He mentions the tensions of both (and all) heads, but when he uses a mallet from underneath, it sounds nearly; if not the same in pitch, and not as he aforementioned.
The snare to the kit sounded good and convincing when played on the demo part.

What pitch for the batter to compliment the reso? I assume if the heads were slightly out of tune, sharp or flat from one another, yet close in pitch, they would sound fuller/fatter; where a unison note would sound thinner...
I can tell you I have a Black Beauty and I tune the reso to around 400Hz which is about a G4 and I tune the batter to 266 Hz which is about a C4 using the Drumtune pro app. To my ears and multiple drummers they absolutely love the sound.

I would check out some Drumtuning apps. Just make sure when using them you are in a quiet room and on carpet. There is a learning process with overtones.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"

There's no blanket right and wrong, there's just right and wrong for you. It's a blank canvas. Sweetspot is a highly subjective term. It's a personal preference, not set in stone. If a drum is tuned to its "sweetspot" and you don't like it, is it really sweet to you? FWIW, I tune toms to notes but the snare and bass get different treatments. Like I don't like a real long snare note, I want it pretty staccato. So I wouldn't be tuning for the most possible ring. You have to know what you want, in great detail. That's more important than trying to let the drum dictate where it resonates best. Now toms, yes I want a nice long note, but snare? I go for a certain tone in my head that is not based on a note. Same with the bass drum. Toms are where I focus on getting the most full resonance.

Forgive me if I'm off here, but regarding your snare, it sounds like you are going by science and logic instead of knowing what tone you are after. Unless you know down to your soul that you want the long note from the snare and that's fine. Using an analogy, I just get the feeling you are trying to find out what "tastes" best by reading about it, if you catch my drift. Just because it seems to work on paper doesn't guarantee you'll actually like it.

KamaK

Platinum Member
The sweet spot on a supra is between 1 and 3 turns on the batter. Between 1 and 4 turns on the reso.

If you need note... tune it to that note.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
While the pitch of the snare side does affect the overall pitch of the drum, the main goal is getting a good and clear snare response from the wires, and that means a fairly high pitch from the bottom head.

I always tune the snare side of all of my snares to around A=440. I adjust the batter to whatever pitch I want the drum to sound.

mandrew

Gold Member
I tune my batter head in the neighborhood of A=440 only as a starting place. I often tune a tad higher, Bb or C. On many snares, you have to understand a bit about fundamental pitch and the natural overtones generated by striking the head. The prominent good overtones tend to be thirds, fourths and fifths, as well as octaves. I find that about every drum I have likes perfect fifths the best.

A lot of guys just say "crank the reso." If you tune a snare to A, Shoot for an E on the reso. It is higher and keeps good overtones, and eliminates a lot of bad ones, harmonics that you don't want. Many seem to forget that teh reso is much thinner, meaning that You do not need as much cranking as many seem to think to achiev pitch. The whole focus is on pitches that sound good together, not on pure tension.

A typical 20 strand wire set has plenty of sensitivity in itself, so that the snare at proper pitch should be plenty sensitive and respond well. I use 12 or 16 strands, and get plenty of snare response. Again, it is the proper relationship in the PITCHES that produces a good tone, rather than tension alone. Cranking the reso may indeed give quick snare response, but often introduces all kinds of uncontrollable racket when two incompatable overtone series fight each other for the mastery.

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
It depends on the heads you use but on a Supra (I have one too) to get the Bonham sound you need to make the snare drum overall (fundamental) around a G to G sharp... if you have a tuner it's in the neighborhood of 300-314Hz batter and 400-414Hz on the resonant.. it's pretty up there.

On my Pork Pie BOB snare I use a 321/400 which is pleasing to my ear and has enough harmonics to cut through in live settings.

samdrum

For the sound I'm going for and using a tune-bot.
Vintage coated Emperor batter, hazy ambassador reso.
I tune it 295 (batter) and 400-405 (reso).