Supra or BB

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
FWIW, I put a BB and Pork Pie BOB side by side with the same heads and tuning and was able to get the BOB to sound about 90-95% like a BB. Needless to say, I ended up buying the BOB. But, I'll definitely pick up a BB one of these days. It just has that extra bit of sweet, rounded tone that is missing from the others. (y)

Bottom line: if money is an issue, get a BOB to tide you over and save up for a BB. You'll at least be able to take the BOB out to gigs and beat the hell out of it until then.
I have a Ludwig Black Magic 6.5x14 (which is probably the same drum as the Pork Pie BoB with a different badge) and it is a great drum. There's just...something about the tone and feel of an actual Black Beauty that sets it apart from the seamed-shell knock offs but I'm completely satisfied with the Black Magic and I'm even more satisfied with the money I saved.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Well, there are deals to be had.

I bought my BB already with die casts on it from eBay for $500.

It's great for what I use it for, but it's not an all-round drumkit snare for me.

Not getting more into that, but if you want to save money, go second hand.

jdavis

I bought my BB already with die casts on it from eBay for $500.

It's great for what I use it for, but it's not an all-round drumkit snare for me.
Just curious if you've ever tried triple flanged hoops on your BB? I tried both and thought the die cast hoops made the drum a little too controlled / closed-up for my taste. But, the rimshots were awesome. (y)

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Just curious if you've ever tried triple flanged hoops on your BB? I tried both and thought the die cast hoops made the drum a little too controlled / closed-up for my taste. But, the rimshots were awesome. (y)
Not on my own drum. Most of my drums have die cast hoops. I believe only my Longo and Club Custom have flanged hoops. It's sort of my thing and for what I use my BB for a bit more controlled is also good. I haven't even used the drum in a couple of years, but I thought I'd switch things around during the holidays and get to know all my drums again. I actually haven't played anything but my two new Colaiuta sigs for the last year. Put the walnut Longo on the stand last weekend and as soon as I get home to the shed next weekend I'll start doing the rounds.

Last edited: