Supra > Acro

wsabol

Gold Member
I've been using an 1976 Acro for a few years, and its been my favorite snare all of that time. This is true for a few obvious reasons. I've been hesitant to get the Supra because of how similar the two drums really are.

On paper they are essentially the same drum with only two differences (that I can see): 1) 10 lugs versus 8 lugs, 2) chrome finish versus gray matte finish.

That's it.

A two weeks ago I took the plunge and got the Supra. 1978. Beautiful. I expected to be as pleased with it as I was with my Acro. That is to say: very pleased, but not more or less than the Acro because they are so similar.

Quite to the contrary. The Supra is incredible. Tuning wise, 10 lugs made a world of difference. The tuning range extends well beyond that of the Acro. There are less errant overtones, and there is less ring sustain while still retaining a great wealth of resonance/shell response. And that's what I look for in good snares.

Timbre wise, there isn't a lot of difference (tuning/heads being equal). But practically, tuning was so incredibly easy, I was literally stunned. I was using an old head on my first time tuning the drum, but the drum came to life like nobody's business with the greatest ease.. Again literally stunned. I haven't changed the head or touched the tuning since, and it still sounds fantastic. That wouldn't have happened with my Acro.

I like my snares tuned pretty high, and I kept my Acro pretty much at its limit without it choking. Matching that on the Supra is a walk in the park. I feel I have a mile of upper range ahead of me that I could get to with ease.

Granted, this is only my personal experience, its often said that they are equivalent drums in every way. Its more often said that 10 lugs offers no advantage over 8 lugs when it comes to snares (this is why all Dunnet(/Guru?) snares have 8 lugs). That's probably more true with DC hoops than 1.6mm TF hoops. But my advice to anyone looking, go for the Supra over the Acro anyday.

Last edited:
I’ve always much preferred the Supra over the Acro. I like the extra “mass” on the Supra - I think the extra lugs and the chrome plating makes the drum heavier and gives a nice focused quality that I don’t get with an Acro. I guess if you’re tensioning up your snare on the hi side, 10 lugs will probably serve you better... I will say though, I prefer 8 lug snares - I find them easier to tension (less fiddling) and I like to hit my backbeats between two lugs, so there’s more real estate between them, with only 8. When I spec’d my current snare, I had them build it with only 8 because the shell was heavy gauge, and the last thing it needed was more weight!

Enjoy your Supra!!

My experience with these 2 snares is exactly how you describe. I've had both (incl. 2 diff Acros), but found that the Supra is a step up in the many ways you describe. I use it all the time, so easy to work with.

Agreed. Everything that is good on an Acro, is like super-good on the Supra. But I can live with both. The interesting thing is the 6.5 version of the Acro has 10 lugs, so it's even more Supra-like with the tuning capability. But yeah, I had a black Acro a couple of years ago and now I just keep two Supras, a 5 and a 6.5. They both sound great.

I have a similar situation. I have a LB-417 Supra and an 81 Acrolite.

Supra is more sensitive, brighter, and has a richer overtone.

I've ordered a matching set of heads and snare wires to level the playing field a bit. Will post my findings when I get sorted.

FWIW, I've always been a Supra man myself. Just far prefer the looks of the chrome shell and Imperial lugs. As I've said here in the past, who would you rather take to the ball......Cinderella or the ugly step-sister? :)

I have a similar situation. I have a LB-417 Supra and an 81 Acrolite.

Supra is more sensitive, brighter, and has a richer overtone.

I've ordered a matching set of heads and snare wires to level the playing field a bit. Will post my findings when I get sorted.

I reckon you've got an 'apples and oranges' thing going on here though Kama. Brass shell BB vs the aluminium shell Acro is gonna yield vastly different results. Far more so than the 400/402 and Acro comparison which share an identical shell. In your case you'll be far better placed to enjoy (nay, celebrate) the differences rather than compare the similarities.

In your case you'll be far better placed to enjoy (nay, celebrate) the differences rather than compare the similarities.

Indeed. The overtone differences I expected. The sensitivity difference lead me to order the following:

LW3314 (Snare Batter Medium Coated)
C1114 (Snare Resonant Head Clear)
L1930 (20 Strand Snare Wires)

Which should result in a sensitivity and brightness change. All in all, I just want it to sound like a 5" Supra and close the quality gap a bit. I still love it, and have even ordered the matching Ludwig-branded Gladstone pad to match the UFO case.

Back