Supra,Acro or Ludwig copper ?

john gerrard

I'm looking for some opinions. I've decided that I would like to try a metal snare. I've done my research and pretty much made up my mind on one of the above snares. I'm looking for a nice dry sound, I play alot of country,rock and blues,so I really don't want something too overpowering like steel or bronze. I've researched and found that copper is very simular to aluminum in sound and I have a line on a Ludwig Copper 5 1/2 x 14 at a pretty good deal, actually about the same as I could get an Acrolite for. A Supra would be about another $100.00 more.

So how about some opinions. I've listened to all three and it's a toss up. Which one do you like and why? Thanks a bunch. John

Supra and Acro are the same shell.....just a little more "bling" on the Supra, so all in all they are very similar sounding drums. Personally I favour the Supra, so will recommend that, but realistically there's not a hell of a lot that separates them sound wise. If you're really looking for "dry" a hammered shell Supra is worth considering too.

Have never seen or heard of a Ludwig copper snare before...... are you sure? Got a link?

The seller (GC) has it listed as copper. After doing some looking on GOOGLE it seems that no one knows for sure if Ludwig makes a copper snare. Some say they do and otheres say the don't. So all I can say is the picture appears to be copper. Brass and Bronze are a more yellow color and the snare in question is a very "new penny" color. Maybe someone else on here will chime in with some more info.

Thanks again for the response. John

I've done a bit of Googling myself. From the few cases I've read, it looks like people are confusing the bronze snares for copper. There are also a few claiming that the Rocker series came in copper, but again I'm not convinced.

What does the badge on the drum you are interested in look like?

I'm looking for a nice dry sound, I play alot of country,rock and blues,so I really don't want something too overpowering like steel or bronze.

John....The difference between steel and bronze is like comparing apples to oranges.

The bronze is at the tamed down side of metal where steel can be overbearing. Right now I'm loving my bronze snare...even the guys in my band are loving it and they usually don't notice my snare swaps.

Ludwig does not offer a copper shell.
Not even in an import shell.

The import (Rocker) shell is either Brass (yellower) or Bronze (darker color, could be called "copper-y").
The import shells are seamed. May or may not make a difference to the OP.

Brass is a brighter tone, Bronze has a deeper sound.

The import shell is the only Brass shell that has a natural color. This may be why the confusion of the shell type.
The USA Brass shell has either Chrome (Brass edition), or a Black Beauty finish.

As to the OP's "not overpowering", and the styles of music listed, I'd recommend a Ludwig LM405C Acrolite like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ludwig-LM405C-Acrolite-6-5x14-Snare-Drum-/290714539028?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D190659087348%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8900425398931264649

I'm sorry that I don't know how to bring up links but if you want to, go to GC used drums and look at the Ludwig Copper snare in Pittsburgh, Pa.

I think that it really looks like a copper snare drum. I'm still torn between my three choices, so I'm still open to suggestions. Thanks again for responding. John

I'm sorry that I don't know how to bring up links but if you want to, go to GC used drums and look at the Ludwig Copper snare in Pittsburgh, Pa.

I think that it really looks like a copper snare drum. I'm still torn between my three choices, so I'm still open to suggestions. Thanks again for responding. John

You can do no wrong with any of the snares you've mentioned. As with everything, you'll have to leave it to you ears.

You can get a nice used Acro for half the price of a Supra.

'Overpowering' sound in snares, which you are shyign away from is sometimes up to the user and how they play.

I looked it up.
I'd link it, but it's taking for-e-ver to load up after the pic pops up.

That's the LM305 import Bronze snare. The 6.5 model is the LM306.

It's a great sounding drum, but it's not a Copper shell. Whoever wrote up the info for the site is either typing what someone said, or just looked a pic. Yeah, it looks "copper colored" but it's definitely a Bronze shell.

Happy snare buying!!

An OK price, a little on the high side though.

I'd go with the 6.5 Acro for something that can cover all the bases, but is not going to be overly loud, or piercing in overtone ring when you lay into it.
It's a great one for smaller venues where you want something that sounds good without having to mute it down much, or at all.

A Supra is a safe bet all day long though.

Thanks for all of the info. I've decided to save some and hold out for a Supra.

In the mean time I've pulled out my Pearl Masters 6 x 14 Maple and put new heads and snares on it. I forgot how nice this snare was and I think I'll be satisified until I find the right Supra. Take care. John

Awesome! And it's not like you're slumming with the master snare either!

Have fun "suffering" with it (while you find the right deal) haha!

Back