Supply and Demand

P

paradiddle pete

While in lockdown been doing a bit of screen Browsing of instruments. Made a few offers that were declined as I offered what I thought was a sellable price. Mainly on Les Pauls Fenders Etc I'm good with drums ATM, and have noticed that not only have prices increased on the whole but older instruments are going for what they were when new! Sometimes even more.And while I get that people can do with their instruments what they will it seems the internet is abundantly full of overpriced interments. I mean C'MON ..lots of supply not much demand // What Gives.. ? Could it be most of these adds are from music business's that can afford to just let things sit on the net or just I don't really want to sell prices hoping someone will just pony up..

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had this discussion with a mate, ususallu just after Christmas the used market can be a buyers one as people sell instruments that they never used, gear that was replaced or to pay off debts. It doesn't seem to have happened in lockdown, perhaps people are just prepared to sit things out, perhaps people have spent less money inlockdown so aren't desperate to sell?

I read yesterday that 40 % of renters face eviction if the moratorium on rents ends. People may have trouble getting jobs. It might not seem like it but there is a recession now.

I read yesterday that 40 % of renters face eviction if the moratorium on rents ends. People may have trouble getting jobs. It might not seem like it but there is a recession now.

I'm seeing this reflected in my local CL. I check it everyday. High dollar and vintage gear has been popping up a lot more lately, and it seems to be around the middle to the end of the month. Doesnt matter what it is either; drums, guitar, bass, wind, I even saw a vintage piano that I have never seen one like it before.

It's not just musical gear either. I'm seeing tons of vintage cars, luxury or new cars, random old car parts not normally seen, people selling used oil, used windshield wipers, etc. Folks are broke and need money bad and fast.

This piano is so cool.

Some sellers consider their asking prices to be nonnegotiable. Lower offers are declined or ignored. If you want a streamlined purchasing experience, come forth with the asking price immediately. If you think it's too high, move on to another product. Regardless, no seller is required to negotiate. It's his or her possession to do with as he or she pleases.

My friend just received over twelve thousand dollars in pandemic aid (fact, please no analysis or commentary.)
I think it is actually a seller's market now. People who are working are overtime at it and the help programs are generous, (again, please no analysis etc.)

Anecdotally, it seemed like for the first few weeks of the lockdown, there was a lot of stuff being listed on CL. But, yeah, it's definitely slowed down over the past few months, and prices are not where I thought they'd be. (Not that I was really looking to buy, I just assumed.)

I was thinking about this just this morning. It seems like instrument prices are actually going up even though no one is gigging. I'm thinking that more people are at home shopping than ever, and this is pushing up the price (or at least they are holding REALLY steady).

Also, another thing to keep in mind is that just because things are for sale at a premium price doesn't mean that they are actually selling. When people are desperate for cash, they will attempt their best to sell gear at a high price to get the most out of it.

I was thinking about this just this morning. It seems like instrument prices are actually going up even though no one is gigging. I'm thinking that more people are at home shopping than ever, and this is pushing up the price (or at least they are holding REALLY steady).

Also, another thing to keep in mind is that just because things are for sale at a premium price doesn't mean that they are actually selling. When people are desperate for cash, they will attempt their best to sell gear at a high price to get the most out of it.

Ooh I didnt think about that. People sitting at home with nothing to do but drive themselves farther into debt. That antique instrument that's been handed down through generations is starting to look like food.

Ooh I didnt think about that. People sitting at home with nothing to do but drive themselves farther into debt. That antique instrument that's been handed down through generations is starting to look like food.

Yup. Everyone's story is different. We have no idea what buyers and sellers are going through right now.

It seems to me prices for a lot of things are higher now, not just used goods.

On further investigation, I believe it is mostly people hoping someone will pony up rediculously high prices ! And that now interestingly for eg. the 2003 model holds the same value as the 2019 model of brand "X"? Second hand used to be just that " Used " but beyond that the things that are selling are for a reasonable price.

Back