Superbowl Halftime - Zak Starkey

You all talking about the CSI theme song half time show??

Hate to reveal the "secret" but there were prerecorded tracks used for that performance. Pete milked that windmill thing for all it was worth and I could have done without him exposing his gut. Where's Janet when you need her? All around ANOTHER tired act.

The drums IMO were the clear winner of the show.

Absolutely some was prerecorded, some was live. Lead vocal phrases were heard that didn't come out of singers' mouths, and drum fills were heard that the drummer wasn't playing. It wasn't a bad performance considering the short time they had to squeeze in a few bars of a medley of hits, although the transitions were weak. Some of the lead guitar licks were pretty lame and some chord chops were missed, but he's no spring chicken anymore. Visuals were pretty cool. I saw them at DC Verizon Center back in 2008 and it was a knockout show, great sound and performance.

Hi everyone.

I for one am always looking forward to any The Who performance, as bad as it may turn out. This performance was slightly above average for me (slightly). The fact that they still have a passion to play is inspiring in and of itself.

I liked the set list. If you're going to play to however many millions of people, more than ever in your career, you'd want to pick the songs that personify The Who, and in that regard, I think going with Roger's idea instead of Pete's worked out pretty good (as far as playing a medley instead of two whole songs).

It did seem at times that what I was hearing was not matching exactly what I was seeing, but I didn't make anything of it until I found this thread! At the end of the set, I did see Zak strike his snare drum (a final flam, I think), but there was no sound. I figured that they may have turned off the drums audio right at the end of playing, but man, that was fast! Again, didn't think much of it, but it was a little suspicious. :)

As far as Mr. Starkey goes, I'm really not a fan of his style. It looks amateurish to me. Now before you guys BLAST me, I'm not saying he's an amateur! I'm just saying that I don't like his style of play. My brother texted me during the performance saying 'the drummer doesn't look right'. Whether it was because his sound wasn't live or he also didn't like his style, I didn't ask him what he thought. But I answered back saying, "I can't stand his style, but he plays for The Who, so he can suck as much as he wants." Besides, no one will ever be Keith Moon, so I'm assuming Zak's not trying to be.

Bottom line for me is I liked The Who's performance in general. Who knows how many more times we'll see them. But I'll be watching!

I thought they were seriously godawful, Zak included. And I hate those silly ass 30sec clips. Why couldn't they just do two or three full songs instead of ten minutes of previews?

Hello guys, just to set the record straight that DW never used Goldentimes shells. They have always used RCI Starlite Shells exclusively for all of there DW & Pacific lines of snares and sets, Tommy Lee Rock Star Supernova set with the 32" & 40" red bass drums, Mars Volta Thomas Pridgen clear, Joey Castillo of Queens of the Stone Age Clear and many more clients large and small. When quality and dependability counts you can trust the heart of your drums sound to RCI Starlite International. Thanks, JohnnyC RCI Artist Relations Director

Hello guys, just to set the record straight that DW never used Goldentimes shells. They have always used RCI Starlite Shells exclusively for all of there DW & Pacific lines of snares and sets, Tommy Lee Rock Star Supernova set with the 32" & 40" red bass drums, Mars Volta Thomas Pridgen clear, Joey Castillo of Queens of the Stone Age Clear and many more clients large and small. When quality and dependability counts you can trust the heart of your drums sound to RCI Starlite International. Thanks, JohnnyC RCI Artist Relations Director

Thank's for clearing things up for my own info !

Regards :)

It seemed to me that Zak was trying to look like Moon with certain nuances of his style such as raising his stick in the air and such. Zak is one of my favorites and the performance that blew me away was the New York Fire Fighters and Police benefit in 2001 when Entswisle (spelling?) was still alive. Zak was playing a red sparkle dw (with the throne lower). My wife thought Robert looked like an old literature professor. The sound guy needed to be fired after that mix. Too bad. I think they performed well enough but the sound was terrible so everybody thinks they were terrible.

I'm thinking he meant Roger Daltry not Robert (which I'm guessing he's getting the lead singer from Led Zep confused with)

It seemed to me that Zak was trying to look like Moon with certain nuances of his style such as raising his stick in the air and such.

That was my impression also. He captured a lot of Moon's personality, facial expressions, and moves. I thought he did a good job.

The drumming was pretty good, Pete and Roger were meh at best...but let's be honest here. Hands down, the best thing on that stage from the start to the end, was Pino Pallidino on the bass. Dude was just on fire.

And just to clarify since some people seem confused: those cymbals were custom made to be the Who logos. From everything I heard, they sounded pretty fantastic.

Me neither, most half time shows are a joke. I really dug the stage/light setup it had, very unique and cool. I'll admit I've never been a big fan of the who but it was an o.k. performance, better than the past few years in my book.

Saw the DW badges right away and thought, since when did DW start making acrylic kits???

I keep hearing this about the acrylic kits by DW when I see the halftime posts and I was taken back @ the NAMM show this year when I saw this DW acrylic kit

Attachments

• IMG_1227a.jpg
    IMG_1227a.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 6,739
I'm an old Who fan from way back and yes I'm old too. I thought they did a very good job and Zak I thought played great. Pete and Roger are getting up there but for their age let's give them some credit.

I'm just sick of hearing people talk about the NFL "dusting off the Who". Those guys still perform regularly. It's not like this was some one-off show that Roger and Pete were coming out of retirement to do. People have off-nights. I'm just questioning why Pete wears those open overshirts. Every video I see of him, they get in the way of his windmills, superbowl included.

The drumming was pretty good, Pete and Roger were meh at best...but let's be honest here. Hands down, the best thing on that stage from the start to the end, was Pino Pallidino on the bass. Dude was just on fire.
Ha ha! Oh man, too funny!

And just to clarify since some people seem confused: those cymbals were custom made to be the Who logos. From everything I heard, they sounded pretty fantastic.
And to just clarify one step further - Since it seems pretty clear, esp during "Won't Get Fooled Again", that Zak was drumming to prerecorded drum parts, you were probably not hearing painted cymbals or acrylic drums. I could be wrong, but that's my sense of it.

I watched and studied/slowmotioned some fills - great by the way - and i'm sure drumming was live. Nearly impossible to learn the air-drumming so exactly. Just my opinion - i feel quite sure but always ready to learn something new and prove me wrong - no problem....

Bernhard

Hands down, the best thing on that stage from the start to the end, was Pino Pallidino on the bass. Dude was just on fire.

Yep, he was awesome. The bass lead in on "who are you" was so in the pocket.

I'm just sick of hearing people talk about the NFL "dusting off the Who". Those guys still perform regularly. It's not like this was some one-off show that Roger and Pete were coming out of retirement to do. People have off-nights. I'm just questioning why Pete wears those open overshirts. Every video I see of him, they get in the way of his windmills, superbowl included.

From what I heard and read most are aware that they tour regularly. It just seems to me nostalgia keeps most fans from saying anything negative about the performance when it was somewhat lackluster.

Back