sunk to... craigslist

AGiampa

So I say this in nearly every post, but I haven't *really* played for years and recently got the itch again. For the past month or so I've had drums on my brain and have been messing around with (but not playing) some of my gear I have here stored at the house. The itch came when I found out a co-worker has access to a rehearsal lockout and was thinking about finding people to rent another one. I got all excited at the prospect of being able to move my drums in and play whenever I wanted. That and I could practice with my other friend who plays guitar. But basically, after all this time nothing has moved on either front so I'm sitting here dying to play, with no place to play, not wanting to bug my friends to spend time and money on something they aren't ready to do.

So I sunk to a new low... posting on craigslist. ::::screams of horror::::

I outlined what I am and what I want to do. Basically I'll play with anyone that has a place to play in the city I live (Irvine) or a neighboring city. I work at 100% night lately, usually starting between 5 and 6 pm, so I can only play during the day. This means I would probably have to cut any practice at 4pm, pack up and rush home in time to shower for work. This is explicitly why it needs to be close, because I can't be rushing home on the freeway after 4pm, I'd never make it to work (that and I drive a 51 year old car that can't really be sitting still on the freeway).

I posted the ad at almost 5am this morning (since I work at night I can rarely fall asleep as soon as I get home), and only have gotten one response so far. From a guy who couldn't follow my request, who lives in Anaheim. No Anaheim's not far, but REASONS!! =)

I know beggars can't be choosers, but luckily considering how low-key I want this to be, I think I can be choosey. I was pretty specific to what I was looking for. Unfortunately for most people it happens to be something that I need to be pretty much in the same city.

Wish me luck.

Not sure why that is a "horror' to you. Are you ashamed to post to c/list?

Where i live, many people, especially non-pros, post on c/list to find people to play with, no matter what the genre/level/commitment/sex/schedule/drum kit/ride/double pedal/rehearsal space/ cymbal/amp one has. Its very useful and efficient. It takes time to weed through people, but hopefully you'll find the right fit. Good luck.

In Canada there's a classified ads website but specific for musicians called musolist.
I remember there's another one that wasn't restricted only to Canada but I can't remember the name right now. Maybe someone else knows.

I'm sure there must be something similar for the US. I received a couple of invitations from those websites when my profile was up. Apart from that, I think cl is also a good choice, you shouldn't be afraid of it.

Not sure why that is a "horror' to you. Are you ashamed to post to c/list?

Where i live, many people, especially non-pros, post on c/list to find people to play with, no matter what the genre/level/commitment/sex/schedule/drum kit/ride/double pedal/rehearsal space/ cymbal/amp one has. Its very useful and efficient. It takes time to weed through people, but hopefully you'll find the right fit. Good luck.

The horror is a joke, mostly. I've used craigslist before, found a guy who was actually in the closest thing I had to a band for a while. But 95% of the time it's flakes and people who don't read the ads correctly. I tried to sell a car on craigslist in 2009 and after a month literally everyone who responded flaked and I had to resort to selling it on ebay for half as much as it was worth.

But yea, the horror/joke thing I thought would have been clearer by the end when I said the one guy who responded completely ignored my need for someone closer. Just like 'hey you're a drummer lets play I live 10 miles away'. =) Even though 10 miles isn't far at all my situation restricts it 90% of the time.

But 95% of the time it's flakes and people who don't read the ads correctly.

Yep. Been there. Like I said, lots of weeding, it can weigh on your patience.
Thought to name a band 'the craigslist flakes' once.

Nothing useful to add, but as a petrolhead, I'm curious: what's the 1962 car?

What about retired guys?
If age isn't an issue, these guys are free all day and I bet they would rather be jamming then hanging at the mall. Remember, these guys would be same age as our classic rock heroes so age shouldn't be an issue.
Probably some killer players out there that would be more than happy to session.

I have posted this before, but I think Craigslist is a perfectly viable way to meet other musicians. Back in LA in the 80's there was a weekly circular called The Recycler. In the recycler there was a section for musicians, which was very widely used. In fact Metallica and Motley Crue were put together, in part, due to Recycler ads. I have always felt that CL is just the 2000's version of the Recycler, and many other such paper circulars.

Yes there are flakes, but welcome to planet earth, there are flakes in all aspects of life. You just need to be patient and stick to your guns. You will eventually find what you are looking for.

What about retired guys?
If age isn't an issue, these guys are free all day and I bet they would rather be jamming then hanging at the mall. Remember, these guys would be same age as our classic rock heroes so age shouldn't be an issue.
Probably some killer players out there that would be more than happy to session.

If they respond to the ad, that's cool. I'm hoping to find someone 25+, so I automatically skip the teen set that wants to play genres I do not understand. =)

I have posted this before, but I think Craigslist is a perfectly viable way to meet other musicians. Back in LA in the 80's there was a weekly circular called The Recycler. In the recycler there was a section for musicians, which was very widely used. In fact Metallica and Motley Crue were put together, in part, due to Recycler ads. I have always felt that CL is just the 2000's version of the Recycler, and many other such paper circulars.

Yes there are flakes, but welcome to planet earth, there are flakes in all aspects of life. You just need to be patient and stick to your guns. You will eventually find what you are looking for.

I remember the Recycler.

This whole post was basically just a big 'sigh, time to craigslist it again'. =) The process of weeding out begins. I did get another response, from a guy's band who are a little older than me. It's too serious a project for me. =\

No other responses... I'll update the ad and repost it I guess. It's kinda long so I figure a lot of craigslisters can't handle that so I'll have to shorten it. Also though it always seems that the people who post on and look at craigslist are wanting high energy pop/punk, emo/screamo, or metal bands. Which is odd because I live in Orange County and there's a lot of trendy hipster indie bands, and there's a big scene here. Weird that I didn't get more than 2 responses.

Back