Suggestions on how to get rid of a custom kit

greenstar323

Ok this might sound like an odd title....let me explain.

When I was 16 I thought it would be cool to make a custom kit so my dad helped me make a kit 14x24, 9x13, 10x14, 16x16, 16x18. I don't really use it. I suppose it has some sentimental value as something I built with my dad but I really don't think I will miss them.

Originally I thought of keeping the 13, 16, 24 and converting the 14 and 18 into a nesting kit or something unnecessary. But I don't really want to put more money into something like this.

I have room to store them but I just hate keeping stuff just to keep it. I already have 2 other kits I use often to cart around to gigs or jams. Truth is I want to make room for a Saturn V as my main kit at home.

I could sell them but who would buy a kit made by an amateur?

I suppose my options are:

1. Sell if it's viable
2. Throw them in a room and forget about them to one day repurpose but probably not?
3. Donate to some needy neighborhood kid who really wants to learn to play.
4. Sell parts? (Do people buy random lugs, hoops, time mounts?)

What's realistic here.

1. What kind of shells did you use?
  2. What kind of finish is on them?
  3. How nice is the hardware?

Pics would be good.

All of this will dictate what they are worth.

Donating them....will do amazing things in your life.

You won't know how amazing unless you go ahead and make someone happy.

If you can afford to donate them, you will get the most you can from them.

I totally agree. Peace and goodwill.

If it's a space issue and it's impossible to store them any longer, that's a bummer. Otherwise I suggest keeping them. My dad passed away 5 years ago, I wish I had more things to remember him by, not less.

Chris

On my last spring cleaning I donated literally ALL of my excess hardware and orphan drums and cases to my favorite drum shop - it blew them away and I felt very happy about my decision knowing the purpose was to help out a lot of other drummers in need not as lucky as me.

If you can really part with the drums (you might want to give your sentimentality another close look though), I would donate again in a heartbeat. You could try stripping the parts and putting them up on eBay - people do look for stuff, but considering it's such a buyer's market for complete name-brand drum sets, you could be selling them for a lot longer than you wanted to spend time on.

If it's a space issue and it's impossible to store them any longer, that's a bummer. Otherwise I suggest keeping them. My dad passed away 5 years ago, I wish I had more things to remember him by, not less.

Chris

Agree with this sentiment.

Alright guys thanks for the suggestions... donating might be the way to go. I don't have a recent pic on me right now and I'm not home to take a pic, but they were maple shells (6 ply toms and 8 ply bass I think) w/ Slingerland lugs. Finish is just clear satin.

Back