Suggestions for a drum rug on a budget

Strange

Hi! I am in the need of a drum rug/carpet in order to avoid my gear moving.

I am building my practice kit in the cheapest way possible, any sophisticated or specialized equipment is a hard no. I just need something that does the job, can be small. For example, would a yoga mat cut it? What do you all use to secure your kit in place?

Thanks!

I bought one at Walmart for $ 20 just a few days ago

For example, would a yoga mat cut it?

Yoga mat is too thick and squishy - the cymbal stands will swing from side to side.
Also too narrow - you really want something wide enough that your drum stool rests on the edge of it to stop it all sliding away.

My local hardware store sells 5ft wide ‘outdoor’ carpet on a big roll - I cut off about 6ft in black. The carpet itself is quite thin, which makes it lighter to carry around, but the spikes still dig into it and don’t move.

I use these on most of my kits. The rubber back prevents slipping, even on on smooth concrete floors. $20 and you’re ready. A remnant would probably be cheaper, but I prefer no slippage.

Go to a carpet store and ask them if you can look through their trash. They more than likely will allow you to take a small slice of carpet for free. Just make sure you ask first, or you are then stealing.

Rubber backing is unnecessary. Doesn't hurt, but it makes the rug heavier and more unwieldy for carrying. I use a 5 x 7 piece of unbacked grey indoor outdoor carpet. I cut it from a larger piece that I got new at Home Depot for 20 bones. It folds up to about the size of a loaf of bread and weighs maybe a pound. As long as my throne is on the rug, I never had a slippage problem, even on ceramic floors.

Many of us use a 5x7.
Most of us could easily get by with a 4x6
You can use a 3x5 if you don't mind your throne being over the edge.

All of these will be < $20 at a department store.

A 6x6 would be a better size for me. 5x7 is a little more than I need. One less decision on how to set the rug too lol. That fits perfectly in my world for sure ha ha. My carpet is so thin that it doesn't matter if a stand is half on and half off.

I only need the rug for the bass drum, hi hat and the throne to anchor everything.

I am a master anchor. I got that down lol.

I just measured the area my drums take up and a 5 x 8 would be perfect. I found a nice 5'3" x 7'2" black persian rug on Home Depot that looks cool and doesn't cost much. Less than $40. I think that's my next drum rug. The front of my bass drum might extend off the front but the spurs would be there and my more remote cymbal stands on either side might also end up with one leg off the rug. I don't see that as an issue.

image.png

Last edited:
Hi! I am in the need of a drum rug/carpet in order to avoid my gear moving.

I am building my practice kit in the cheapest way possible, any sophisticated or specialized equipment is a hard no. I just need something that does the job, can be small. For example, would a yoga mat cut it? What do you all use to secure your kit in place?

Thanks!
Did some shopping around and decent rugs are surprisingly expensive.
Went to my local carpet shop and they had stacks of remnants to choose from - got twice as much charcoal grey as I needed for ten quid!
Ordinary glued carpet tends to unravel at the edges over time - but at £5 a throw ...

A plain dark background is quite a flattering background for a kit too, I reckon. (Had to skew the kit due to the cramped space)20201004_190909.jpg

Last edited:
Go to a carpet store and ask them if you can look through their trash. They more than likely will allow you to take a small slice of carpet for free. Just make sure you ask first, or you are then stealing.

this is what I always do!! Have never paid for a carpet piece. Almost always get blue, dark grey or black

Here's how I did it in the good old 70s: 1. Play a dance at an area high school or armory. Find janitor's rug near a doorway. Drag it on the stage, then set up your kit. Check for fit, as you have to decide if it's a good one. After the gig, wrap it up and go home. Now, THAT's some Old School shit!

Ok. I thought I had found the perfect rug. But I found a better one. Also at Home Depot. It's an indoor/outdoor rug. It's bigger at 6 x 8. and it's black. And it's cheaper. $23.46. With tax, $25.01. And the bigger size means I'll be able to fit my entire kit on it no matter what I bring with me. Perfect.

I spent about $60 on a "drum mat", which amounted to a 5'X6' piece of PVC. Sticky, but useless. I spent $120 on a Ludwig drum rug that is a bit larger than 5'X6'. Married the mat to the rug, and I'm happy with every penny I spent.

Attachments

• drumkit03272022.JPG
    drumkit03272022.JPG
    385.4 KB · Views: 6
Go to Lowes and buy the cheapest carpet available. I bought, brand new, 8'x12' carpet on clearance for less than $30. I've done this multiple times for projects.

I would try Goodwill or Salvation Army. OR any thrift shop. All you need is an area rug. 5x7 should do it. I got one at Home Depot for $45 new. It was on sale however. Might even try a carpet store and ask about remnants.
I paid 35 for a rug that size at Lowe’s. Very pretty rug, too. I like it because it’s super light. There isn’t any rubber on the bottom but I don’t need it since my stool fits on it. Excuse me… My throne sits on it. I know some of the folks on here get upset if you call it a stool. But dang it, it’s a stool.

Back