Suggest Some Cymbals

gish

About me- I’m a weekend gigging drummer playing classic rock/pop stuff. My current cymbal set is fine; 15” new beats, 18” medium thin crash, 21” sweet ride. My cymbals are on the bright side of the spectrum. I find myself wanting a darker, more “mature” sound so to speak. Nothing too crazy dark; I seem to like the K dark thin crashes so that’s a starting point. I’ll be keeping my current cymbals, but looking for some suggestions for a darker, more mature general purpose set of bronze. Hats, crash, versatile ride. Open to any brand. If you guys have some standouts to suggest I’m all ears. Plan is to come up with a list of models to narrow the search a bit, then head to Dales in Harrisburg later in the year. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited:

oldmetalhead

In my opinion the PaistePST7 line is the best bang for the buck. I have three of them and they are dark and warm. It's only my opinion and I am stuck with it.

roncadillac

About me- I’m a weekend gigging drummer playing classic rock/pop stuff. My current cymbal set is fine; 15” new beats, 18” medium thin crash, 21” sweet ride. My cymbals are on the bright side of the spectrum. I find myself wanting a darker, more “mature” sound so to speak. Nothing too crazy dark; I seem to like the K dark thin crashes so that’s a starting point. I’ll be keeping my current cymbals, but looking for some suggestions for a darker, more mature general purpose set of bronze. Hats, crash, versatile ride. Open to any brand. If you guys have some standouts to suggest I’m all ears. Plan is to come up with a list of models to narrow the search a bit, then head to Dales in Harrisburg later in the year. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Try the Zildjian 18" uptown ride, I love mine. It would fit into your mix of cymbals very well and give you a dry voice without clashing what you've got already.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I've added a few Sabian "dark" cymbals to my array.
22" AA Aopllo ride
18" XSR Monarch crash
18" HH King Crash
18" AA Sick Hats
14" XSR Monarch Hats
I think they'd all play well with your current line up.

gish

Thanks for the responses. Some feedback-

-No offense but PST7s are the exact opposite of what I’m looking for
- Not looking to add to what I have; looking for a complete set of cymbals that are general purpose but darker than my current set
- the breakbeat ride is a cool little cymbal but nothing at all like what I’m looking for
- I like the zildjian k’s very much and will take a good look when I’m ready to buy; interested in hearing about other brands and models to target as well

Since I posted this thread I watched a few videos of the new Sabian HHX complex cymbals. The thin crashes in the videos sounded a lot like what I am looking for; looking forward to trying them in person.

johnwesley

Silver Member
Zildjian Ks are my choice. Dream makes good inexpensive cymbals. I have an Istanbul Agop Xist effects cymbal that is just perfect. I don't like Sabian although I have a 10" AA china that is fabulous. Used to like Paiste but for some reason I don't anymore and judging from people selling them on line, they seem to crack a lot more than most. Haven't tried Saluda, Soultone, Crescent, or other off brands but hear good things. Don't know if this has anything to do with your post but it is my 2 cents worth.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I dove into Istanbul Mehmets pretty heavy, a few years ago, Had an Agop too, plus a couple pre-splits. Since you like the Sabian HHX Complex (can't go wrong there) ..... maybe listen to some Mehmets. Sultan series is a good place to start.

IBitePrettyHard

Aside from the obligatory standard Zildjian K line...the first cymbals you should be checking out are probably the Zildjian K Sweet line and the Meinl Byzance Extra Dry line.

The new Zildjian K Cluster crashes are great too if you want something trashier.

All of these lines are thinner cymbals, and are versatile enough for all but the loudest styles.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I played in a Classic Rock band for a bit. My HHX Evolutions sat in very nicely. Any of the crashes 17 or larger would be great. 16 is too short and bright for the genre. Either the 21 or 22" rides would work well too. Having said that, the new Zildjian K Sweet or HHX Complex lines would work very well or even better.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Big thumbs up for the K Dark Thin Crashes they are great for all genres.

Haven't got one but I hear good things about the 22 K Light Ride. I have the 15" K Light Hats which are amazing.

There's lots of cymbal companies that will go really dark and complex, wouldn't go down the extra dry road either as they're not an all purpose pie like the Ks

Mustion

Sounds like K is the way to go, if you've got the scratch for it. The sizes in your current setup match the best of the K line as far as I am concerned: 15" hats, 18" dark thin and 21" sweet. Be patient and buy them used and you could probably get the whole set for $600-$700 total.