Suggest a Paiste 20" For Me

tank

I need suggestions for an additional 20" Paiste to crash not a China
Something that will go well with the Giant Beats
especially the 20" Giant Beat and a 602 18" crash

I've tried the Paiste 20" 2002, red label, medium
and the Paiste 20" 2002, red label, crash
Both are sweet cymbals for sure but a bit too bright to fit right with the Giant Beats

I have personal experience with Paiste 2002, 602, 505 and Giant Beats only. No experience with the other Paiste models/lines.

Can anybody suggest another model Paiste 20" cymbal
to be used primarily as a left side crash,
that will sound good with Giant Beats and a 602

I would love to find a 20" that was a little trashy sounding but not a China
I guess I'm thinking thinner taper, lighter, darker sounding 20"
20" 505, green label crash would be cool but probably hard to find

I play retro rock with a 26, 6, 14, 16, 18 kit. Right now I play:
24" Giant Beat, blk label reissue, multi, bass drum mount, on right
20" Giant Beat, blk label reissue, multi, to right of that
18" 2002, 1976 blk label, medium, to right of that
15" 2002, SE, 1976 blk label, top hat
15" Giant Beat reissue blk label, bottom hat, to left
20" ? ,to left
18" 602, blk label reissue, thin/crash, to left

Thanks all.

Last edited:

TTNW

Pioneer Member
Try listening to the Paiste Signature Traditional.

It's not quite as bright and just a little trashy. It would definitely go well with your GB.

patrice

18" 2002, 1976 blk label, medium, to right of that
Apologies for not actually contributing, but: got the same model in my collection, and I absolutely love it! (I would've suggested a 2002 18" or 20" Medium - but saw in your original post that you'd already tried the latter & didn't like it...)

Thinking out of the box (but knowing it would most likely not fit with the style of music you said you play): most of the Twenty Masters Collection rides that I have tried sounded pretty good when crashed.

Patrice

dwdrummerky

If you can find a 20" Twenty Crash or Light Ride they are great large crashes. I have the 20" Twenty Crash and its big, dark, and powerful. It also sounds great as a left side ride, not to mention it sounds HUGE when laid into.

tank

Great ideas and suggestions. Thank you everybody. I'm grateful to have the Paiste soundfiles to refer to. So far, I'm really liking the Paiste Twenty series 20" Crash/Ride to go with my Giant Beats, 602 and 2002's, especially the Paiste Twenty series 20" up against the Giant Beat 20". Thanks.

Last edited:

Tyger

If you can find a 20" Twenty Crash or Light Ride they are great large crashes. I have the 20" Twenty Crash and its big, dark, and powerful. It also sounds great as a left side ride, not to mention it sounds HUGE when laid into.
Agreed, although the light ride is fairly bright so I think the Twenty Crash would do you nice. They are hard to come by these days but if you want to try out a trusted ebay guy I know I'd be happy to send you his info.

T

TFITTING942

Paiste Alpha Metal 20 crash. I have the 18, and 19 and they are amazing and very loud. Our rythm guitar player actually complained and moved further away from my dum kit because of the volume generated by these. All of the other paise lines above this one are great, an a lot more money but I have never played them. You can hear sound bytes on Paistes website for all of their cymbals.

AFE87

For a not-too-bright 20" crash, I think the Dark Energy is a good choice if you're lucky enough to find one on ebay (which happens occasionally). Opens up well for a 20" (doesn't feel like a manhole cover) and has enough stick definition to double as a complex sounding left-side ride. I've heard the 19" is good for this as well. Again, ebay could help in this regard.

Deibert

Try listening to the Paiste Signature Traditional.

It's not quite as bright and just a little trashy. It would definitely go well with your GB.
A Traditional Medium Ride can serve as a big quick crash as well as an excellent ride. My go to ride cymbal for all but the loudest playing.

aryo

HEY BRO... iwant to sale or trade my vintage and rare (i guess) my PAISTE SOUND FORMULA 602 MEDIUM 20 BLUE LABEL. contact me if u are interested. CHEERS...

email: aryopratama44@yahoo.com
twitter: @aryo_buzzroll
facebook: ario pratama
bbm: ask me
phone: +6289685406814