Suggest a Metronome

cbphoto

Diamond Member
However great apps are, I think a dedicated device still has its advantages.
Not everyone wants another dependency on / distraction by their smartphone.
Whatever rocks your boat.
I agree. Using a phone for serious practice is a mistake for me. Too many interruptions are possible. The iPad might be a good platform, but email, messages and any other notifications must be muted.

Arkansmay

I use an app on my android phone called Metronome Beats. Its pretty great actually, Ive never felt the need to look further for a metronome. It does way more than I need it to.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
I use one of the free online metronomes with a tablet computer and headphones. I change the volume so it's about as loud as my drums are through closed back headphones.

BenOBrienSmith

However great apps are, I think a dedicated device still has its advantages.
Not everyone wants another dependency on / distraction by their smartphone.
Whatever rocks your boat.
Out of curiosity, why not? Chances are, you've almost always got your phone with you. Additionally, you can engage various focus modes to be able to minimize interruption. For all intents and purposes, your phone becomes a hardware metronome but you don't create more waste by purchasing an additional piece of hardware. On top of that, the cost of a capable app pales in comparison to a similar option in a standalone unit. If you've already got a phone in your pocket, why buy another thing?

eric_B

Out of curiosity, why not? Chances are, you've almost always got your phone with you. Additionally, you can engage various focus modes to be able to minimize interruption. For all intents and purposes, your phone becomes a hardware metronome but you don't create more waste by purchasing an additional piece of hardware. On top of that, the cost of a capable app pales in comparison to a similar option in a standalone unit. If you've already got a phone in your pocket, why buy another thing?
Hi Ben,

To put thing into perspective, I'm no ancient anti tech guy.
In fact, I'm into tech / coding / programming, etc. Check out some projects I have created over here.
But that made me realize even more not to want to rely too much on one device / app / eco system.

For example: I own an iPad2, it still works and looks as good as new. It is obsolete because Apple stopped offering newer OS's for it so many apps don't work anymore. One of the few apps I can still use is Spotify but it's crippled as it can only play saved playlists.
My over 10 year old Rhythm Watch and DB-30 still work as new. See my point?

moxman

Silver Member
I've been using my phone Tempo app metronome for over 15 years, and it beats any hardware device I've tried hands down. Not once has it been 'interrupted' by anything - ever. I also bought a phone stand that clamps onto my kick for easy reach.
As I play in several bands, having quick access to various setlists with the order and tempos ready at a touch of the finger is priceless.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member

I think that if I was just practicing at home or just jamming with friends, I'd have no issues with just using my phone. However, whenever I'm playing live, I like that big, tangible jog wheel of the Boss DB-90. I also like the sliders on it so if I need to double up the BPM, I can do it without hardly looking at it. In addition, I keep an emergency set list of songs and their respective BPM's in my phone. Also, I use it as a communication device during shows.

KenDoken

Boss dr-30

Fast and easy to use
Makes a nice noise although not loud
Small enough to fit in a stick bag or be sandwiched between earmuff and ear

Benny grebbs teachings on using offbeat click sounds clever but can't say I have ever tried