Sudden taste change

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Evans heads are out, and Remo reclaims the title.

It started with...I know I can get better tone from this drum (12" Yolanda)

I have currently have 5 toms set up with Yolanda in my studio, so I needed to tune them differently as a family. So my 12" tom is pretty high. 12" is the most problematic tom in my life. I wasn't digging it high. (now I am)

I real eyes'd that to my ear Genera resos are just too brittle sounding.

I replaced the bottom Genera reso with a remo clear ambassador. One of my few Remo tom heads I have.

That was enough to transform the drum. I dug it tuned high again. So I want a Remo on top.

Because I feel like blabbing, I also realized that for my rack toms (10/12/13) I wanted metal hoops because I need as much unmiced bite from those drums as I can get. Because of their smaller size and less projection.

The 13...I could go either way hoopwise, I'm just going with metal to match the 12.

I don't gig the 10 anymore, it dies too quick unmiced. It's just too small. Recording or miced, yea the 10" tom all day long. Live, I've shifted to 12/13 up top from 10/12

Wood hoops on my floor toms is like honey in my tea, so I keep them. Warm and comforting

I saw a bass drum head comparison video where a bunch of different brands were compared, and every Remo head sounded fuller to me.

Bam, just like that, 90 degree taste shift. It happened with die cast hoops to me about 5 years ago. Also 2 ply snare heads.

Last edited:

ToneT

Uncle Larry, and those of us in-the-know; Remo heads just rule, plain and simple!
Perhaps clear Ambassador, top and bottom, on your 10" tom will bring it back to life.
Mine always barks just fine!
We're all entitled to change our tastes as our drummer journeys continue.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Did Remo change anything related to manufacture in the last 15 years? ie., no more glue in the hoops?

sumdrumguy

That happened to me about 20 years ago with cymbals. 5 years ago with heads.

With the heads, I was ready for/wanting a different sound. Having tried most offerings from Remo and Evans, I decided to give Aquarian heads a try. I've been playing them since.

Change that invigorates and stimulates us to play is always a good thing.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Uncle Larry, and those of us in-the-know; Remo heads just rule, plain and simple!
Perhaps clear Ambassador, top and bottom, on your 10" tom will bring it back to life.
Mine always barks just fine!
We're all entitled to change our tastes as our drummer journeys continue.
Big fan of 10 mil clear over 10 mil clear.

The drum is already back to life good enough with just one Remo head. Even tuned high. There's a big difference

I haven't used Remo as my main head in a very very long time. I like the way Evans fit. But warmth beats even a little brittle-ness to my ear, regardless of fit. So, knowing me, I'm all in with Remo for the time being.

Evans all of a sudden sounds brittle to me. Especially the Genera reso. It was just short of traumatic. Even the G1's all of a sudden sounded more brittle than the equivalent Remo. That's when the ugly truth hit me...I prefer Remo now. It happened around 7:20 PM tonight, April 9th. 2021. Bam!

This is going to end up being about a 500 dollar taste change for me ha ha.

I'm already using Remo pins on some toms and Remo no collar snare sides on all my snares.

Oh and I use the new Remo smooth white crimped heads or Starfires as BD reso's! I'm halfway there.

Not a big fan of uniformity but I can make exceptions.

I'll give you a whole dollar if you can tell me what's the closest thing Remo has to an EMAD 1

Thanks for your support

Last edited:

gish

I have used both Evans and Remo for the last several years, typically buying whichever head was cheaper (most often emperors vs G2s). Like you, I have recently come to the realization that I’m a Remo guy; they just have something I don’t hear in the Evans heads. I am done experimenting; I know what I like and I’m sticking with it. My 11 year old son is not happy about my love for Remo; his name is Evan lol, and he liked seeing his name on my drums.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
My 11 year old son is not happy about my love for Remo; his name is Evan lol, and he liked seeing his name on my drums.
My last bandleader's last name is Evans ha ha. I can understand on a certain level.

I was trying to figure out why I never noticed these qualities about Evans heads prior

I think it may be because I haven't had many Remo's lying about to compare to, for the last 10 years at least. Because I thought I knew what I liked.

What else am I getting wrong?

But anyway, cue the angels.

I said...cue the %$#@&^% angels.

I'M NOT %$#@&^% HEARING THE &O()|@^^^ ANGELS!

Last edited:

yammyfan

That brittle sound you describe might be the "plastic" quality I hear from Evans heads. They fit well but they don't flatter any drum kit I've tried them on.

I've heard rumors about Remo's quality control issues but I've never encountered a bad Remo head in 40 years. Either I'm lucky or the problem is overstated.

Mcdonap

I have also tried Evans, Aquarian and Remo, and I always come back to Remo. To my ears, they just sound the best. I've also been lucky in that I can really only think of one particular head in the last few years that had a quality issue.
In my opinion, the Evans 360 technology is fantastic. I wish Remo had something like that. I like knowing that the head is perfectly level before I even start to tension it.
I will say, (and I'm not trying to be facetious), that all plastic heads have a "plastic" quality to my ears. It's been a quest recently to find the least plastic sounding head. I've dropped that for now, and I'm using coated Ambassadors on both sides.
I'm trying to simplify things a bit as well. I miss how it was when I was young - using whatever I had or was available, and being happy with how everything sounded. I'd like to just get out of my head and play, but if I feel the drum doesn't sound good I have to try to fix it...

pocket player

I think Remo Sounds & feels the best to me, But also for the record i ,used an Aquarian TC coated on my snare batter and it was like a remo on steroids !

drumnut87

i used to use remo CS coated batter on my snare, but i found i was burning through them too fast when i was playing, rehearsing and practicing all the time, tried the evans equivelent and couldnt get on with them, tried an aquarian once and fell in love with their tone, durability and feel. havent looked back from aquarian since on all my drums :)

itd all personal preference though isnt it, thats why theres so much variety on the market, from the big 3 makers, to the semi big ones like attack, to to the smaller ones like horizont, williams, RMV and code :)

lefty2

Platinum Member
I'm really happy with SK 1 or EMAD 1 on my kick and EC 2 clear on toms and Evan's HD coated on snare. I got disappointed with Remo many years ago when I bought some emperor tom heads that were just dead. In the 80s I liked pinstripes.

ToneT

Big fan of 10 mil clear over 10 mil clear.

The drum is already back to life good enough with just one Remo head. Even tuned high. There's a big difference

I haven't used Remo as my main head in a very very long time. I like the way Evans fit. But warmth beats even a little brittle-ness to my ear, regardless of fit. So, knowing me, I'm all in with Remo for the time being.

Evans all of a sudden sounds brittle to me. Especially the Genera reso. It was just short of traumatic. Even the G1's all of a sudden sounded more brittle than the equivalent Remo. That's when the ugly truth hit me...I prefer Remo now. It happened around 7:20 PM tonight, April 9th. 2021. Bam!

This is going to end up being about a 500 dollar taste change for me ha ha.

I'm already using Remo pins on some toms and Remo no collar snare sides on all my snares.

Oh and I use the new Remo smooth white crimped heads or Starfires as BD reso's! I'm halfway there.

Not a big fan of uniformity but I can make exceptions.

I'll give you a whole dollar if you can tell me what's the closest thing Remo has to an EMAD 1

Thanks for your support
Remo Powerstroke Pro? Powerstroke 3 has the inner ring of mylar. The Powerstroke Pros are more similar to the emads.

LittleLegs

I miss how it was when I was young - using whatever I had or was available, and being happy with how everything sounded. I'd like to just get out of my head and play, but if I feel the drum doesn't sound good I have to try to fix it...
So true! The more disposable income I've had the harder it has been to be happy with gear (drums more than cymbals). After a long long quest of never quite being happy enough with very expensive drums, I've just sold my Sonor Prolite for a very good condition used Gretsch New Classic. It came from the shop with the craziest bop tuning and I'm just playing it like that for now - I'm not even trying to find 'perfect' and it's liberating! I've found a way to make them sound good with just my playing.

Sorry, I'm totally off topic. Remo all the way. But I have had sudden taste changes in other areas. I used to hate the sound of wood tipped sticks and then one day nylon just sounded plastic and pingy. It was once Paiste all the way until an 18" K Thin Crash changed my outlook and the 2002s never sounded the same. (Oh, and I used to hate die-cast hoops but I love the different rim shot sounds I can get out of the New Classics and wouldn't go back)

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Remo took the title for my toms. I've been an Evans hydraulic player for a long time, then I discovered how good the Remo CS Black Dots sounded on my mahogany shells.
I'll admit, I did hit up Evans for their version of these, but they didn't have one.
So Remo got the contract.

Kick & snare are still Evans.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
In the 90s, I was using Remo but had a few duds. So I switched to Evans and have been very happy with them. Peace and goodwill.

GMS_Fan

I was a Remo user for decades until I tried Aquarian. I was sold immediately.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Other than a handful of snare drums that came with Evans heads I've pretty much exited the Evans camp back in the early 90's.
I did try an Evans EC1 Reverse Dot head recently that a friend was raving about on several snares drums. At that point I realized
that the Evans line of heads have a "plastic-y" sound to my ear. No disrespect meant by this towards Evans or Evans users, their
heads just no longer suit my taste.

There are still some Remo heads that I like on specific applications, but Aquarian meets and exceeds my expectations.