Sudden obsession with used gear....

greenstar323

Recently I've been trolling guitar center's used inventory, craigslist, and eBay for used gear. I think I'm past the days of buying brand new gear. I've been buying used gear and getting some awesome deals. I just bought a used AAX omni from GC for about $150 cheaper than a new one and the thing looks and sounds great! Now I'm on a used gear buying binge!

Now I just came across a used PDP birch kit for $125. It's beat up a little on the finish, but all the hardware is functional. I'm kind of looking for a kit I can bring to the bars and won't worry about it getting beat up a little... someone stop me.

wildbill

Platinum Member
There's some good deals to be had on used stuff.

You've got to factor in shipping costs.
There's a GC in my state, so I also get charged my state's sales tax on anything I order from any GC in the country.
Not sure if it's like that in all states though.

Pyromaniac777

Silver Member
Same with me. I've been buying lots used stuff lately because of all the great deals. I have a like new Pearl Eliminator Powershifter that I got for $65 sitting on my porch in a box right now. Can't wait until I get home!

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I got some drum bags for my new gig kit for half the price the stores would've charged me, and no sales tax necessary.

Red Menace

Platinum Member
I prefer to buy used. Through the years my unhealthy fascination with pawn shops has lead me to some great deals. Hell, I even bought my wife's wedding ring used; I let some dumb kid pay the jeweler's markup for me.

My best pawnshop finds have been cymbals, I have a set of Sabian Hand Hammered rides (20" and 22" Manhattans and a 20" Carl Allen) plus a 16" 60's Zildjian thin crash that I use as half of a hi hat set. Pure dark, sloshy goodness.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Yup, used gear is the way to go.

One of my best scores was from a pawn shop. I was in the market for a set of hats for my second kit. I noticed a pair of hats, and the top hat was almost black with tarnish. I picked it up, and I saw that they were a set of Zildjian New Beats! The pawn shop owner sold them to me for $50, so I bought that and a bottle of Groove Juice. They cleaned right up, and I'll be playing them at yet another gig tomorrow night!

I also bought my glorious 6-piece Pork Pie kit from evilbay years ago. The auction ended on a Tuesday morning, so I was able to get them at a very decent price.

mandrew

Gold Member
With the exception of 1 snare and the ones that I made, every snare that I have had has been used. I have bought world class snares for $100.

Thunder 42

Silver Member
With the exception of 1 snare and the ones that I made, every snare that I have had has been used. I have bought world class snares for $100.
I'm in the market for world-class used snares...if you ever decide to sell, please send a pm.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I'd also recommend taking a look at shopgoodwill.com and typing "snare" or "drum" into the search field. Acrolites and Radio King's for $50-75 (shipping is typically ridiculous though).

2underpar

Silver Member
Obsessions can easily turn into addictions. Sometimes it's hard to draw the line and you end spending hard earned money on stuff you really don't need just because it's a great deal.

My golf club addiction was a real problem at one point, and now I currently have 21 high end left handed drivers, several sets of irons and even more putters and fairway woods.

And the same goes for drum stuff!!!

wildbill

Platinum Member
Obsessions can easily turn into addictions. Sometimes it's hard to draw the line and you end spending hard earned money on stuff you really don't need just because it's a great deal.

My golf club addiction was a real problem at one point, and now I currently have 21 high end left handed drivers, several sets of irons and even more putters and fairway woods.

And the same goes for drum stuff!!!

Ha ha - the "Great Deal".

It's a very fine line between the self esteem boost of I'm so smart because I got the great deal,
and I'm so dumb because I spent so much money on the great deals that I don't really need, probably won't use, and might not even want.

greenstar323

Even with shipping it comes out to less than $175! I always factor in shipping and sales tax. Luckily I live in the NYC area so used gear is plentiful and most times I can pick things up in person.

I think I might pass on this kit this time. I'm really looking for a one up two down setup and this is a standard two up one down setup.

Have to agree I think the best deals are on used cymbals though!

Thanks for talking me off a ledge.

I go to a local Music go round . They are in 11 states. Musicgoround .com. I have received some great deals through the years. There are two stores in my state of Wisconsin.

In the past I have traded or sold gear to them with some disappointment but they are in business to make money so I don't take it personal.

audioragegarden

Other than the Tama Stagestar toms, snare, and stands, SP drum throne (all originally gifts) and my Metalworks snare (not pictured), hi hats, drumheads and sticks, my entire kit was bought used. I'm a firm believer that frugality is not a sin, nor should it be a restriction.

Jhostetler

I'm always looking at garage estate sales. A local music shop was going out of business and I picked up a set of 14" Sabian Artisan hats for $115. I've also rescued a nice Mapex Mars-Pro snare and some Zildjian A Customs out of a neighbors chicken coup. Their kid used to play and stored them in there for about 5 years or so after he went to college. When all your money is going towards paying off student loans, you start to get desperate.

single-ply

Some of my stuff is new and some used. You can get some smokin' deals if you're in the right place at the right time.

I got a whole set of Paiste 2002's for 60.00 on CL 4 or 5 years ago and last year I got a (really filthy) set of champagne sparkle Super Classics for 300. I spent 500 on bags, some missing hardware, some re-done edges, and a lot of time cleaning, but they look like a brand new time capsule set now and sound phenomenal.

I find the never ending search fun.

calan

Silver Member
I've been the same way for years. For the most part, the only thing I buy new is hardware (and stuff like heads, sticks, felts... things that are consumable or a trivial expense anyway), and that's only because I can rarely find what I want used, or used at a price that can offset any shipping costs.

Outside of that, I've purchased three new items, all cymbals, and all for significantly less than normal market value. I look at all the same places everybody else does, and there's no real trick there as far as I'm concerned. I do have some searches saved on eBay that let me know when there's new stuff that match the criteria, and I have some similar stuff on my phone for craigslist; but I still troll both manually along with the other usual suspects.

There's so many aspects of hunting used gear that I like. Having better stuff than I could otherwise afford. Having better stuff than people who spent more. Having the same quality of equipment than people who spend significantly more. The option to try things I might not normally want or be very interested knowing that I can sell them at minimal loss or even a profit.

I kind of wonder if this is way for the the modern urban male to in some way experience a part of the primal thrill of the hunt.

Friedmett

The only new thing was a pair of 3 floor tom legs, one nos tom bracket, 9 tension rods for floor tom and of course all heads.

Since it was a Tama Granstar I could not get it new but even the rental years has not really made it ready for pension all though that's were I found it back in 2003.

I also got the hardware used except 4 stands which were the last Tama made and half price. They were the most expensive ones otherwise and top of the line.

It holds up great and sounds amazing!