Subdividing at the pump...

iwantmemoney

Hope all schlagzeugers are doing well and howdy.
So do you have it down to the zeros when you pump your gas - like you take the dollar marker, as you're pumping the gas, down into four or five or ten divisions so that when you get to $20 or whatever it is, you release the handle and you hit exactly 20? It's not just me who does this, correct?
(has this already been the topic of a thread? If so, my apologies)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I don't trust people who can leave their purchase at anything other than 2 zeros at the end. These people have no conscious or sense of completion. They border on psychopathic because who but the mentally disturbed can be OK with a gas purchase of 25.63?

Certainly not anyone I'd want to be associated with.

AudioWonderland

Silver Member
Hope all schlagzeugers are doing well and howdy.
So do you have it down to the zeros when you pump your gas - like you take the dollar marker, as you're pumping the gas, down into four or five or ten divisions so that when you get to $20 or whatever it is, you release the handle and you hit exactly 20? It's not just me who does this, correct?
(has this already been the topic of a thread? If so, my apologies)
Only in the rare instance I am paying cash which is where the practice started. If its on the card who cares?

iwantmemoney

That may be the precision electrician in you Ace, and who could blame you? I have a touch of that, but after going in front of and after zeros a couple times I'm like wonderland - screw it.

But no, what I'm getting at is counting... You know - counting, like a drummer - and getting it so tight that you can release the handle and it ends exactly at 0.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
But no, what I'm getting at is counting... You know - counting, like a drummer - and getting it so tight that you can release the handle and it ends exactly at 0.
Oh OK, I misunderstood. No, I never did that. Pumping gas is an ultra serious undertaking and I want all my attention on the flammable fuel flowing into my tank. :)

iwantmemoney

Hah!
Believe it or not, that almost never occurs to me(which tells you everything you need to know). When I was one of the beautiful people, still smoking, I didn't think twice about smoking at the pump. Umm....

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
I thought this thread was going to be about the clicking noise the pump makes as it pumps gas. I sub-divide that shit all the time.

I can't help it actually. Anything with steady or repeating rhythm and I have to play with it by tapping hands or even just counting and dividing in my head. Turn signal clicks, washing machines that are slightly unbalanced, water dripping, even my steps as I walk. I just love to count!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qThTKzBcEdE

iwantmemoney

The only thing you forgot was the random stuff like sounds from a fountain or a chugging city bus as it sits, or the symphony of it all, with traffic(or nature), birds, honking, whistle, machinery... stuff that doesn't have a meter...or does it?

badaboom

I thought this thread was going to be about the clicking noise the pump makes as it pumps gas. I sub-divide that shit all the time.
I do that on a long bridge downtown that has seams that thump the tires. I catch myself quartering and tapping the steering wheel in time. Sometimes the gearshift does double duty as a ride cymbal. Pun intended.
I try my best not to play the bass drum during these sessions.

As for the gas pump, be sure too look at the number of gallons pumped. Some folks try to hit THAT on zeroes instead of the dollar amount.

JacobDB

I do that on a long bridge downtown that has seams that thump the tires. I catch myself quartering and tapping the steering wheel in time. Sometimes the gearshift does double duty as a ride cymbal. Pun intended.
I try my best not to play the bass drum during these sessions.
I do the same thing, but I drive an automatic so I just try and play the bass drum with my left foot. It's really helped with my coordination, ha

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I use a debit card and always try to end on an odd number because this bit of me feels that it would be hard to copy the sale if I saw it on my statement more than once. Identity theft and all of that rot. My neighbors lawn sprinkler has a nice rhythm to it that I tapped to many times.

Last edited:

JustJames

Platinum Member
But if you were to go to $40.00, the gallons would no longer read 10.000.

Hence the problem for (not) OCD, y'see.

badaboom

I would just break the top display and walk away happy.

Actually I'd just think about it, smile, then walk away displeased.

iwantmemoney

I love all these answers so much it's exactly why I'm never here(I'd lose hours daily). But thanks...FUNNY☆☆☆
So the main thing I'm gathering is that drummers as a whole, have tendencies towards OCD - in any form, and most likely several other predispositions that eventually lead them to a life of pounding on things, with gyroscopes simultaneously going round & round in their brain.
We come from all lifestyles and careers, but the track that's always running in the background is related to counting, dividing, stacking perfectly. The faster the gas tank, the harder to hit on the zeros. Or you could set your cruise at 60 mph on a flat highway and make sure your speedometer is right, by counting 60 between the milemarkers.