Stupid things you have a hard time getting

Squirrel Man

Lately since I've been working on a lot of things including ones I always in the past just said "eh, I can't do that" and I'm getting them now, there are a couple things I'm finding harder than it seems.

And yeah, I just need to keep doing it over and over again but eighth notes on the hat, single hand, I feel like I'm having a seizure when I work on that. I use my wrists mostly like most strokes and I just need to keep banging it out but for some stupid reason I struggle with it.

C.M. Jones

Lately since I've been working on a lot of things including ones I always in the past just said "eh, I can't do that" and I'm getting them now, there are a couple things I'm finding harder than it seems.

And yeah, I just need to keep doing it over and over again but eighth notes on the hat, single hand, I feel like I'm having a seizure when I work on that. I use my wrists mostly like most strokes and I just need to keep banging it out but for some stupid reason I struggle with it.
If you feel as though you're "having a seizure," you're probably far too tense. Remain as relaxed as you can, maintain a loose grip on the stick, and take advantage of the enormous perks of natural rebound. Guiding the stick rather than forcing it is the formula for low-stress drumming. As your stick control improves, your degree of perceived exertion will decrease indicatively.

Squirrel Man

If you feel as though you're "having a seizure," you're probably far too tense. Remain as relaxed as you can, maintain a loose grip on the stick, and take advantage of the enormous perks of natural rebound. Guiding the stick rather than forcing it is the formula for low-stress drumming. As your stick control improves, your degree of perceived exertion will decrease indicatively.
Thanks, that's the advice that I appreciate and will focus on.

Yeah, I can be a little tense when working on something, it's what I'm trying to get away from, like being relaxed for better play but the tenseness is still part of my personality.

Don't bang them out mindlessly - You must unlearn what you have learned. Use the force! [force = mass * acceleration]
You can check out a bunch of good teachers on youtube (Bill Bachman, Gordy Knudtson, John Riley, Rick Dior...): Look for "Free Stroke" and later maybe "Push Pull" - be patient because this takes time. Also try to get a few lessons with a good teacher (online or in person) if you don't do so right now. It will save you a lot of time and prevent you from skipping over important parts. :)

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Stupid things are like easy money.
Lol money was gonna be my answer for stupid things I have a hard time getting!

@Squirrel Man, like Jose said, you gotta learn to use the bounce. The stick is more akin to a basketball than a hammer. It's not how fast you get it down, it's how well it comes back so you can get it down again. It comes back faster on it's own than if you try to return it with your wrist.

Squirrel Man

Lol money was gonna be my answer for stupid things I have a hard time getting!

@Squirrel Man, like Jose said, you gotta learn to use the bounce. The stick is more akin to a basketball than a hammer. It's not how fast you get it down, it's how well it comes back so you can get it down again. It comes back faster on it's own than if you try to return it with your wrist.
I can do a roll on hats but eighth note roll, going to play with that.

Squirrel Man

Don't bang them out mindlessly - You must unlearn what you have learned. Use the force! [force = mass * acceleration]
You can check out a bunch of good teachers on youtube (Bill Bachman, Gordy Knudtson, John Riley, Rick Dior...): Look for "Free Stroke" and later maybe "Push Pull" - be patient because this takes time. Also try to get a few lessons with a good teacher (online or in person) if you don't do so right now. It will save you a lot of time and prevent you from skipping over important parts. :)
So I'm catching up on things people are sending me, and thanks! I pay attention to this stuff and work it also.

So this tutorial, I'm sort of there. I don't death grip my sticks, I'm really looser than you might think, I generally hold them with two fingers mainly and let the butt hit my palm and try to work my wrists more than swinging my arms.

What I'm struggling with is a couple things. First, I'm trying to replicate the beat to Oasis Let it Out, might be a little quick for me at this point and I've been slowing it down like the vid that @cbphoto suggested. I can hold a note on the hat rise but keeping tempo I struggle with.

The other thing is hand/brain or foot/brain, always thought this stuff wasn't hand/eye but hand/brain - the rest of me has to catch up. Like my kick is saying "hey - what?".

Going to keep working it, I'll get it.

Squirrel Man

And I also don't get the "bounce" off the hats yet. Some folks suggested no push-pull and let it bounce. If that's the case I'm not bouncing them well. I can roll snare and toms and a little on the hats with both hands but getting an eighth bounce, not getting that at all.

I'm really not pushing/pulling also, trying to use my wrists more for those notes.

C.M. Jones

And I also don't get the "bounce" off the hats yet. Some folks suggested no push-pull and let it bounce. If that's the case I'm not bouncing them well. I can roll snare and toms and a little on the hats with both hands but getting an eighth bounce, not getting that at all.

I'm really not pushing/pulling also, trying to use my wrists more for those notes.
The tighter your hi-hat is closed, and the closer you play to its center, the more bounce you'll achieve. Also, make sure you're using the tips of your sticks when striving for rebound on your hi-hat. Laying into it with the shoulder of the stick will generate no bounce at all. Clean drumming means easy drumming.

Squirrel Man

The tighter your hi-hat is closed, and the closer you play to its center, the more bounce you'll achieve. Also, make sure you're using the tips of your sticks when striving for rebound on your hi-hat. Laying into it with the shoulder of the stick will generate no bounce at all. Clean drumming means easy drumming.
ok those mechanics I get and I have for a while been working on hitting the hats higher with the tip rather than with the shoulder like you said. With this exercise at least and overall.

I'll get it, it seems like it's one of those things I have to bang out over time.

Thanks!

C.M. Jones

ok those mechanics I get and I have for a while been working on hitting the hats higher with the tip rather than with the shoulder like you said. With this exercise at least and overall.

I'll get it, it seems like it's one of those things I have to bang out over time.

Thanks!
Be patient, man. Every surface has a different feel. The rebound you'll get from a tight snare head isn't quite the same as that you'll find on a hi-hat. In time, you'll learn to make subtle, unconscious adjustments that allow you to roll all over your kit. Just relax and enjoy practicing.

acsunda

I’ve been playing drums for around 19 years, and I am an adequate drummer. Except after 19 years, I cannot play a shuffle. Like you would hear on the Beach Boys’ “Help Me, Rhonda”. I can play pretty much anything else. I’ve tried and tried and I’ve tried, but there seems to be something in my brain blocking me from being able to do it. My right hand on the hats always gets confused with my right foot on the kick.

single-ply

Bring your stick (arm motion) down on the quarter notes. Let the stick bounce once as you're bringing your arm back up for the next quarter note. This is the most basic description of the Moeller technique. Relaxation is key. There are other variations taught by Alan Abel, etc. A great book is 'Accents and Rebounds, especially page 10.