Stupid things people have said or asked you about playing drums while gigging

I'd just give him one of these:

1ftpsd.jpg

Along with the old "Sure thing, mate".

We had some woman who was a stage beyond sh*tfaced who asked us if one of us would take her to the toilet.

.......yeah, nah!

The good thing for us drummers is we're usually at the back of the stage so they have to get through sings and strings to get near us.

I had a similar experience where we were playing on a 6-foot riser with a hanging trellis over it. A girl who had obviously been overserved at the bar climbed all the way up the trellis (fair play, I wouldn't have tried it) and shouted (over the mellow tones of a country song) "here! play some oasis nowwwww!!!" to which we obliged by playing wonderwall (or whatever), she then got down but within 20-30 seconds of us starting this she climbed all the way back up and screamed "NOOO, NOT THAT F***IN ONE!!!"...

I've just thought of another one...

At a more recent gig (with my now ex band btw) the drummer for the headline act who kindly let me use his kit asked "can I use your snare, mine sounds like shit"? To which I replied "well sorry mate I've just got it and don't really like people using my snare". He was quite offended at this so announced that I wasn't allowed to use his kit at all. I said fine, I'll just sit at the bar and get drunk. After intense negotiations my band basically threatened to sack me if I didn't let him use my snare, kick pedal throne sticks and moon gel (apparently as a "peace offering"). So I acquiesced and let him use it, snare came off stage horribly detuned, snare wires choked to death and blood and sweat on the drum head (they were a punk band). Anyway, lesson learned lol

I've just thought of another one...

At a more recent gig (with my now ex band btw) the drummer for the headline act who kindly let me use his kit asked "can I use your snare, mine sounds like shit"? To which I replied "well sorry mate I've just got it and don't really like people using my snare". He was quite offended at this so announced that I wasn't allowed to use his kit at all. I said fine, I'll just sit at the bar and get drunk. After intense negotiations my band basically threatened to sack me if I didn't let him use my snare, kick pedal throne sticks and moon gel (apparently as a "peace offering"). So I acquiesced and let him use it, snare came off stage horribly detuned, snare wires choked to death and blood and sweat on the drum head (they were a punk band). Anyway, lesson learned lol

heh. Heh. I think I’d have a panic attack. LOL I’m so glad I mostly just play at church.

I had a similar experience where we were playing on a 6-foot riser with a hanging trellis over it. A girl who had obviously been overserved at the bar climbed all the way up the trellis (fair play, I wouldn't have tried it) and shouted (over the mellow tones of a country song) "here! play some oasis nowwwww!!!" to which we obliged by playing wonderwall (or whatever), she then got down but within 20-30 seconds of us starting this she climbed all the way back up and screamed "NOOO, NOT THAT F***IN ONE!!!"...

I see karma solving that problem fairly quickly and a blue light taxi being ordered.

Drink serves to make idiots bigger idiots, as you can tell I'm enjoying my post xmas run break!

In HS the Jazz Band toured local grade schools. I was playing a blue Yamaha. A kindergartner asked if the drum set was blue.

- many times as we are tearing down after a gig, drunk guy (who has been there all night) comes up and says "when do you all go on?"

- the worst, again usually from drunk guy: "dude, can I play a few songs?"

- "do you like playing the drums?" as I am playing my drums

- "why would you want to carry all of that stuff?"

- "do you play drums b/c you can't play guitar?"

Had an older guy ask to come up on stage while we were setting up so he could "show me some things". When I told him no, he got really belligerent and told me about how he was making money on the drums before I was in diapers.
Then he opened his wallet to show all the cash he had & he said, "See that? ALL from making music!!"

I said, "Well, I guess you'll be tipping us youngsters pretty well tonight then huh?"
He just walked off giving me the finger.

I never saw him again after that and this place was his regular watering hole.

Had an older guy ask to come up on stage while we were setting up so he could "show me some things". When I told him no, he got really belligerent...

An old dog should just know better. I mean, if I see some young kid trying to set up and struggling, I'd kindly ask if he/she is ok. If they said that they were fine, I'd let him/her know I've been playing a long time and if help was needed, I'd be "right over there." That's about as much as I'd butt in. That dude's a moron.

Had an older guy ask to come up on stage while we were setting up so he could "show me some things". When I told him no, he got really belligerent and told me about how he was making money on the drums before I was in diapers.
Then he opened his wallet to show all the cash he had & he said, "See that? ALL from making music!!"

I said, "Well, I guess you'll be tipping us youngsters pretty well tonight then huh?"
He just walked off giving me the finger.

I never saw him again after that and this place was his regular watering hole.

yeah..it is funny how some people have no boundaries...this happens at many of my dive bar shows as well. Both when I am on drums or bass. I make a mental note to never be that guy as I get older when I am at shows. I will help people load stuff in from the parking lot if they agree, but once they are on stage, that is their space, not mine.

Back