Stupid things people have said or asked you about playing drums while gigging

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
A few months ago, I was playing a gig at a local tavern, and this drunk guy in his late 20’s came up to me and said, “Hey man, I play drums too! I’d like to challenge you to a beat off!!!” :oops: I told him,“No thanks. I’m good.”

What are some funny things you been asked or told about playing drums while at a gig?

mikyok

Platinum Member
We had some woman who was a stage beyond sh*tfaced who asked us if one of us would take her to the toilet.

.......yeah, nah!

The good thing for us drummers is we're usually at the back of the stage so they have to get through sings and strings to get near us.

roncadillac

"Why is your bass drum so small?"
"Why do you have only 1 tom?"
"Why do you have only 1-2 cymbals?"

One time I specifically de-tuned a snare to make it low and fat and the sound guy says, "um... Do you really want your snare to sound like THAT?"

While I was playing my Tama cocktail jam (with inverted kick) the sound guy said, "um, how do I even mic that thing?" To which I responded, "like a drum" :D

The Modernist

"What sort of music do you play?"

"It's all Motown and soul stuff mate."

"Will you play some George Michael?"

"No mate, it's all Motown and Stax."

"Yeah, but you're all musicians, you should be able to play anything".

"Like I said mate, Motown and soul."

"Fair enough - will you play some Meatloaf then?"

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
Playing a gig with my punk band last weekend. A dude obviously recognized me from my metal band. Begged me to play blast beats for half my set.

I'll think of a few, I've had some funny stuff asked at many gigs. Although you may have won already.

Not much fortunately aside from "Hey, please play something like deradadazzzbladangobadap" or whatever hip fill they were hearing in their head.

Drummers are lucky by the way. Deejaying is far worse, especially if you do weddings as a favor for friends. Then you'll get zero to little pay AND stupid requests that you have to deal with because you're friends with the couple. Some of my favorite moments:
- after a messy mix of two songs: please hang yourself before we do it
- Can you play that new Lil Wayne song? - Sorry, I don't have it. - But it's been out for two days already. Please just download it. - I neither have internet here nor the time, sorry. - Well, pretty stupid to be a DJ without internet, ain't it!?
- at a wedding, a girl asked me four times to play 'Quit Playing Games' which I didn't have. There was also no Wifi in that room. I told her so but she always said things like "I'm sure you'll find a way to play it nonetheless". So eventually I took a solid minute to ask her if she expects me to go outside, record a cover of the whole song and then play that version. I even offered her a line cable to connect her cell phone in case she had it. While she still didn't understand the technical complexity of playing a song you don't have, she at least broke down in tears and didn't bother me anymore.

incrementalg

Gold Member
"What sort of music do you play?"

"It's all Motown and soul stuff mate."

"Will you play some George Michael?"

"No mate, it's all Motown and Stax."

"Like I said mate, Motown and soul."

"Fair enough - will you play some Meatloaf then?"
I would do anything, but I won’t do that.

Old Dog new Cans

Not much fortunately aside from "Hey, please play something like deradadazzzbladangobadap" or whatever hip fill they were hearing in their head.

Drummers are lucky by the way. Deejaying is far worse, especially if you do weddings as a favor for friends. Then you'll get zero to little pay AND stupid requests that you have to deal with because you're friends with the couple. Some of my favorite moments:
- after a messy mix of two songs: please hang yourself before we do it
- Can you play that new Lil Wayne song? - Sorry, I don't have it. - But it's been out for two days already. Please just download it. - I neither have internet here nor the time, sorry. - Well, pretty stupid to be a DJ without internet, ain't it!?
- at a wedding, a girl asked me four times to play 'Quit Playing Games' which I didn't have. There was also no Wifi in that room. I told her so but she always said things like "I'm sure you'll find a way to play it nonetheless". So eventually I took a solid minute to ask her if she expects me to go outside, record a cover of the whole song and then play that version. I even offered her a line cable to connect her cell phone in case she had it. While she still didn't understand the technical complexity of playing a song you don't have, she at least broke down in tears and didn't bother me anymore.
Yes, the same for me. After DJ'ing for nearly 25 years, I heard SO many stupid comments.

It wasn't really a stupid thing that sticks in my memory. . . .I dealt with some interesting characters while DJ'ing in a strip club in Indy. It was a Tuesday night, an older guy (who also happened to be the leader of a local biker gang), came up and said "Hey, it's my birthday. Will you play me some Seger?" And, as he's talking, he dumps out cocaine on my DJ counter. . . . . . . . :oops: o_O Uhhh, sure. . . I will play you some Seger. I saw more crazy crap in this club than anywhere. The second week I was there (working as a bounce), I dealt with a 400lb man who was carrying a .357. He decided to get pissed and start waving the gun around. Holy crap.

I know, this isn't drumming. . .interesting though~!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Had a sound guy ask me once if I use the left or right kick more. I told him I used both pretty equally. He wanted me to chose because he only had 1 kick drum mic. It ended up being placed between the two drums.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Yes, the same for me. After DJ'ing for nearly 25 years, I heard SO many stupid comments.

It wasn't really a stupid thing that sticks in my memory. . . .I dealt with some interesting characters while DJ'ing in a strip club in Indy. It was a Tuesday night, an older guy (who also happened to be the leader of a local biker gang), came up and said "Hey, it's my birthday. Will you play me some Seger?" And, as he's talking, he dumps out cocaine on my DJ counter. . . . . . . . :oops: o_O Uhhh, sure. . . I will play you some Seger. I saw more crazy crap in this club than anywhere. The second week I was there (working as a bounce), I dealt with a 400lb man who was carrying a .357. He decided to get pissed and start waving the gun around. Holy crap.

I know, this isn't drumming. . .interesting though~!
People are crazy I've had three incidents where people stuck a pistol in my face. Why would a 400 lb man feel the need to carry a .357 magnum is beyond reason? Most homicides are from people who know each other-so some issue arises one gets mad at another and happens to be carrying-now sitting in prison because of a moments anger. Nothing against guns I've got a bunch of them (pistols, shotguns, and rifles) but the reason I'll never carry a pistol in public places (cause I got a short fuse and I know all those sitting in prison thought they would never do such a thing too). One grandfather and all his sons-my uncles- carried a pistol in their pocket till they day they died. They didn't mind pulling it out to place on a table in public places or pulling it on someone-including one Uncle on me. Hey that's four times I forgot about him-arguing over Vietnam war. I see what side of the family I got my anger management issues-jeez.

Old Dog new Cans

People are crazy I've had three incidents where people stuck a pistol in my face. Why would a 400 lb man feel the need to carry a .357 magnum is beyond reason? Most homicides are from people who know each other-so some issue arises one gets mad at another and happens to be carrying-now sitting in prison because of a moments anger. Nothing against guns I've got a bunch of them (pistols, shotguns, and rifles) but the reason I'll never carry a pistol in public places (cause I got a short fuse and I know all those sitting in prison thought they would never do such a thing too). One grandfather and all his sons-my uncles- carried a pistol in their pocket till they day they died. They didn't mind pulling it out to place on a table in public places or pulling it on someone-including one Uncle on me. Hey that's four times I forgot about him-arguing over Vietnam war. I see what side of the family I got my anger management issues-jeez.
I'm also a gun owner. Haven't carried in almost 20 years for the exact reason you claim. Yeah I mean, 400lbs! And a gun. Lol

Never had a gun in my face thankfully. That's some scary stuff right there.

Channing

Once I was playing a 3 hour gig with my band and during a break some guy I didn't know came up to me and asked if he could sit in on drums. I was like, I really doubt that you know our songs. Especially the originals. What a bizarre request.

Lee-Bro

After sound check I was heading to change for the gig and the sound guy asked me if I left a drum key on the kit in case he needed to tune anything. Not to toot my own horn, but I can tune a kit and the death stare I gave him made him say, "we'll probably be ok."

Yes, yes WE will.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I played in one band in which the band leader lived by this motto! He had a huge repertoire and took every request as a challenge. He knew everything but hardcore jazz, and when we got a request, he'd count it off and here we go! I had a blast playing songs I'd never heard of!

GeeDeeEmm

Captain Bash

Silver Member
Once I had the displeasure of having a promoters crazy wife ask me at sound check that I replace my carefilly crafted rhythms with her beats (She then spits, grunts chatters /beat boxing)..........she was totally serious about her talent, me not so much. I told her it would take me a few days to work out how to play her grooves on the kit.....phew what a nutter.

Ive had a number of drummers ask if they can sit in on an originals gig. Err no you don’t know the tunes, I’ve put a lot of effort into getting a great band together, writing then rehearsing and organising with the venue and now we have an audience and the hard work is about to pay off you think you deserve the fun.....NO get your own gig Or at the very least pitch in, do some work.

Support act drummer turns up really late and the drummer spays - “I’ve got no sticks and I busted my snare can I use yours “.......Nope

Also had a support act drummer come up i to me and state/ask ”we really like to put on a good show and part of our show means we kinda have fun with the drums ... your not going to be precious about the kit are you (points to my Noonan Stave kit with Brady and Ayotte Keplinger snare). My response ” what do you mean by....”have fun” his response you know kind of jumping on it and some glitter bombs and fake blood, My response ”No get your own kit for that”.