stuff I am learning

uniongoon

Gold Member
Just a short video of me goofing in my little room. I have been at this one technique about a year and am almost to the point I can actually use it, way harder than it looks (to me it is anyhow). It is a thing Alan Dawson taught to Steve Smith. Vito Rezza showed it to me. It is at the base a single stroke roll while placing a kick drum note in between each hand stroke. At 42 second mark I mix the sticking up a little. L LF R RF R LF L RF R LF R RF triplet pattern with Left hand leading on snare. Decieving too because the foot combination switches against the hand, first time left foot follows left hand and second triplet the right foot follows the left hand, and back. Then moving it around kit in singles and doubles. The lick feels great when it is flowing, but it has taken me a long time to get even this comfortable, and at that it is still in it's infancy.
I think Danny carey uses this in the Tool song Anema (spelling lol). The video girl Meytal Cohen does a cover of it and absolutely basterdizes it, like not even remotely close.
I also have been trying to learn to play a double stroke roll. I am still stiff, and watching the video, I think I need more motion, especially with the left hand. I think I am doing a pump/push pull but it is not as animated as I think it is looking back.

Anyhow, video is short, any advice is always welcome.

longgun

Gold Member
Anyhow, video is short, any advice is always welcome.

Couldn't get to the video here at work...........just a quick question.........from your pic, it looks like the hats are huge.............is it just a perspective thing or are you playing large hats?

uniongoon

Gold Member
I will do. This is not how I practicing, jumping all over the place. I stick to one thing, slow and meticulous making sure I am not rushing, being sloppy etc. And pulling this off in a song is harder, you don't get multiPle kicks at the can. Longun, they are 14 K's. Snare is Elm stave I built and the extra snare is canarywood with single flange hoops.