Studying the Pros

Decided recently that I would study a few of my favourite drummers. But how exactly do i go about 'studying' them. Has anyone else studied other drummers? Just looking for a few tips and ideas on how to go about it and what to do.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Simply listen. Note what they do and when they do it. Note what they don't do. Note their dynamics. Really, just listen.

Bermuda

brady

Platinum Member
Simply listen. Note what they do and when they do it. Note what they don't do. Note their dynamics. Really, just listen.

Bermuda
This! ^

I just did exactly this when I saw Clayton Cameron (another Ludwig guy...) last month playing with Molly RIngwald (Yeah, THAT Molly Ringwald.)

I sat about 3 feet from his kit and studied what he did; why and when. And probably more importantly, what he didn't do.

By the way, an extremely gracious gentleman. We talked for a while after both sets and he was very helpful with some questions I had about his book. This is also something to be studied by watching the pros too. I know others have their horror stories, but the pro drummers I have met were always very professional and gracious, and didn't mind answering questions; just "nerding out" talking about drums and drummers.