studio recording of Beach Boys "Wouldn't It Be Nice"

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
The first video is Brian Wilson's genius direction of the recording of the music, then the vocals, while the second video isolates just the vocals. Amazing stuff in these videos. Hal Blaine on drums and Frankie clapp on percussion.

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/129501

The Beach Boys recorded “Wouldn’t It Be Nice” as the opening track on their landmark album “Pet Sounds.” It’s my favorite Beach Boys song, but I never knew how insanely complex Brian Wilson’s arrangement was: the recording includes two accordionists, two drummers, three bassists, three guitarists, four horn players, two pianists, and at least four singers. The main riff of the song is formed by the twin accordions (working together with a lovely walking bassline), though I would’ve been hard-pressed to tell you there was any accordion on that track until I watched the video below explaining how the song came together. What’s most intense: those twenty musicians’ parts were originally mixed down to a mono master. One track of audio to rule them all.

rdb

That was awesome! Thanks for posting. Fun to get a glimpse inside a recording studio especially one with such amazing musicians creating a landmark work. I've read a book about the Wrecking Crew (hoping for a local screening of the movie) and Blaine's autobiography, but words can't really capture those scenes. Thanks again,

P

plangentmusic

I'm not the biggest Beach Boys fan but there's no denying Brian was having a surge of artistic expression at that time that was unparalleled.

For that reason I decided to re-create "God Only Knows" and it was pretty damn daunting. Odd figures, horn harmonies, 4 percussion parts and 8 tracks just for vocals. It gave me a better understanding of Wilson's vision and the insight behind it.

For anyone who's interested, this is how it turned out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaZqrE3j2L8

P

plangentmusic

I think if you took all the best BB stuff it'd make one great album. lol Half of Pet Sounds along with Good Vibrations, In My Room, Help Me Rhonda and....I don't know, one or two others. After Brian Wilson lost his mind, that was that.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
I love the Beach Boys,especially the later stuff.Take a listen to Pet Sounds,and the "Smile" album,and in my opinion...the "Surfs Up" album.Magnificent melodys,arangements,harmonys.That album has it all.

I know I said this before,but when you listen to more 60's,and 70's music,you realize that 10 of your favorite drummers/drum parts are.........Hal Blaine.

Steve B