Student responsibilites or guidelines

anson89

If anyone mind sending me a sample or copy of their student/parental guidelines that'll be great! For e.g

1) Payments must be made in full the first week of each month. A late fee will be charged on the 15th of each month.

2) etc etc etc

And so on...

I'm really sick of students telling me 30 minutes before lesson time and canceling them.

Thank you!

Dave_Major

Silver Member
Hey mate, think the best thing to do is implement a cancellation policy and stick to it.

Mine is they must cancel 2 days in advance other wise I have to charge them. It is a verbal thing as opposed to a written thing but you could just type somewthing up yourself.

You could also (if you don't already) have them pay a month in advance for the lessons. This option would add a bit of security to an unsecure profession.

Dave

ahector

A friend of mine teaches guitar lessons and had the same issue.

He did exactly what Dave_Major is suggesting and has been happier ever since. I believe he now requires his students to pay at the beginning of the month and doesn't give refunds once they've paid.

That way if someone cancels on you, you get a paid day off!

Monica McCoy

My teacher makes students keep one lesson "on account." So if they don't cancel with a 24 hour notice, he keeps it.

We signed a contract when we started but it was hand written and was only like 3 or 4 line items. It was like pay me on time, don't break anything, and do your homework. Something to that effect.

dale w miller

Silver Member
If anyone mind sending me a sample or copy of their student/parental guidelines that'll be great! For e.g

1) Payments must be made in full the first week of each month. A late fee will be charged on the 15th of each month.

2) etc etc etc

And so on...

I'm really sick of students telling me 30 minutes before lesson time and canceling them.

Thank you!
You can have all the guidelines you want, the bottom line is can you live up to them?

Here is my policy for my swim school:

Registration & Information

Our rolling admissions policy allows students to sign up at any time during the year. The cost is pro-rated, based on the number of classes remaining after the start time of the current trimester, so you pay for only what classes are left! (usually between 4-12 classes)

When you call our office we will ask you to describe your student's skill level. The student will be placed according to your description and in a time slot that is convenient for you.

Pre-registration is recommended to secure the student's time slot in the schedule. Registration requires the cost of one class charged to your credit card over the phone or check mailed to our office. Full payment is due on the first day of class.

Make-Ups: We understand that absences can be spontaneous due to illness or conflicting plans. In that case we will make every effort to reschedule you a make-up as soon as possible. Due to the complexity of scheduling and pool availability, students may have to do a makeup on another day, or location, in order to take advantage of this policy. Make-up classes are limited to one per trimester of 8 classes or more. The make-up class must be completed before the end of the trimester for which you are registered. Please remember your time-slot is reserved for you and is carefully matched, so it is in the student's best interest to attend all classes. Please note there are no make-ups given for the Baby & Me class.

Cancellations/Refunds: If after the first class only, you decide to discontinue instruction and notify us within 72 hours, you will be refunded the full amount less the cost of the first lesson. If you discontinue at any other time, the money will be held in an account for your use within a year.

That said, if someone calls me up and let's me know they are going to be absent ahead of time or in general I have an additional spot to give a MU, I will give it to them. It's called good customer service. All my rules are for is to PROTECT me. There are plenty of other places these people can get lessons from or perhaps not have lessons at all. You need to work with them.

I know your time is valuable and if people are exploiting it, you know who to bend the rules for and who not. I just know that when you work with people, they are most likely willing to stick around and be your student.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
My teacher makes students keep one lesson "on account." So if they don't cancel with a 24 hour notice, he keeps it.
Yeah, that's what I'm trying out this year. I got the idea from my friend who teaches piano. She makes her students pay for their next lesson in advance. If they cancel within a certain amount of time, they owe for the lesson (because she's holding the time slot for them, after all...)

I've been burned many times by students calling up, like, 15 minutes before their lesson and saying, "Uh, I can't make it because I've got homework" or some sorry excuse like that. That's totally not cool. Also, sometimes if a student misses a lesson, they feel embarrassed and won't return your call because they feel like they let you down and don't want to face you (I've had talks with students who did this), so they just stop taking lessons altogether. Having some sort of paying in advance policy, and a clear cancellation policy will help protect you from getting walked on. It's your livelihood we're talking about. Don't let others screw over your finances just because, to them, it's "only lessons".