Struggling with the floor tom

Hewitt2

I think that a lot of players feel that way.

Tuning is a bit of an art and nobody wants to take the art out of it. Really, all it does it take the guesswork away. There's still plenty of room for self-expression in the amount of resonance you want, intervals between heads and individual drums etc.

And yes, finding that 13" was a good thing. You're probably going to need the ball clamp with the long hex rod for that drum but they're not hard to find. You could always put in on a snare stand for a one-up-one-down configuration along with the 16" floor tom (y)
I think the best use of the Tune-Bot is tuning by ear to the best of your ability, then fine tuning the remaining 5-10% with the Tune-Bot. Using a Tune-Bot for the entire tuning process can be exhausting and self-defeating, especially when tuning to upper ranges like for snare side reso for example.... So there is room for the art (ears) and science (Tune-bot) of tuning! :)

harryconway

Platinum Member
None the less, who cares how you do it, long as your way works for you.
True that ..... as long as you get an end result that works for you. Tune Bot was invented in 2012. Tension watches have been around longer. But I started playing around 1965 .... and none of that stuff was around. And still, somehow, managed.

bud7h4

Silver Member
I’ve been working with my g2’s and i think I’m actually happy with them for now. If you compare the first vid to now it’s a lot better for all the toms. I had detuned the 10” slightly before, which i turned back up slightly (1/4 turn). The 12” has never been right, but close. Now i think it’s closer to right. Even the 16” isn’t making me cringe anymore. They all are still off, but I’m finally in the ballpark.

Each tom sounds nicely tuned. But wow, they are tuned so closely together.

One1

I got my stand in the mail. Works perfectly. Not muffled or any tone changes so I’m happy, plus the adjustable height is great. This was a $20 shipped special on ebay so now that I know it’ll be what I want I’ll find a 700 series like the rest of my kit. It’s actually adjustable and reasonably solid for $20 shipped.

Attachments

yammyfan

I got my stand in the mail. Works perfectly. Not muffled or any tone changes so I’m happy, plus the adjustable height is great. This was a $20 shipped special on ebay so now that I know it’ll be what I want I’ll find a 700 series like the rest of my kit. It’s actually adjustable and reasonably solid for $20 shipped.
Cool! You'll have a spare stand available afterwards. Never a bad thing.

The kit looks fun to play!