"Strength of Strings" time signature, help please?

arclight

Hi
I have a bit of a project underway and one of the songs l want included is "Strength of Strings" by Gene Clarke. It has a really long intro before going into the verse at 4/4. I'm counting the whole song as 4/4. l think l'm getting obsessed by fills crossing the bar and it's playing with my head lol. Can anyone tell me if this is the correct time signature or not? I can't find any information anywhere. Appreciate any assistance with this.

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..I'm counting the whole song as 4/4..

Yes, everything is like that..

Except the part between 4.05 and 4.11, because the time seems to be kinda gone there..

I mean the part with a few bars rest followed by the drum fill that leads into the guitar solo..

Perfect example of a 'pre-grid' recording i would say..😄

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
Actually, on second listen those 2 bars before the guitar solo also stay normal in 4/4, but they just have the tempo a little more laid back there..

Lets say, if the tempo is somewhere around quarter note 65 bpm and you count as 1-and-2-and-3-and-4-and (with 1-2-3-4 being the quarter note) and you keep counting like that during those 2 bars before the guitar solo, the triplet from that drum fill starts in the second bar on 3..

Hope that makes sense..

arclight

Yes it makes sense. The song certainly presents some challenges time wise (for me anyway) and there is some fluidity in there. Got to keep practicing it. That's for sure.