Danny Seraphine

Big early influence. One of the first, actually. But I have a story! At an outdoor drum show in L.A., I can't recall what it was or where, only that it was out of doors, I noticed him standing with a circle of guys talking and getting autographs. So I walk over and wait until I can get a word in. And when I could, I asked him what album they were at. And he didn't seem to understand, so I repeated myself clumsily, like "what number album are you guys at now?" and he says "18" and I said something very close to "wow, that many! I have the first three ..." and before I could tell him what a big influence he was he gave me the stink eye and turned to someone else. I was mortified.

That is very unfortunate! I never had much contact with him while he was still with Chicago, even though I attended every concert they had relatively close to me from as far back as 1972 (While he was in the band). I have had many interactions with him for the last 15 years or so. Every time, he could not have been nicer, more assessable, appreciative and humble! Other than possibly my dad, certainly my biggest influence and favorite drummer!

Chicago went from being a vibrant, contemporary band with fine instrumentals into a lounge lizard ghost band. In my opinion, the loss of Terry Kath was the main factor in losing their mojo. Seemed to turn into the Peter Cetera band soon after. That Harry Truman song to me was the death of Chicago! Danny getting axed to me was a nail in the coffin.

I watched the documentary a couple of years ago on CNN, and was surprised that they discussed the departure of DS at some length. One band member in particular was pretty outspoken on the subject if I recall, and to me at least, it showed a real lack of class. To my mind the loss of Kath and Seraphine were devastating. Cetera not so much, IMO.
It was nauseating to see Danny concur with their unwarranted attacks on his drumming. The guy is a monster!

Once Kath slipped off the Earth and the advent of the Cetera reign took over the band turned to ? poop.

Reactions: TJK
Danny's a great drummer. It broke my heart how Chicago 86d him because of that producer who wanted him nailed to the click. And they continued to trash Danny in their documentary. Too good for the new robotics is how I see Danny.
I saw him with Chicago at Indiana University right after they'd released "Chicago", 1970ish? As a drummer, I was awed. The entire group was fantastic. They were all amazingly talented but without him, Chicago could never be the same.

It was nauseating to see Danny concur with their unwarranted attacks on his drumming. The guy is a monster!
Yes, that documentary made me sick on the Danny thing. Was it the trumpet player who kept ragging about it? Why did they leave in that cruel, unwarranted assessment? And that producer made me wretch. Posing with all his empty-ass grammys, laughing about using Porcaro while Danny was gone. He allowed no HORNS on that record, either. The new drummer sounds like every other competent commercial drummer, like you'll see in Vegas.

Yes, that documentary made me sick on the Danny thing. Was it the trumpet player who kept ragging about it? Why did they leave in that cruel, unwarranted assessment? And that producer made me wretch. Posing with all his empty-ass grammys, laughing about using Porcaro while Danny was gone. He allowed no HORNS on that record, either. The new drummer sounds like every other competent commercial drummer, like you'll see in Vegas.
Yeah a real pile of shit that foster is; and f his dishrag whore wife too!

It was so cruel in that it nearly killed Danny. He lost his gig. Chicago went all Peter Cetera cotton candy. It was all about the click. The click sucks. It took the breath out of the groove. Makes everyone sounds the same.

May I ask someone what is this Chicago documentary that everyone's referring to please?
Now More Than Ever: The History of Chicago (2016), dir. by Peter Curtis Pardini.
The director is either the son or nephew, I'm not sure which, of Lou Pardini, who took over playing keys for Chicago when Bill Champlin left the band in 2009. The film was shown on CNN in the US on January 1, 2017.

Now More Than Ever: The History of Chicago (2016), dir. by Peter Curtis Pardini.
The director is either the son or nephew, I'm not sure which, of Lou Pardini, who took over playing keys for Chicago when Bill Champlin left the band in 2009. The film was shown on CNN in the US on January 1, 2017.

Thank you.

I dunno if the Aussie Netflix will have it, but I'll have a peek.

I read it, enjoyed it. It's good reading for any Chicago fan. Lots of ups; lots of downs. Danny, comes across as a fairly insecure guy. Quick to anger, prone to paranoia, and sometimes violent. He grew up in a tough neighborhood, which set him apart from his fellow bandmembers who were suburbanites. Though I had a lot of sadness at Danny's firing, I can almost understand why it was done. He rode the band with a heavy hand. He insisted on the firing of a road manager. And he beganl to have timeing problems.

I read it, enjoyed it. It's good reading for any Chicago fan. Lots of ups; lots of downs. Danny, comes across as a fairly insecure guy. Quick to anger, prone to paranoia, and sometimes violent. He grew up in a tough neighborhood, which set him apart from his fellow bandmembers who were suburbanites. Though I had a lot of sadness at Danny's firing, I can almost understand why it was done. He rode the band with a heavy hand. He insisted on the firing of a road manager. And he beganl to have timeing problems.
Three sides to every story.......I have heard/read all this. Danny has admitted he was not innocent in all this but.....neither were the rest of them! I heard multiple live tapes from his last year with the band; didn't notice timing issues that would warrant a firing. He is 71 now and still plays incredibly well. I have seen him in person numerous times over the last 14 years and have seen no sign of any timing issues.

Last edited:
Back