Street Drummer: Stay in School; Dumb Won't Impress Anyone

Scott K Fish

Silver Member
Faces of Capitol Hill | Joe the street drummer
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 2:01 pm by Tim Durkan

dsc_5968-edit-600x401.jpg

“Do what you have to do to stay off or get off the streets, really. Stay in school and get a job because being dumb won’t impress me or anyone else. If it’s a good musician you want to become then just do it. Nobody starts off being great. You got to have the passion and drive and be willing to practice 10 hours every day. If your’e not any good after 6 months, it might be time to try something else. That’s what it took for me.”

“I wish that I had found art and music earlier in my life, that I had started drumming sooner,” Joe said. “I’d like this passion of mine to help get me off the streets and into my own (music) studio where I could record and help others do the same. Drumming supports me right now and helps my child — maybe not a lot but even being able to afford a pair of shoes for her is a good thing. Music is my reason to get up every morning and I enjoy doing it — entertaining people. It gives be a sense of pride even though I’m on the streets — it’s my everything.”

Full Story

Scott K Fish Blog: Life Beyond the Cymbals

Joe the street drummer said nothing about college. I assumed he was talking about high school. He could even be talking about the school of hard knocks. The salient point, IMO, is "dumb impresses no one."

Best,
Scott K Fish

Back