Stradivarius drums?? And other vintage gear..

BeyondClarity

I picked up some drum gear today. If anyone could give light to some of the gear that would be great!

Premier snare. Has "deluxe model" on the snare side hoop. I found another thread pointing towards the 1920's?

05.JPG

06.JPG

Various toms

07.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

1960s 20" Avedis Zildjian Ride. 1836g

11.JPG

15" Hihats. Not sure about these.

12.JPG

Last edited:
The Premier snare does look 1920's or 30's. Very nice find.

The rest of the drums all look to be generic low end Japanese made drums that were imported under a long list of different names through out the 50's and 60's and 70's.

http://www.vintagedrummuseum.com/Japan/
From the Pearl website: "Pearl started building drums in 1950 and in 1961 built a 15,000 sq. foot factory in Chiba, Japan to fill the worldwide demand for drum sets spurred by the popularity of Rock and Roll. These sets were inexpensive and bore the brand name of the distributor; such as Maxwin, CB-700, Crest, Revelle, Revere, Lyra, Majestic, Whitehall, Apollo, Toreador, Roxy, Coronet, and others...over 30 brands in all." Tama, known as Star and Hoshino back then, also followed suit. These drum sets were sold by the American department stores like Sears and Montgomery Ward and music distributors like St. Louis Music and C Bruno and Sons who imported them as "stencil sets", thus many of the models were sold under many different names or badges;

I don't know where you are,but that Bass and snare doesn't look japanese to me,it has slotted tension rods,and double flange hoops,which I don't recall seeing on M.I.J drums,The Asians did make a lot of different lug styles some very art decco looking,but over at vintage drum forum I have seen a lot of European and Australian drums I never new existed.Besides the other snare,the rest of the drums are japanese stencils

Thanks for the link DrumEatDrum.

The snare throw-off is quite complex. There's a horizontal rod inside the shell that moves up and down with the snare wires. Not sure if this is a clue? The snare also came with John Grey snare wires, and the inside of the shells were painted grey.

Last edited:
I am intrigued by those,I once would have thought with the snare mech those would be non asian,but have since seen m.i.j. with that style,but the key to those may be in the snare mech and the tuning rods,the thickness and threading of those rods could be standard,metric,or what sonor uses,because of the paint on the inside,you can't see what wood you have.If you want to pursue this further,the next place I would recommend would be http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/index.php, they have the most knowledge about asian,european,and australian drums that I have ever seen.

Back