Storage Temperature

Goreliscious

I've got a question about storing drums...

I leave a set of PDP drums in my old bedroom at my parents place stacked up in Protection Racket furry/padded bags. My parents live in the countryside and I don't leave a radiator on in the room when I'm not there so it can get very cold. The Protection Racket bags seem to keep the drums at a good temperature though.

All fine and dandy except I'd like to use the bags on my other drum kit which is at my flat and I can't afford to buy a second set of bags. I'm reluctant to take the bags from my parents place though as I'm worried my PDP kit will warp/the wrap will bubble in the cold -- a friend who has the same PDP kit as me says he sometimes leave his kit in his car overnight...the wraps on his kit are not in good shape.

How can I store my PDP kit without the bags, but without them being affected? Wrapping them up in a blanket seems like a real faff, but I don't want to leave a radiator on whilst I'm not there -- not good for their bills or the planet! Does anyone know at what sort of temperatures drums will be affected? I tend to go back there every weekend, (and put the radiator on), so I can imagine that if I left the drums bare and open to the cold for 5 days, then I whack up the temperature for 2 days, the temperature change wouldn't do them much good.

Any help would be appreciated.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
The drums will be fine in the unheated room without the bags.
A blanket will prevent dust and scratches.
Sunlight and high humidity hurt drums, not cold.

Goreliscious

That's good to hear, anyone second that?

Though, a few years back I had a Tama Rockstar kit which was always left setup in the same room and the wrap bubbled in a few places...and that's whilst I was living there.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
The wrap on the Rockstar bubbled for other reasons than cold.
Usually it is sunlight that bubbles wrap.

D

Doctor Dirt

Loosen the heads a little and before you tighten them let the plastic warm up if they've been under 50degrees. Give the plastic a chance to relax before you add pressure. Doc

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
That's good to hear, anyone second that?
Yes. I have left drums in a truck in Canadian winters for days on end without a problem. You should maybe be careful about sudden drastic changes in temperature though. And the aforementioned humidity and sunlight.

larryz

Platinum Member
They should be fine in the colder air. I'd be more worried about a hot attic. But I keep my kit on the 3rd floor of my house with no heat and it gets in the low 50 degree temperatures during the winter. I'd second the suggestion about loosening the heads.

Soupy

Silver Member
When the heat is off, the bags do absolutely nothing to keep the drums warm. There will be absolutely no difference with them on or off. There is no heat source inside the drum which the bag can insulate to retain heat around the drum. Once the radiator is off, the entire room, bags, and drums drops in temperature.

Nuka

I've had my Mapex sitting in a garage which is only a single ply asbestos and holes in the roof a year now, through the snow and everything else. (I kept them in the original plastic bags and cardboard boxes they came in though)

They're fine. I get them out regularly and there's no distortion to shape or sound.

I've since moved them to a brick built shed which actually holds the cold, and the place I practice doesn't have much heating either.

Not quite Candadian, though I am in the the north of England so it's all good.

I wouldn't worry about it to be honest. People keep and play their kits in worse places and conditions. And I know a kit is precious to it's player, but it's not like you've got the most high end kit. If you look at it that way I guess it doesn't matter too much cost wise, though I understand the sentiment behind it all.

motleyh

Your drums should be fine. The trick is to bring them to a new temperature gradually rather than make a big change all of a sudden. For example, for years I kept my working kit in an unheated garage so I could just load the car or unload it easily. Very cold in the winter, very hot in summer. But by the time I got to a gig, the time in the car had brought the gear up or down to room temperature over half and hour or more and everything was ready to use and tune when needed.

Watch the humidity, though. I once encountered a kit that was stored near a furnace for a long time and the dry air had caused some cracking of wood hoops, etc.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
And that's the key, slow changes.
I just finally finished some drum shells in my garage, where it was about 40 degrees. In order to transport them into the house safely, I put them in hard cases. This prevents a sudden shift in temperature, which *could* case a shell/wrap to crack.