Stoopid drum deal of the day: Sonor Jungle

Blisco

I've been >< this close to pulling the trigger on a Safari kit for many years and lately I've decided that having this option for acoustic gigs or low volume is finally viable. This would coincide with my cajon/perc set up too. I have 3 choices based on the gig. Okay, sweet.

Today, I was cruising ebay for jungle/safari kits and came across this sponsored link. The price caught my eye.

http://www.americanmusical.com/ItemSearch--search-Sonor-Jungle--srcin-1

So I clicked and couldn't believe this deal. It's the maple Force kit, which is usually $799 everywhere. Well, let's see what options are available, shall we??

Brown Galaxy Sparkle!! The one I want! and a FREE snare stand!!??

I bought it this morning. How could I not? Worst case, it becomes the at-home practice kit and I leave the Keystone's bagged and ready to go. Back in the late 90's, I had one of the original Jungle kits from Germany in satin black. I used to rock an eleven piece horn band with it. Mic'd up beautifully. Stage space was at a premium with 11 guys so it made total sense. I have never gotten over how great that little kit sounded. Now, I 'm back and can't wait to play it on some smaller stages and venues. For about $100 more than a poplar Safari, I've got a maple jungle kit similar to the old one I used to have. Better hardware and finish is a win/win for me.

Just wanted to let you guys know about this. May be the time to join the jungle drum revolution

Edit: pics added up here
This is what I cobbled together for tonight. Kind of a mix of Atlas and DW and note the Sonor snare stand I got is put to use for the Scissors Lift as a ride stand. Fairly ingenious use of hardware if I do say so myself. Other than some minor adjustments, the parts I used from my regular kit will go back with little fussing.

First: Jojo approved!

Second: wacky snaride stand

Third: obligatory driver shot

Last edited:
Does look like a killer deal- I've seen these Sonor Jungle sets and always wished I had one- a highly upgraded Safari so it must sound incredible.

Yeah, looks like a great deal.

And how can you go wrong with a drum set called "Jungle".

I would love to answer the question, "What kind of drums are those?" "They are jungle drums".

I caught that ad too. Zzounds is also selling for that price. I'm debating it.

I caught that ad too. Zzounds is also selling for that price. I'm debating it.

I'm pretty sure zzounds is the same company by the way. Every now and then I notice a one off item for sale on both sites. I can't remember the name, but there is a third site by the same company as well.

Either way, the jungle kit looks like a good deal!

Great deal! Read this though: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/American_Musical_Supply

3.5 / 10 stars our of 65 reviews...not too good. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky one's with no issues, I hope so, great deal!

I've purchased a lot of things from AMS. A LOT. Guitar, bass, drum and recording and have never had an issue with them. Just ordered some monitors from them this afternoon.

Zzzzounds and AMS are the same company.

Tracking shows I should have it tomorrow morning. If this is true, I would have to give AMS 5 gold stars.

Now the question is whether I should take it to my gig tomorrow night.

Tracking shows I should have it tomorrow morning. If this is true, I would have to give AMS 5 gold stars.

Now the question is whether I should take it to my gig tomorrow night.

Let us know when it arrives and how the process with them was! It's tempting!

Let us know when it arrives and how the process with them was! It's tempting!

Yeah, I will. The sale confirmation came through right away. The tracking info came through late last night. So far, so good.

For that price, I can see why you went for it and I'm glad to see a couple drummers on here have had luck with the seller in the past. Okay, fine, so I pulled the trigger on a maple finish myself. :)

Worst case, at that price it could always be sold for no loss or even a small profit locally. However, I fully expect to love this little kit. I originally wanted a Sonor Ascent Jazz kit (around $1700) as a switch for me to a smaller kit (or maybe a Gretsch Renown) from my larger 7 piece Yamaha RC's with the big old power toms and 22" bass. Smaller is the idea and higher tuning.

Went with a PDP Concept Maple (12,14,20)which has been great for low to mid tuning but I just can't get the high end I love so much and for whatever reason I've just not been able to get comfortable behind that kit. I'll play them both for a while and one will go. I have a feeling the Sonor will be staying :)

I got it at 9:04 this morning. Unboxed and set up in about 20 minutes.

It's soooo tiny. I love it. The finish is far, far better with the naked eye. The hardware is typical German; solid and well thought out. She's a looker. I can see why this kit sells for $800. The bass hoops are just lovely.

Now, to tune it up some this afternoon and see what she's got under the hood.

AMS and FedEx delivered. My pics don't

Awesome stuff, Blisco. I ordered items from AMS on occasion and never had any problems with them.

I got it at 9:04 this morning. Unboxed and set up in about 20 minutes.

It's soooo tiny. I love it. The finish is far, far better with the naked eye. The hardware is typical German; solid and well thought out. She's a looker. I can see why this kit sells for $800. The bass hoops are just lovely.

Now, to tune it up some this afternoon and see what she's got under the hood.

AMS and FedEx delivered. My pics don't

Re the hardware on your Jungle kit- it looks just like the hardware that came with my Sonor Safari and Sonor Players Kit. They might all share the same specs for tom mounts, floor toms, bass drum spurs. I've found them to be sturdy, high quality, easily adjustable-- actually more so than the Ludwig Club Date (Cavern Club SE) hardware which seems flimsy in comparison.

Single ply Remo Sonor UT Chinese heads with a stripe and light felt muffling around the edges. The 'bass' drum heads have a very wide underlay and feel 2 ply but I think they're just 14mil or something.

They are serviceable for tonight. The shells sound really good. Playing them at a higher tension than my Keystone, for instance, but the tone is pure. I have some tweaking to do but the venue tonight is quite big, so I will leave the fine tuning til when I get there.

I'm guessing my preferred PS3 clear batters over Amb (like on my Keystone) will be a great combo. It's basically what these UT heads seem to be.

Nice score! Can you describe the mounting system for the rack tom? Is it fastened to the shell or the lugs? From the stock photos it looks like it has a 3-point connection.

Back