Stones backline

Yup, DW snare. Notice in the video the 2nd one on the back side of the riser -it's a more shallow depth.

Found this online:
0c5b075b3a3dc74db2476cb066df28a7.jpg

..A true professional..

I will be the first one to agree with this..

And every avarage rockband of today would be very happy to write 1 song during their complete carreer of the same quality like the worst song on any Rolling Stones album from the 60's till early 70's..

But still, i feel kinda sorry for everyone who pays now a looot of money to see their show, because this is just not ok anymore..

Yes, mobile phone quality, etc, but if you just can not deliver anymore the quality that people should expect for that money, then is better to quit..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXmh8zTNJaE

What is not 'just not ok anymore'? People always have a choice.
Perhaps their show is 'quality enough' for the people who pay to see them? Its not like a bunch of aging fans are selling their first born or mortgaging their homes to go see the Stones, and feeling ripped off.

I've been a Stones fan my whole life. I wouldn't go see them now because its a nostalgic phenom, but to anybody else who wishes to go, power to them.

Story has it his beloved Gretsch kit he got used in 1972 or ‘73 while recording with Ron Wood in LA. They hired the kit and he loved it so much he bought it. Up until then he was using Gretsch and even Ludwig in the earlier days. He’s been using that I it ever since!

And every avarage rockband of today would be very happy to write 1 song during their complete carreer of the same quality like the worst song on any Rolling Stones album from the 60's till early 70's..

Clearly, the Rolling Stones have had a long and successful career, and have recorded some of the most memorable songs of the last half-century. That much, I agree with.

But I respectfully disagree that an "average rockband" can't compete on song quality. A lot of Stones songs are basic blues songs--no better or worse than what a lot of bands play.

There are a LOT of great musicians out there writing killer music today. Might not appeal as much to you (just as your favorite tunes may or may not appeal to me), but there is still great music being written.

I just can't get over he is still using what looks like a cheap and uncomfortable thrown.

True. I couldn't believe John Bonham was using one of those cheap Ludwig thrones back in the day, either.

But I do believe that if your butt gets used to what's available - and back then that was it - then that's what you're used to. Besides, I doubt Charlie or John Bonham ever got to be as big as their slightly over-weight American counterparts, so they were light enough to be comfortable ;)

True. I couldn't believe John Bonham was using one of those cheap Ludwig thrones back in the day, either.

Besides, I doubt Charlie or John Bonham ever got to be as big as their slightly over-weight American counterparts, so they were light enough to be comfortable ;)

When you see photos of Bonzo in '79 & '80, his girth had definitely increased. His butt was just used to that kind of throne I guess.

..What is not 'just not ok anymore'? People always have a choice..

When someone bought a ticket somewhere between 132 - 450 dollars and the first thing that he/she hears when they start is what i posted, then to me thats not ok anymore..

When people have to be lucky to have tickets for an evening that Keith Richards can find his chords, but still they have to pay such ticketprices, then in my opinion that comes very close to ripping people off..

When someone bought a ticket somewhere between 132 - 450 dollars and the first thing that he/she hears when they start is what i posted, then to me thats not ok anymore..

When people have to be lucky to have tickets for an evening that Keith Richards can find his chords, but still they have to pay such ticketprices, then in my opinion that comes very close to ripping people off..

I looked at tickets for the currently tour (admitidly left it late so they may have been cheaper seats at point of sale) It was around £230 ($303) for the highest level stadium seats, miles away from the stage.

Way, way too much for an hour and a half of music. If people are happy paying that then that’s cool but at the same time it inflates other gig tickets so the knock on effect isn’t good.

Me? No chance. Shame as I’d love to see them but not at those prices.

In all due respect, you're not getting it. They don't have to pay such ticket prices. You don't , I don't ....they don't have to either. There are market forces in ticket prices, supply-demand etc. for a given band, old or young, and the same goes for sports players and so on. Is it right? Not always , but its called economics.

People knowingly buy ticket prices for oldster acts to re-live their youth. We can argue whether the Stones should have hung up live playing 15 years ago but there are hordes who have bought tickets to them MANY times since then, and been happy about it.

C'mon.... the thread was just about looking at somebody's gear. But you've chosen yet another thread to inject another unrelated negative opinion about drums, a band or a situation.

..C'mon.... the thread was just about looking at somebody's gear. But you've chosen yet another thread to inject another unrelated negative opinion about drums, a band or a situation..

Also with all respect..

What i wrote is in my opinion not negative, but (subjectively) realistic, and a lot of people on this earth agree with this..Maybe not you, thats fine..Maybe you disagree with everything i ever write, thats also fine, really, no problem at all..

I replied to 'being a professional' and what i wrote is in my opinion not more off-topic than bringing John Bonham into the discussion..

There are very little threads on this board that stay completely 100% to the thread-title and i think thats no problem at all..

My advice, try to not take things that personal..They are only written opinions on a drumforum, nothing to get upset about..

Charlie Watts has nice gear btw..

The batter head of Charlie's snare is quite worn looking-- perhaps he favors a used head and doesn't feel it's necessary to change heads each show (some other well known touring drummers have said they routinely put on new batter heads each show)?

The batter head of Charlie's snare is quite worn looking-- perhaps he favors a used head and doesn't feel it's necessary to change heads each show (some other well known touring drummers have said they routinely put on new batter heads each show)?

I believe The Edge (U2) makes his tech change strings every night for each guitar. He has 20 or so ready every night. Most only seeing a song or two.

I drove 600 miles to Denver to see the Stones in 1981 - their "farewell tour". So much for that.

Back