Sting's 2020 Tour - Is Vinnie playing in Sting's band?

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
Mr. Bernhard Castiglioni recently posted a video of Josh Freese with Sting. I don't know if that's the current roster though.

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..If you know who this is???..

I think thats not a show from 2020 to be honest..

But apart from that, i think at this moment in his career, no drummer in the world (or actually no one at all) will be able to put a little energy into his shows..

Still, at least a few days ago, Josh Freese still seems to be in touch with him..

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I think thats not a show from 2020 to be honest..

But apart from that, i think at this moment in his career, no drummer in the world (or actually no one at all) will be able to put a little energy into his shows..

Still, at least a few days ago, Josh Freese still seems to be in touch with him..
I went by the title. "Sting Live Concert 2020"

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
and just in case you've always wondered,

Born 2 October 1951, in Wallsend, north-east England, Gordon Sumner's life started to change the evening a fellow musician in the Phoenix Jazzmen caught sight of his black and yellow striped sweater and decided to re-christen him Sting.

TK-421

I'm reasonably sure that video is not from 2020. Sting has been in LA performing in his Broadway show The Last Ship since January 14, and the show runs through next month. Given all the rehearsals that take place right before a show starts, I find it highly unlikely that he had time to fly to Russia to perform during the first two weeks of this year (at 33:41, someone says "Hey Moscow").

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..I'm reasonably sure that video is not from 2020. Sting has been in LA performing in his Broadway show The Last Ship since January 14, and the show runs through next month..

The video is also uploaded on january 1 btw..

I tried to find if he played somewhere that day, but no tour dates to be found to confirm that..

MntnMan62

Vinnie has been busy touring with Herbie Hancock, at least earlier this year. Caught their show at The Beacon Theater. Amazing. Don't know if Herbie is still on tour though.

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..I'd say, Josh is just following the example set 40 years ago..

Yes, he is, but in the wrong way..

Such things are always about opinion, but in my opinion The Police with Copeland has a complete different sort of energy than Sting with Freese or even with Colaiuta..

The Police with Copeland oft sounded very busy and rushed, but still with a sort of "lightness", at least to my ears..

Colaiuta also plays with a lot of energy, but when Sting plays those Police songs without Summers and Copeland, they just sound kinda "dull" and "flat" in my opinion, but compared with Freese, Colaiuta always played with much more taste..

Like i said, other people will maybe have a different opinion, but to me Freese is just kinda "trying" and "forcing", in a situation thats way different than 40 years ago..

I mean, compare Sting from that Synchronicity video to Sting now.............or....to Sting the past 20 years actually...............

Davo-London

Gold Member
I wasn't expecting a slag-fest! I do like to see Vinnie play and I was hoping it would be Him. No-one is like Copeland that's for sure.
Thanks for confirming John Freese.
Davo

NouveauCliche

I wasn't expecting a slag-fest! I do like to see Vinnie play and I was hoping it would be Him. No-one is like Copeland that's for sure.
Thanks for confirming John Freese.
Davo
It's Josh - he's posted his tour scheduled on IG and he has Sting Dates.

My wife just bought us tickets for a Vegas show- can't wait! Josh is killer...yes he's a rocker- but you watch him play 7 days and he nails Vinnie's part which is something I've seen drummers as good as Manu not even try live.

Can't wait! Love Josh!