Still using out of the box drumheads, 5 years

Cenax

I bought a Tama kit of some variety around 5 years ago. A year or two ago I was told changing my heads might make the kit sound better. Everything is still as it was.. I did buy a new pair of sticks recently because my old pair is a bit chewed up, but the drum kit itself has seen any wear. My only problem is with the tom tom heads, but even from day 1 they were extremely high pitched and sound more like a guitar string being plucked then a drum.

Vipercussionist

Silver Member
Swingstar. I'm looking at Evans EC2 drumheads for the toms. I have a 12, 13, 16
Yes, usually new better quality heads WILL make a difference. They MIGHT give you a rounder deeper tone than the stock heads Tama puts on their kits, ESPECIALLY if they're 5 years dead!!

Check eBay, there are auctions for some slightly USED heads and you can save a ton of cash if you find a good auction. So what if they've got a few hours playing on them. As long as they're not dented or ripped or something you'll be fine!!

Cenax

So I just attached three new heads, EC2's that come in a 3 pack for my type of kit.

I forgot to pick up resonant heads.. but I noticed my resonant heads are thinner then my old batter heads, so I am using my old batter heads now as resonent heads and now in total my drums have a nice deep sound.. I think I was overtuning them. I however tried to retune my snare and now its completely screwed up and sounds terribad.

con struct

Platinum Member
So I just attached three new heads, EC2's that come in a 3 pack for my type of kit.

I forgot to pick up resonant heads.. but I noticed my resonant heads are thinner then my old batter heads, so I am using my old batter heads now as resonent heads and now in total my drums have a nice deep sound.. I think I was overtuning them. I however tried to retune my snare and now its completely screwed up and sounds terribad.
Well, new heads means new heads, top and bottom. Using old batter heads as resonant heads is just...well, it's illegal! Yuck.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Actually I did that once and it cut down on some unpleasant overtones from my Pearl Forum, so it can work!

Cenax

I switched back to my stock heads. I have new evans EC2 heads, but the floor tom head I got was warped and doesn't sound good. Oh well, ill buy another someday soon.

I guess the snare and bass drum come next, after I get some new reso's.. Its all very expensive.