Still struggling with which set to go with?

You can still get new MIJ Starclassics, it’s offered on their Tama’s Japanese site and retail last I checked though more expensive than MIC.

Those 3 kits are all very different, Collector is a different price range too.

I have a Yamaha Oak Custom, which I realize is a nice set, but really want to try something new. I have bounced around getting a DW Collectors, Ludwig Classic Maple, but I am also very interested in the Sonor SQ1. Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to play the SQ1, but the reviews seem to be very good. Any thoughts on the SQ1 vs, say the DW Collectors?
I have a DW Collector's Maple Standard currently, had a top shelf Pearl kit, played many a Classic Maple, Star Bubinga, and have an SQ2 thin birch build on order.

But the one that will outlast them all and the true love of my life is the Tama Starclassic Maple. Unreal resonance, fullness, explosive dynamic range, clarity, attack and projection. 4 decades of playing and a lot of musical education speaking here, not trying to boast, in all of that no other kit beats it regardless of price.

You can still get new MIJ Starclassics, it’s offered on their Tama’s Japanese site and retail last I checked though more expensive than MIC.

Those 3 kits are all very different, Collector is a different price range too.
No need for MIJ Starclassics. Played and owned both and the MIC are truly equal, other than the badge and sticker inside the shell.

Watch the Drumeo video on the Tama facility in the Guangzhou region of China. Rivals anything America or Europe has. THREE full time quality engineers on staff from Japan HQ live in China and work at this facility. I just took delivery of my second SCM and am once again blown away with the build quality and craftsmanship. It's right up there with my DW and (soon to be Sonor) kit.

You kind of made my point. Container costs are a big issue right now which I would think would fall under the supply chain issue. Try ordering an add on tom from Tama. Let me know what they tell you for an ETA. Whether they assemble their drums in PA is up for debate and even if they do they still have to ship in the hardware, as well as the shells from China.

Also, why pay $3K for a Starclassic Maple when you can get a Sonor Prolite (on sale), SQ1, Vintage Series, or Gretsch Brooklyn, Ludwig CM? They're better kits IMHO.
Lots of Tama SC for a lot less than $3k. The average for a 3 piece kit is probably under $2K. I don't see many Brooklyn or CM for under $2k. Sonor Vintage starts around $2,500 or higher for a 3 piece.

Where are those new $3,000 Prolite kits?

I have owned a lot of kits over the years used to own a DW Collectors maple and currently own a Ludwig Classic Maple . I have also owned multiple sets of Sonor Vintage kits and played lots of Sonor SQ1 kits .

Here is my unsolicited opinion - get the Ludwig Classic Maples - great sounding drums that are well made and still pretty reasonably priced . My particular kit has Birdseye maple veneer inside and out and it as beautiful as it looks .

I am still a fan of DW Collectors maples too , and love the amount of exotic veneers they have available . I know that look isn’t for everyone but I like it .

The Sonor SQ1 IMHO are the best production 100% birch kit made today . I even like them
More than the BDC Legend kits . My only issue with the SQ1 is that none of the finishes particularly excites me . Sure it is probably pretty shallow to disregard a model for their appearance but I have found that I need the full package of sound and appearance I like . I have settled on kits before that I did not love the finish and always ended up selling them .

Classic Maples are a lot of bang for your buck. I owned a DW Collectors kit for a while and never connected with it. It did the low, boomy thing well but I could never get it to sing the way I wanted to.

I also owned a Ludwig Legacy Maple for a while and loved it. While it’s not exactly the same as the Classic Maple, it gave me an appreciation for Ludwig and really impressed me with the tone I could get out of it and the “feel” of the kit as well. Very warm and responsive. I would imagine Classic Maples are just as good.

I like Pearl. The Masters MCX series has always been my "go-to" brand. Over the last couple years I've been drawn in by Pearl Music City Custom brand. Wow! They're a step up from my beloved MCX series. Very nice!

There's something about Ludwig CM's that get to me. It's the best drum I've ever heard.

YMMV

Put on some good headphones and listen to these. These are an accurate representation of what these sound like (I have a set in these exact sizes).

Those toms in the second video are MEATY. 13/16/18?

There are several DW Performance kits popping up at lower prices that Ludwig CM. I like the lighter weight of the DW Performance shells. And they sound excellent, too. Lots of great finishes. Check out what The Drum Shop, Portland Maine has in stick.

I have a Yamaha Oak Custom, which I realize is a nice set, but really want to try something new. I have bounced around getting a DW Collectors, Ludwig Classic Maple, but I am also very interested in the Sonor SQ1. Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to play the SQ1, but the reviews seem to be very good. Any thoughts on the SQ1 vs, say the DW Collectors?
I’ve never played a DW anything, but I own the SQ1. Phenomenal kit. Change the skins and it’s an entirely different animal. I also had the Vintage and sold it (gasp, how dare I?) because the SQ1 is more versatile (rounded edges only get you so far—I stand by that statement). It will scratch, so be careful, and it is heavy because it’s nearly a heavy birch shell and Sonor doesn’t make anything light.

You can play anything on the SQ1. It’s loud and sensitive and feels great under the hands. The TuneSafe system is no joke: mine have held their tuning since day 1. The only criticism I have is the sound sustainer mount. It’s not my favorite, but the shells are first rate. Under mics, unbelievable. Incredible low end.

Zombie thread is right. I wonder if the OP ever bought a new set? It was three years ago.

Back