Still struggling with which set to go with?

Atl MM

I have a Yamaha Oak Custom, which I realize is a nice set, but really want to try something new. I have bounced around getting a DW Collectors, Ludwig Classic Maple, but I am also very interested in the Sonor SQ1. Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to play the SQ1, but the reviews seem to be very good. Any thoughts on the SQ1 vs, say the DW Collectors?

There's something about Ludwig CM's that get to me. It's the best drum I've ever heard.

YMMV

Put on some good headphones and listen to these. These are an accurate representation of what these sound like (I have a set in these exact sizes).

I love SONOR drums-best kit's I've played in person was a Brady and Beech SQ2 a friend had set up head to head.
The SQ1's caught my eye too. But I'd have to say I'd look at Ludwig Classic maple also. Nothing against good birch drums (I'd buy a Kumu though) but I think SONOR really does modern sound well-and a joy to play their instruments. But I think the Ludwigs might have more diverse functionality being maple and different heads and tunings. I guess it depends on what you are looking for-I still hold SONOR in high esteem and I think they really suit me personally more.

I love SONOR drums-best kit's I've played in person was a Brady and Beech SQ2 a friend had set up head to head.
The SQ1's caught my eye too. But I'd have to say I'd look at Ludwig Classic maple also. Nothing against good birch drums (I'd buy a Kumu though) but I think SONOR really does modern sound well-and a joy to play their instruments. But I think the Ludwigs might have more diverse functionality being maple and different heads and tunings. I guess it depends on what you are looking for-I still hold SONOR in high esteem and I think they really suit me personally more.

I'm intrigued by the Sonor Vintage series. They have a really cool vibe to them. I'd love to play a set some day.

SQ1's are a very good kit. I had one and liked everything about it except the satin finish. No more satin, semi-gloss, or matte finishes for me. They scratch too easily.

Why do people insert other kits when the OP is asking specifically about one kit or the other? Annoying.

Why do people insert other kits when the OP is asking specifically about one kit or the other? Annoying.

Because Tama is the best. 😁😁😁😁
I'm sure I'd be quite happy with any of them. I've never owned Sonor and think they are top notch but I've own some of the others and they were great.

Because Tama is the best. 😁😁😁😁
I'm sure I'd be quite happy with any of them. I've never owned Sonor and think they are top notch but I've own some of the others and they were great.
Unless you're talking about the Star line, they're just another Chinese stencil kit.

Unless you're talking about the Star line, they're just another Chinese stencil kit.
I was just joking.. Actually I know very little about the new kits coming out of China.. I have made in Japan Yamaha and Tamas. The only newer kit I have is my 2019 ludwig club date

Yep. Sure looks like they make crappy little stencil kits there.
I was half joking but the reality is the whole "Let's move our production to China" is not looking so smart right now what with the trade disagreements,tarrifs, and supply chain issues partially due to Covid. You're paying $3K MAP for that kit that @cbphoto had posted. When you consider the whole idea was to keep labor costs lower they failed to realize the potential for trade/supply chain issues. You used to be able to get that China made Starclassic kit for 1999-2299 MAP range. Yamaha RC's are up around $3999 now. Ugh, not from me thank you. USA, German, and Japanese made kits are now not really that much more expensive, if at all. That's where you'll find my dollars going. I'm not alone either.

Tama drums sold in America are assembled and kept in Bensalem, PA, about 4.5hours from you. I would say their logistics chain is pretty solid. Anything imported to the US, regardless of origin, is going to cost more simply because the container costs more and the company will never eat that cost, they'll pass it through to the end consumer. The same shipping issue applies to the lumber that any manufacturer uses, it costs more to ship and takes longer to get so the customer pays more (or gets a smaller size for the same price)
I'm waiting to see if shrinkflation hits drums and all the sudden toms get just a little smaller. Or hardware tube diameter shrinks 2cm.

Here's the SONOR SQ1 factory.

The Vintage Sonor's look interesting-though I'm not fond of finishes-I'd like to play one.

Tama drums sold in America are assembled and kept in Bensalem, PA, about 4.5hours from you. I would say their logistics chain is pretty solid. Anything imported to the US, regardless of origin, is going to cost more simply because the container costs more and the company will never eat that cost, they'll pass it through to the end consumer. The same shipping issue applies to the lumber that any manufacturer uses, it costs more to ship and takes longer to get so the customer pays more (or gets a smaller size for the same price)
I'm waiting to see if shrinkflation hits drums and all the sudden toms get just a little smaller. Or hardware tube diameter shrinks 2cm.
You kind of made my point. Container costs are a big issue right now which I would think would fall under the supply chain issue. Try ordering an add on tom from Tama. Let me know what they tell you for an ETA. Whether they assemble their drums in PA is up for debate and even if they do they still have to ship in the hardware, as well as the shells from China.

Also, why pay $3K for a Starclassic Maple when you can get a Sonor Prolite (on sale), SQ1, Vintage Series, or Gretsch Brooklyn, Ludwig CM? They're better kits IMHO.

I was half joking but the reality is the whole "Let's move our production to China" is not looking so smart right now what with the trade disagreements,tarrifs, and supply chain issues partially due to Covid.
The other element never mentioned is how little the Chinese care about what they produce. They do their job not to make the best drums (or whatever) available but to elevate their society. Their pride is in the fact that they are producing wealth for the CCP, not for the individual.

When Tama moved Starclassic production to China, all us fanboys wept. Tama issued a statement (via Terry Bissette, which is posted somewhere on this forum) proclaiming the virtues of the move to China. Then Yamaha severed ties with Sakae and moved production to China. More tears.

After World War II (and Japan invading China), China built an alliance with Japan that would eventually elevate China‘s economy and military strength above Japan. I was very surprised that any Japanese company went to China for manufacturing.

This map (from Statista) shows us there could be a problem in the future:

Image-1-494x1024.jpg

I was half joking but the reality is the whole "Let's move our production to China" is not looking so smart right now what with the trade disagreements,tarrifs, and supply chain issues partially due to Covid. You're paying $3K MAP for that kit that @cbphoto had posted. When you consider the whole idea was to keep labor costs lower they failed to realize the potential for trade/supply chain issues. You used to be able to get that China made Starclassic kit for 1999-2299 MAP range. Yamaha RC's are up around $3999 now. Ugh, not from me thank you. USA, German, and Japanese made kits are now not really that much more expensive, if at all. That's where you'll find my dollars going. I'm not alone either.
I know that it's been a couple of years now but I feel like the USA made clubdate 3 pc shell pack for under $1,500 was a good price for high quality drums. The lack of memory locks for the kick spurs is my only complaint. Love the drums.

Back