Sticks slipping

Timmy

Here's what I use:

Should last a long time too because you only need a small dab. I wet my hands first then add cream and let dry.
Some sticks I don't need to spray with lacquer because they are already painted. Like the Weckl sticks I have. I don't have a problem dropping sticks as much as the fulcrum moving around (I'm a jazzer mostly and hold my sticks losely via traditional grip).
Now, if your a young sweaty basher, this method is not for you.

oldmetalhead

I just tried some blue Krylon spray paint and it feels sticky already. I am doing another drum video Friday at the TV station where I work. I will keep you informed. Thanks again.

Timmy

Don't get me wrong, stick wax works. If you don't want to go through the pain in the butt process of painting your sticks, just use wax. I just think stick wax is kinda yucky. lol

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I just tried some blue Krylon spray paint and it feels sticky already. I am doing another drum video Friday at the TV station where I work. I will keep you informed. Thanks again.
Yes I have used Krylon clear high gloss spray. And it works great as long as my hands are not really dry. But tennis racket grip tape works in all situations.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
When I was all in to the loose-y goose-y stuff my sticks were flying around (I was barely holding them then, low stick heights, and not hitting hard at all ) so I tried those rubber coated sticks but it does interfere with cross sticking and the rubber flakes off and settles in rim of drum head muffling it after a while. If the sticks are too glossy I'll fine sand them a bit to rough them up. Generally I quite the loose-y goose-y stuff and hit much harder (higher stick heights) so gone the others extreme of a death grip-but still my ride stick slides down to finger tips and I have to move my grip up. Just seems part of the territory-I guess I could really rough them up to get a grip.

loach71

I make my own stick grip compound. I grew sick of paying the expenive prices associated with commercial stick waxes. Purchase one box of PAROWAX brand paraffin wax at the grocery store. While you are there purchase a small bottle of solidified coconut oil. Place all the containers of PAROWAX into a medium sized saucepan. Melt the PAROWAX on the stove (medium heat setting). Place two heaping tablespoonfuls of solidified coconut oil into the melted PAROWAX. Stir until the coconut oil is fully dissolved into the PAROWAX. Pour the resultant solution into some conveniently sized plastic containers. Let sit for a few hours to allow the solution to solidify. Once solidified, pop the stick wax out of the containers and it is ready to use. Please note: this mixture is for use in cold / cool weather. For use in hot weather use only one heaping tablespoonful of solidified coconut oil.

I make my own stick grip compound. I grew sick of paying the expenive prices associated with commercial stick waxes. Purchase one box of PAROWAX brand paraffin wax at the grocery store. While you are there purchase a small bottle of solidified coconut oil. Place all the containers of PAROWAX into a medium sized saucepan. Melt the PAROWAX on the stove (medium heat setting). Place two heaping tablespoonfuls of solidified coconut oil into the melted PAROWAX. Stir until the coconut oil is fully dissolved into the PAROWAX. Pour the resultant solution into some conveniently sized plastic containers. Let sit for a few hours to allow the solution to solidify. Once solidified, pop the stick wax out of the containers and it is ready to use. Please note: this mixture is for use in cold / cool weather. For use in hot weather use only one heaping tablespoonful of solidified coconut oil.
So you're saying that you melt a whole one pound block of wax in a saucepan? That's a lot of wax. At that point, why not just use the paraffin wax bkock and rub it on the sticks? Or, is there a benefit to your method I'm not seeing?

newoldie

Silver Member
I don't sweat in the hands while playing but like a little extra control.
After much experimentation with stick wraps, and some waxes (including Zildjian Stick Wax, which is good but a bit pricey for what you get), I found that the least expensive solution was paraffin wax. Fortunately I have several True Value hardware stores nearby so I could pick it up in person at store (sold online), $5.99 for 4 blocks that should last forever.
I keep 1 block in my bag, 2 in the house for wherever I practice, and 1 in the car for emergencies. The stickiness is very light but it provides just enough tack to keep the slippery sticks from slipping. No issues from blisters since it doesn't create an abrasive feel. Just rubbing it on the grip part of the sticks does the trick, then I hand-mold it a bit to evenly distribute.

loach71

So you're saying that you melt a whole one pound block of wax in a saucepan? That's a lot of wax. At that point, why not just use the paraffin wax bkock and rub it on the sticks? Or, is there a benefit to your method I'm not seeing?
Yes. The coconut oil makes the wax mixture stickier than just PAROWAX.

Mustion

Any time I need to wrap my sticks I use Tourna brand grip tape. I tried many things over the years but this has enough tack to not slip off the stick, but not so much that it gets super grimy. It's cheap and can be found at many stores...

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Any time I need to wrap my sticks I use Tourna brand grip tape. I tried many things over the years but this has enough tack to not slip off the stick, but not so much that it gets super grimy. It's cheap and can be found at many stores...

View attachment 88244
Hey Mustion. I'm going to try some of this stuff. It is less expensive than the grip tape I have been using. THANKS for the tip !

loach71

Would any brand of food-grade wax work? For example, Gulf wax?
You have the right idea -- use food-grade ingredients. Vary the amount of the solidified coconut oil in the mix according to the temperature of the environment in which it will be used. The coconut oil makes the stick grip mix softer. Another bonus is that the girls will like your smooth hands that smell like coconut! ☺

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
Crazy, When I had some Easton years back I used a grip as the aluminum was slippery. I never use grip or tape though and I play a ton of blast beats, chops, hit decently hard and have no issues. It's about being relaxed enough but not too relaxed to let go. The only time I drop a stick is when I miss a hit super bad or catch it on something moving around the kit too fast.

In the gigs I play I don't see ANY drummers with gloves, and maybe 1/10 use dips. I tried some dips for a bit and they destroyed my hands.

oldmetalhead

I tried the gloss paint and here is the result. 5 days later and the paint is still coming off on my hands but here is the video. More beats and less riffs.

Last edited:

dwsabianguy

My hands don't sweat much, so gloss lacquer is a godsend, when I can find it on sticks I like. Those sticks are hard to find. I got a pine tar stick from a sporting goods store that works wonders when I need some extra stickum on my usual Vic Firth sticks. In the wintertime, Working Hands keeps my skin from cracking too badly, but it's not always enough.