Sticks slipping

oldmetalhead

I have seen several different products to help get a better grip on sticks. Which do you prefer? I have tried drummers tape but I see there are several "wax" products.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I wrap my sticks with tennis racket grip tape. It works perfect for me.
Plasti Dip spray works good too. But it wears off after a few months. It develops holes.
I don't break sticks very often. My sticks last for about a year.

Old Dog new Cans

There is a product out there, in spray form--Groove Juice. I think its about $10. I still haven't used the darn Plasti Dip I bought.

Another thing you might try, pine tar--pretty sure they sell it in spray cans. Might be too much, but it sure as heck works. I like the tennis grip tape idea too.

Meter man

I use surfboard wax which works well. However, you do have to reapply and try not to wipe your hands on pants as it can get messy.

vyacheslav

I would experiment with different types/brands of sticks. Regal Tip sticks have a glossy finish that a lot of players feel helps reduce slippage. Ironically/contradictingly, some players feel that a rough/raw/unfinished stick makes it easier to hold without slippage. Pro Mark makes "Naturals", Regal Tip makes "But Naked" and Vater makes "Nude" sticks, all without a lacquer coating.

Also, Vic FIrth, Zildjian and Pro Mark (not sure about Vater) all make "Grip" sticks that are dipped in a plastic/rubber compound halfway down the stick, so the bottom ends have a rubber type gripping surface, similar to tennis racket or athletic tape.

I would try Regal Tip and/or a few of those "Grip" sticks or unlacquered sticks first to see what works best for you.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Jim what about rim clicks? Doesn't the tape muffle the click?

Has anyone ever tried rosin bags?

There might be room in the marketplace for a product that a drummer rubs on their hands for tack, that would just be tacky on wood lol.

I'll be the first butthead to say that it's best not to have to depend on products to keep sticks in the hands. It could be averted with a technique makeover.

Regal Tip sticks supposedly gets tacky after your hands warm the outside.

You could try abrading, or cutting shallow grooves where you hold the stick for less smoothness. Whatever gets you there.

Plasti-dip is useless in my world. Pine tar would get everywhere. I thought Groove Juice was a cymbal cleaner.

I'm imagining sticks with a sandpaper feel to the outside. I bet they would sell like new Iphones.

Last edited:
I occasionally use a product called Take Hold. A waxy product sold in stationary stores used for sorting and handling file papers. Lighter than standard paraffin wax in consistancy.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Jim what about rim clicks? Doesn't the tape muffle the click?
Yes it does. I can't rim click (cross stick) with the grip wrap on the stick. I click with the butt end on the hoop.
Whenever I need to cross stick I grab my special cross stick stick for that.

oldmetalhead

I am taking this opportunity to thank everyone for their suggestions. All of them were good. I have tried stick wrap but as one guy said you cant do rim taps with it. I really liked the idea of the Plasti dip. But all warrant consideration. Thanks again guys. Much appreciated. Oh bye the way. I will be recording another drum video in a few days.
Be well everyone.

Timmy

I now have very dry hands in my old age. I spray my sticks with gloss paint. Works like a charm. I also use hand cream. Some sticks come with gloss coating so no need to paint. Seems most sticks are for sweaty hands.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I've used Pro Mark Stick Rapp (You HAVE to spell it like that if you want the search results to work) and Vater Grip Tape. I prefer the Vater, but I pretty much have to wrap every stick now. It's spoiled me, but it doubles my stick cost.

trickg

Silver Member
Interesting - do most drummers use grip enhancing products? I never have. Reading through this thread, I'm thinking maybe I should give it a shot.

Mr Farkle

I second the hand cream suggestion. I use O’Keeffe’s Working Hands during the winter months. I’ve also tried bees wax on the sticks. Works well. I imagine any candle wax would work too.

BonsaiMagpie

I found with lacquered sticks, sweaty hands would lose them like trying to hold the soap in a communal shower.
I use Vater Matrix and Meinl 5A Hybrid. these aren't coated and stay in my hands all evening irrelevant of how many gallons of sweat are pouring out of me.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Interesting - do most drummers use grip enhancing products? I never have. Reading through this thread, I'm thinking maybe I should give it a shot.
I'll go out on a limb here and guess that maybe 1/3 of drummers tops use them and I feel I'm being generous. Of course I have no factual data to base this on, it's just a guess.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I'll go out on a limb here and guess that maybe 1/3 of drummers tops use them and I feel I'm being generous. Of course I have no factual data to base this on, it's just a guess.
I have an issue with stuff on my hands. There is no way I would be able to intentionally put something on my hands to make them grip. I'd be interested to see the numbers as well.

TMe

I've found that if my skin is dry, I drop sticks more, so +1 for moisturizing. If my skin is dry (in need of moisturizing) and wet (sweaty) at the same time, that's the worst.

A drum teacher told me that I shouldn't grip the sticks firmly, but I should hold them so that I have the maximum amount of skin contact with the stick. When I keep that in mind, I don't drop sticks. When I forget, they go flying.

I tried wax and rosin. Messy, weird feeling, and didn't make much of a difference. Tape worked when I was a basher but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference with a lighter touch.

Some guys who constantly drop sticks end up wearing golf gloves and swear by that. I've never tried it.