Sticks on the brain...

zambizzi

Platinum Member
I saw another thread started today on "the perfect stick" and since I have nothing better to do today at work, I thought I'd comment on the *many* sticks I've tried in the last year.

1. VF Dave Weckl Evolution - used this stick for a long time and got very comfortable with it. It's basically a 5A with a smaller tip and a nice easy-grip lacquer finish. On my third pair I found they started making them quite a bit heavier and had changed the taper and tip.

2. VF Jack DeJohnette - A big, long, heavy stick. I used these for a while and the same thing happened as the Evolutions - they got heavier and the tip changed. Lame.

3. Pro Mark Oak 5A - A nice stick though I don't care for the tip. Quit using when it became too hard to grip it loosely.

4. Pro Mark Hickory 5A - Too light...quit on 'em after 1 pair.

5. VF Buddy Rich - I thought this would be a nice replacement for the DeJohnettes but in the end...too fat.

6. VF Steve Gadd - I liked this stick but hated the sound...of all things. The tip makes for a very weak sound on surfaces.

7. VF Weckl (original) - The jury is still out on this one...I might try them again soon.

8. Vater "Manhattan" - I liked this stick but the diameter was too small...I felt strain and ended up with tendonitis within three days of using these. It was my technique...but still...I gave up on them after that.

9. Zildjian "Anti-Vibe" 5A - I started with these sticks 2 yrs. ago because it was what my teacher was using. I tried them again the other night and realized why I quit using them...awful!

10. Pro Mark "Pro-Grip" 5A - Been using these the last few nights. I like the feel other than they're a bit too light. The pro grip surface is great.

11. VF Mike Terrana - I have been using these on and off for a couple of weeks and keep coming to the conclusion that they're far too light, despite the perfect length and great tip. This would be a *great* stick if it were a bit heavier.

12. VF Akira Jimbo - This is a weird stick that I both love and hate. It tapers at the butt which is cool because it's a 5A length - so it pushes some of the weight to the upper-end of the stick. It's got a GREAT tip...perfect really. However, it's fairly heavy...and after a couple of months using these...I don't think I'll stick w/ them.

13. VF Jojo Mayer - Too short, too fat, too heavy.

That's all I can think of for now, though I'm sure I've tried more. What it comes down to is; I'd still be using either the Evolutions or the DeJohnettes, had VF not altered them to be heavier and changed the shape. Since then I've been looking tirelessly for a good replacement.

I'll post more "reviews" as I try more of them out. I hear Los Cabos makes great sticks but I'd have to order them directly from the company in Canada, which makes it less convenient.

What I need is a heavier Mike Terrana with an Akira Jimbo tip. I need to hurry up and become a competent drummer so I can get my own signature stick! :)

that would be cool to have your own signiture stick.

my favorite sticks that i have used are the Pro Mark: 7A Japanese White Oak.

you should try the japanese white oak it is about the best wood i have found that doesn't break fast.

Yeah I had those down in my list - I used the 5A for a while but they're a bit small and hard to grip. Sticks are tough for me because I have big hands but I don't like big heavy sticks (i.e. 5B, 2B, etc.)

Obviously...I'm very picky ;)

I've narrowed my needs down to something that's easy to grip and no bigger in diameter than the average 5A....no longer than 16" or *maybe* 16.25". I'd even compromise on the tip as long as it rebounds well. The Pro Mark Oak 5A didn't.

I've used Pro-Mark 808 w/nylon tips- oak for rehearsing 'cause they last longer, hickory for gigs 'cause they're a bit lighter- almost exclusively since 1992. They're between a 5A and 5B- closer to the latter. Haven't found a better feeling one yet. Great rebound, (almost) round tip is consistent-sounding when my playing isn't, and durable. I check out sticks now & then but I won't switch until I've found a better model.

I've used the VF Hakim model and like it ok. Tip's a little bigger, and the shaft's a little thicker. I used them in percussion ensemble at ECU. I have a pair of oak Jazz models for lighter/quieter gigs. But for general use, nothing's topped the 808's yet IMO.

Haven't used Pro-Mark sticks in fooorrrreeeevvveeeerrrr. lol

So, I picked up a pair of Shira Kashi Oak in 5b nylon tips. We shall see how well they hold up.

I have become completely addicted to Vater New Orleans Jazz Sticks. http://www.vater.com/newproducts/product.cfm?M=2 Great, light sticks for jazz. I've found that my single strokes somehow become BLAZING FAST with these sticks, probably due to their lightness and shortness. Disadvantages: bead isn't as cymbal-sweet as other sticks like the Manhattan Jazz stick, and it breaks rather easily (especially when subject to lots of rimshots).

I have become completely addicted to Vater New Orleans Jazz Sticks. http://www.vater.com/newproducts/product.cfm?M=2 Great, light sticks for jazz. I've found that my single strokes somehow become BLAZING FAST with these sticks, probably due to their lightness and shortness. Disadvantages: bead isn't as cymbal-sweet as other sticks like the Manhattan Jazz stick, and it breaks rather easily (especially when subject to lots of rimshots).

Those look like a good stick, actually. Maybe I'll give those a try and tack them onto my list. I used the Manhattans for exactly 3 days, like I said. Call it superstition - but I dare not touch 'em again! :) They *seemed* like a great stick but mysteriously caused me to strain whereas other sticks never had.

According to the Vater site, the Stewart Copeland is identical but with a round tip - very similar to the Manhattan. Maybe that would be more to your liking?

timmdrum - those 808's look nice...might have to try those!

I have used many sticks this year as well. My favorites being Vater Copeland models and Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs.

VF X5B's are some wicked sticks. 16-1/2" .595 i personally like smaller sticks, but when you want a semi-fatter one for fat deep hits, this is a good one.
But coming for Christmas are Zildjian Trilok Gurtu double-dipped yellow rubber coating with the finger groove and dark walnut stain... i like those

lol, made this a while ago for fun cause i was EXTREMELY bored
http://cid-74ef76ee56094dfe.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/sticks.xls
i never finished and i think some had to be corrected, but oh well..

Yeah, 5B is out of the question for me. I need something a little more versatile and "quick"...but not too light...but not too heavy...haha!

I have eliminated most sticks based on their gripability (huh?) I'd like a good stick w/ a non-slip surface that I don't have to apply myself (i.e. Plasti-Dip). Something I can order or pick up that is fairly common.

I saw those Triloks in MD - weird looking!

coming for Christmas are Zildjian Trilok Gurtu double-dipped yellow rubber coating with the finger groove and dark walnut stain... i like those

I tried Zildjian sitcks with that rubber DIP coating once... I didn't like them, they were too grippy. so grippy that after a while they even rubbed open the callouses on my hands. painful...

I just walked in the door with twp pair of VHFW Vater Fusion Wood. Just a tad bigger than
7A or Manhattan. I got wooden tips since I seem to have nothing but nylon tips. these have a great diameter for my hands.

According to the Vater site, the Stewart Copeland is identical but with a round tip - very similar to the Manhattan. Maybe that would be more to your liking?

Oh, thanks for the suggestion, I'm really gonna have to try that one out!

I can add the Vater 5A Los Angeles to the list now. I used them tonight and I think they're the best 5A I've played yet! We'll see if I can pick them apart and find something to complain about in the next few days. ;)

I've never played with a good branded pair of sticks, i've always played with cheapo lil ''eagle branded 5A sticks", they are pretty bad, dont give much rebound, have bad tips and break every 3months, so advice, dont buy them lol

3 months! That's fantastic! Either you're not practicing enough or that's one durable stick! I fork over the dough for a pair of sticks about twice a month.

3 months! That's fantastic! Either you're not practicing enough or that's one durable stick! I fork over the dough for a pair of sticks about twice a month.

Yep. I do a pair every 2-3 weeks. I'm on the kit 2 hrs. every night and play w/ the band once a week.

I'll never go back to anything else, i've found my perfect stick :). Its the SD2 Bolero and i just love it so much. The tip gave my cymbals a totally new sound, its like i bought new cymbals. The thickness of the stick coupled with the extra long taper to the tip gives it really nice weight distribution. Although zambizzi i doubt you would like it because of the thickness...but its a real good stick.

I still have yet to find a stick that I will stay with. I usually go in cycles and come back to the Vic Firth 5a. Not that its my stick of choice its just part of the cycle. I'm thinking Vic's are starting to lack quality control cuz they have been splintering more frequently over the years. It could just be my playing though.

I'm never happy with sticks.

Yep. I do a pair every 2-3 weeks. I'm on the kit 2 hrs. every night and play w/ the band once a week.

That's odd. I'm on the kit 6+ hours every day and I change a pair every 6-8 months or so, but I never snap them, it's just a result of wearing down too much and getting a bad sound.

The Vater Los Angeles 5A's are bangin but...

VF ERSKINE'S ALL THE WAY, BABY!

Back