Sticker?

sirbuster223

I have always debated this topic in my head weather or not I should get a sticker for my batter head.

I use to have one with metal plates in it that made a really sick sound... but after a few hours of playing on them, they just come right off.

Whats the value and need for having a double sticker where your beaters hit the bass drum??

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I'm guessing you're talking about a beater patch, like a falam slam?

It's a kevlar patch that is simply there to protect the head. There's debate as to it's impact on the sound, but their purpose is to provide durability to the head.

I've had them on my bass drum for many years. I've never seen one come off. What brand are you using?

MikeM

Platinum Member
I used to break bass drum heads with some regularity, but since those bullet-proof patches started shipping with heads and I started to use them, I haven't broken a head in years. Now that I think about it, I've never broken a bass drum head with one of those on.

Spreggy

Silver Member
Very effective at extending the life of the head, as said above. Of course they have a tonal impact, that I would describe as highlighting the brighter, slappier sound of the head.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Very effective at extending the life of the head, as said above. Of course they have a tonal impact, that I would describe as highlighting the brighter, slappier sound of the head.
Spregg-ster,

Are you referring to the Falam Slam patch in particular? If not which one? I don't use patches, but will if it does this to the sound. I like attack. Plus with the added benefit of longer head life, that's a home run.

Spreggy

Silver Member
Hey Lucky Larry (judging by your recent posts ;^) ), I've been using the Evans AF patch recently, which is kevlar, and I think it has a pronounced pop. I've used the Remo Falam Slam also, I think the results were basically the same. Evans has an assortment of plastic, nylon, and kevlar to play with. Their site says the plastic has almost no effect on tone, the nylon softens the attack, and the kevlar has a pronounced click.

brady

Platinum Member
I simply stick a piece of moleskin to my batter head instead of a kick pad. However, that may not very last long for some of the heavier hitters.

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
I noticed that my pedal beater felt surface has worn down quickly since I installed a patch on the drum head. Is this a coincidence or tied to the patch in any way?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Thanks Spreggy...I wonder what would happen if I put a nicotine patch on my bd head?
Brady where's that cheerleader avatar with the helium hiney? Who's the new guy?

sirbuster223

I'm guessing you're talking about a beater patch, like a falam slam?

It's a kevlar patch that is simply there to protect the head. There's debate as to it's impact on the sound, but their purpose is to provide durability to the head.

I've had them on my bass drum for many years. I've never seen one come off. What brand are you using?
I use to have this thing that litterally had metal plates inside of it, and the sticky substance just didnt cut it for the abuse.

I've never tried the falam slam. However I've heard good things about it. I'm going to try that.

Thanks everyone! I think I got a good input on drummers. Thanks all!

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I use to have this thing that litterally had metal plates inside of it, and the sticky substance just didnt cut it for the abuse.

I've never tried the falam slam. However I've heard good things about it. I'm going to try that.

Thanks everyone! I think I got a good input on drummers. Thanks all!
Ah, you had the Danmar Metal Kick Pad. The thing about that one is you have to make sure the beater hits the metal plate dead center every time. If it gets hit off center, the metal disk flex out, and either cuts through the plastic, or can pull itself off.

I've used the Remo Falam Slam and the Aquarian version for years, and never had an issue.

Up2Speed

Thanks Spreggy...I wonder what would happen if I put a nicotine patch on my bd head?
Larry you can check out my avatar while waiting for Brady's reply. :)

brady

Platinum Member
My cheerleader is semi-retired. She still lives in my "Pictures" folder though. She still has that helium hiney too...

I just thought it was time to mix it up.

The new guy is Ed Thigpen.

Larry you can check out my avatar while waiting for Brady's reply. :)
I'll check it out too. Nice...